Short Periods Of Obsessive Eating

One of my friends has an old galgo girl that is in need of help now.

Next week they are going to do a gastroscopie, not sure what the English word for it is, but they are going to look at the inside of her stomach.

For quite some time now she has been having these periods in which she will get really obsessive in her eating habits, she'll eat anything, her food, the carpet, plastic, shoelaces, anything.

At the same time she is nauseous,will yawn and swallow a lot, walk around very nervously and simply can't get any rest. She is clearly in a lot of distress.

This last period lasted for 16 hours, she has had longer and shorter ones.

Now that it is over, she is really exhausted and will sleep for days.

The vet is out of idea's and that is why they will put the tube in her throat now even though they really wanted to avoid that because of other reasons.

Anyone ever heard of this.

It isn't Cushing, that is clear.

Thanks.

Edited by galgomum

Sounds like bloat, or blockage of some sort.

Chad

Thanks but this is something that repeats itself and the behavior isn't as a result from overeating, the obsessive need to eat is part of the problem but she is monitored so she can't overeat in those periods.

A blockage is ruled out.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Bloat can be a repeating issue. If it is not full torsion then the bloat will go away, and repeat. Bloat is not always caused by overeating either. The cause of bloat has not been 100% determined as of yet. I believe there is someone here on GT that has a hound that has had multiple bloat episodes without full torsion of the stomach, cant for the life of me remember who though. All the behavior you mention is classic bloat flags, that is the only reason I mentioned it.

Bloat can be a repeating issue. If it is not full torsion then the bloat will go away, and repeat. Bloat is not always caused by overeating either. The cause of bloat has not been 100% determined as of yet. I believe there is someone here on GT that has a hound that has had multiple bloat episodes without full torsion of the stomach, cant for the life of me remember who though. All the behavior you mention is classic bloat flags, that is the only reason I mentioned it.

Thanks, i'll mention it to her.

I really didn't know this.

Might try putting her on an acid reducer such as Pepcid (generic is 10mg famotidine) to see if maybe her tummy just produces too much acid and hurts.

Wonder also if she could be having seizures and the crazy eating binges are part of a post-ictal state?

That is a puzzle for sure. Hope your friend can get to the bottom of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

" If it is not full torsion then the bloat will go away, and repeat."

I would really check on the bloat issue. I lost my soulmate to GDV/bloat and when I look back I really believe that his stomach had "jumped around" other times prior to the incident on the fatal day. Even his vet said he had a "weak" stomach and I fed him accordingly. I am a layman so my terminology isn't good but I really belive in hindsight that his stomach had been occassionally "messing up" before the fatal incident. And by all means over eating is certainly not the only or always causative. In fact I always fed Slim smaller than "normal" amounts because I knew he had a "weak" stomach.

Edited by racindog

Thought I would let you know what they found out today.

She has complex partial epilepsy.

Since she is already 11 they won't try to find the reason for it but she is put on medication to make her life easier for her.

Thanks for all your suggestions.