Looking For Recommendations For Arthritis Supplements For Ava

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

I am looking for recs for arthritis supplements. My senior girl Ava is about to be 11 and was diagnosed about 18 months ago with arthritis and flattened femur heads (congenital) by a vet ortho. He told us this is probably why she washed out of track training. She started limping last yr and after lots of tests, sedation Xrays and a fortune in ortho consults we were got our diagnosis. I've had her on Rimadyl and Cosequin supplements. I was just wondering if y'all have any recs of any supplements that would help her be at her best. Should I just stay with the Cosequin or should be I change to something else?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance:) !

-ava and augie's mum

Guest Swifthounds

My recommendations:

Opt for human quality ingredients. When looking for glucosamine, you want HCL, not the inferior sulfate. I get my glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin, MSM and Vit C (aids the others in working) from the Greyhound Gang. Better quality than anything you'll find marketed for pets by far (and better than what's sold to humans as well). The powdered form makes it more easily absorbed than a tablet or a pill and you can play around with the dose that works best. For when I travel, I pick up glucosamine HCL, chondroitin, and MSM in gel cap form from Puritan's Pride (www.Puritan.com).

I'm also firmly sold on S.O.D. and Boswellia for plain and inflammation. If given daily, I've had better results than with Rimadyl or other NSAIDs without the risk of liver issues. It's marketed in a chewable form for animals, but I get mine (separately) from Puritan's Pride as well (two caps of each per day). I give this in addition to the Greyhound Gang supplements.

I've raised quite a few greyhounds into their senior years, including my current three seniors (13.75, 13, and 11) and an IG with mobility problems (he has no femur heads and no hip sockets in the rear) without needing constant NSAIDs. I would use them if necessary, but there's not really any doubt in my mind that you get quality of life at the expense of quantity. As long as the supplements work, I will stick with them alone.

For doses of the various supplements done individually, we had a thread not too long ago.

Hands down ~ Greyhound Gang supplements.

http://www.greyhoundgang.org/store/index.php/cat_5

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I have a friend who used DGP (Dog Gone Pain) on her greyhound mix and it did wonders for her dog. The dog went from walking stiffly at her side to bouncing around like a puppy.

Guest tricolorhounds

My Vet recommends only Cosequin and Dasuquin

I've started Savannah and Bonkers on the Dasuquin... It's only been about 6 weeks so we're just passing the introduction phase. Both have arthritis from breaking their hocks and Savannah broke her her leg a 2nd time 2 years ago.

I should add that our Vet founded our adoption group and has been working with Greyhound for over 25 years.

Edited by tricolorhounds

My vet said Cosequine isn't that different from Dasaquine, just a fair bit cheaper. There's also the injectable form, which she says is about the same price and effectiveness, so it's a question of which would work better for you and your dog, a daily dose or a monthly (I think) injection once you get through the front loading period.

I'd highly recommend cosequine (or dasaguine I would imagine).

Also, regular walks, as opposed to sprinting around the yard, are supposed to help as well.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Swifthounds

For those considering joining the Cosequin/Dasequin camp because thier vet recommended it, keep in mind that vets sell it and are more likely to recommend what they sell, even where it's inferior to other products. They also get free product for themselves and staff and a discount when they purchase in bulk, so the more they sell, the more money they make.

If you're absolutely sold on combo-wombo treatments, try a liquid called Acti-Flex made for horses. Wonderful stuff and what I would use if I were more into convenience or had a kennel full of hounds.

Keep in mind that the beginnings of arthritis start creeping in long before old age. You can see decreased range of motion and locomotive changes due to joint changes in a greyhound as young as 3-5. For that reason, I supplement earlier, rather than waiting until damage is openly obvious. It's a bit more money, but better quality for the hounds.

I used Dasequin for Sugar when her arthritis got really bad, plus she had some spinal problems. It did help, but for several years before it got so bad, I used Springtime's Joint Health and Fresh Factors. I use them now for Fletcher and give them to the girls as well, even though they don't have arthritis (yet...). I also give Fletcher a Traumeel tablet twice a day, and a milk thistle capsule once a day. Considering adding S.O.D. and Boswellia. The Greyhound Gang products are great, and very reasonably priced, but my guys don't like the powder mixed with their food :rolleyes:

Thanks for the recommendations. The hounds and I totally appreciate it! Proceeds from the joint supplements are what has kept Greyhound Gang helping greyhounds.

Some thoughts from working with greyhounds for over 25 years, and specializing in the seniors:

- Not all glucosamines are created equal, but they can work in most arthritic situations

- greyhounds need 1500 mgs a day of glucosamine. Same for chondroitin and MSM. Vitamin C to bowel tolerance.

- all glucosamine is created for humans - just marketed differently for dogs. But you want to read labels, and make sure there aren't fillers and junk (sugar etc) in it.

- vets make a lot of money, as do pharmaceutical companies, on what they sell

- anti-inflammatories help the supplements do an even better job. I like Azmira Yucca Intensive and have had people be able to take their dogs (German Shepherds even) off NSAIDs, and just use the Yucca. MSM, Boswellia, Bromelain are others I've used successfully.

- every dog is an individual, and you need to try different natural remedies (homeopathic, herbal etc) to see which work for your hound and his or her condition. but from my experiences Glucosamine helps in most cases.

- joint supplements are good preventatives in addition to fixing existing problems.

- acupunture is truly fabulous (for hounds and humans!)

Greyhound Gang's Get Up & Go is pure, no fillers, natural, tested and inexpensive. One 60-day bottle of Glucosamine HCLis only $14.95. Refills are $13.50. A 4-pack (Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Vitamin C (Calcium Ascorbate) is only $71.23. It lasts 60 days for a dog over 50 lbs.

Testimonials - unsolicited

Q&A on Get Up & Go

Get Up & Go Overview

Certificates of Analysis - Testing

I have a booklet - only $2, with free shipping, When I Am Older which details the talk I give to greyhound lovers around the country. It contains lots of information about natural ways to help hounds live longer and healthier.

Always happy to answer questions.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest avadogner

Thank you for all the great recs. I think I'll check out Greyhound Gangs site. I've already had on Cosequin with MSM for a couple yrs but she needs something more now. She has refused to go on walks for over a week now. She lays down and does the floppy todler act of being dead weight. I have only been able to trick her once into coming. Now she sees a leash and hides in her bed. It just makes me cry to leave her staring out the window at Augie and I. I put my hand on the window and tell her we love her everytime. She doesn't seem to mind missing the walk but we miss her and she needs to keep those hips moving. I put a backpack with filled water bottles on it on Augie to slow him down and wear him out but she isn't interested in joining us.

Thanks again,

Alicia

ok. what you just wrote sounds like there is something more than arthritis going on. and she's only 11, which is not that old to not be doing walks. Though I would certainly put an 11 year old on the joint supplements and Yucca Intensive, which won't hurt her.

Those behaviors would lead me to believe something happened on the walk to scare her. Arthritis does not stop greyhounds from wanting to go on walks when they see a leash. A car back fire, a scary dog, someone yelling - anything could have scared her and she's thinking whatever it is will scare her again. You mentioned another dog, Augie, you have who you put a pack on with water bottles to walk. I'm assuming this is not a greyhound, and he needs a lot more exercise, and your greyhound doesn't need to go that far?

if she is still limping you, of course, do not want to take her on a walk. But if she is still limping on rimadyl that's not good, and I would definitely bring all your records to another vet for a second opinion. Is there swelling around the limb? How long has the limping been going on? Did she run hard in the yard to cause that? Was blood work done for tick diseases or valley fever?

some ideas - if she is well enough to walk - put her in the car and take her for a short ride, and then out of the car. treat her while you are walking. Make the walk a fun thing to do. I'd do it without the other dog, perhaps, or take the other dog on a short walk, and then a longer one - perhaps to a dog park so he can really run his energy off.

Just some thoughts based on your last post.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

For those considering joining the Cosequin/Dasequin camp because thier vet recommended it, keep in mind that vets sell it and are more likely to recommend what they sell, even where it's inferior to other products. They also get free product for themselves and staff and a discount when they purchase in bulk, so the more they sell, the more money they make.

Nope, my vet suggested I not waste my money on the newer version, and find original cosequine online to save money :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.