Dixie Is Limping Again

Dixie's limping stopped for a bit and started up again. Roy took her to the vet today and he was sent home with Deramaxx and Doxycycline. The vet took xrays and said the problem is in her foot. He said possibly arthritis or a bone spur. He could not be sure. He suggested trying therapaws.

I have two questions:

Why would he send Dixie home with Doxycycline?

Where can I buy Therapaws?

Thanks,

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

You need to call the vet and ask him why he'd prescribe antibiotics for a limp, and you need to consider having x-rays done.

It could be anything, but an x-ray is a simple way to rule out many possible choices.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You need to call the vet and ask him why he'd prescribe antibiotics for a limp, and you need to consider having x-rays done.

It could be anything, but an x-ray is a simple way to rule out many possible choices.

[/

The OP mentioned that rads were performed. Maybe send the rads to a radiologist for a second opinion?

Not sure about the doxy-- is he suspecting the limp could be Lyme related? Did he do a Snap 4dx test?

A Snap 4dx test was not done this time. A test was done 2 months ago and it was negative for lyme. If Roy doesn't have a chance before he heads down to Milwaukee (sister's mastectomy on Thursday), I will call the vet. He normally isn't the one taking the "kids" to the doctor, and did not know that he was given an antibiotic for Dixie. Dixie has also been vaccinated for Lyme.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

If it's on again/off again it could be neck/back pain. Those can radiate into limbs and cause "mystery limping" which is frustrating. A lot of times NSAIDS won't help (according to a dr I have seen w/Auggie recently) but a cortisone injection will. Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Roy spoke with the vet today. According to him, Doxycycline has some anti-arthritis properties. As for finding a radiologist up here, I have no idea where to even go. We are 145 miles north of Madison and 180 miles northwest of Milwaukee. There just aren't any specialty vets in our neck of the woods.

Poor Dixie has just been shaking all day today and yesterday with the winds. We only topped out at 61mph but we are on the highest spot in a vacant farm field till our windbreaks grow up so it's like living in a wind tunnel. We could have made money if we would have our windmill already. The winds are suppose to finally fade sometime tonight. Roy was actually out in the wind most of the day yesterday trying to put in fence posts so Dixie and I will have a fenced-in yard once he starts his new job.

Annette