Neyla's Latest X-Ray

Oh no, I'm so very sorry the news wasn't better. You didn't do anything wrong and as for Dewey, you two had a wonderful time and you will always have those memories. I pray you have many more good days and when the time comes you will know. My heart goes out to you. Give your sweetie a kiss from all of us and here's a hug for you.:grouphug

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that people have gotten a diagnosis of cancer for their dogs and immediately all-but wrapped their dogs in cotton wool--no stress, no excitement--and still lost their dogs very quickly.

Cancer does what it does--and if we could control it by isolation, inactivity, or even baying at the moon, we'd have whipped that monster a long time ago.

I'm so sorry Neyla and you are going through this. You've given her a fun life--including Dewey--and you'll do what she needs you to do when it's necessary.

And then you'll fall apart--because we all do.

Thinking of you both...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You didn't screw anything up by taking your baby girl to dewey. In fact, just the opposite, you two had a good time, did stuff that beautiful memories are made of. Please don't beat yourself up.

You will have the strength and wisdom when the time comes just like you have had over the course of this battle. My thoughts and prayers are with you, I wish I could do more. :cry1

Yes, exactly. You are so finely attuned to your sweet girl that you would never do anything that wasn't in her best interests. This time is for making memories, because you know your days together are finite, even with everything that you have done---which undoubtedly made her more comfortable, and increased her longevity while dealing with a disease that is blind in the way it steals our loved ones from us.

Neyla looked so beautiful, happy and content at Dewey, and since being with you and good friends, knowing how very much she is loved, is most important to her, it was absolutely the right thing to do.

I remember holding my breath while Winnie, on 3 legs, ran circles around her sisters. It scared me, but I knew she was a tough old girl who, if she could have spoken, would have said, "Don't hold me back, Mom. We don't know how long I have left, so please let me do what brings me so much joy."

What brings Neyla joy is being with her family and friends, and that is the gift you are giving her, every day.

You are both in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Jen :grouphug

Maybe give the pamidronate a try? It always made Sutra feel great. There is the risk of kidney issues, but, it never caused Sutra any problems (he had a UTI the time that he couldn't have his infusion). The only difference is that Neyla is not really comfortable at the vet's office, and Sutra would walk in like he owned the place :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest K9Cookies

:cry1 Ugh. Jen, I don't know what to type sitting here with tears in my eyes.

You know Neyla so well. Fight for your girl, and she'll tell you when it's time. We'll be thinking about you. :grouphug

Guest BlueCrab

Ah, Jen, so sorry to read that Neyla's cancer has taken a turn. You truly have done so much for her, and so much to help us all with the information you've found. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers as this journey continues. Hugs.

Guest greytfulhounds

Awwwww, Jen, please do not beat yourself up & make yourself feel bad about any decisions you have made along this journey. All of this has been uncharted territory for you & you have been amazing with the trail you have blazed & the care you have not only given Neyla but the support you have given those of us that were on an osteo journey of our own.

Even "IF" Dewey had anything to do with this you should not have changed a thing & still should have gone to Dewey because it was a happy time for both you & Neyla. Wrapping her away in cotton, shielding her from life is not living......I have always admired your posts about your adventures with Neyla because you are both living & enjoying every second you have together. So, please be good to yourself & no more "what ifs"!! :shakefinger

When the time comes you will find the strength you need in your love for Neyla. When she is ready she will let you know & you will know in your heart what to do. We are all here to support you. Sending you & Neyla many positive thoughts, strength & prayers. :hope:bighug

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry to hear the news. Adding Gabapentin is a good move. Have you checked if Neyla is at the maximum dose for Tramadol? They usually start at a low dose and there is a lot of room to increase.

You know that people have gotten a diagnosis of cancer for their dogs and immediately all-but wrapped their dogs in cotton wool--no stress, no excitement--and still lost their dogs very quickly.

Cancer does what it does--and if we could control it by isolation, inactivity, or even baying at the moon, we'd have whipped that monster a long time ago.

I'm so sorry Neyla and you are going through this. You've given her a fun life--including Dewey--and you'll do what she needs you to do when it's necessary.

And then you'll fall apart--because we all do.

Thinking of you both...

Very well said!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Jen, you didn't do anything wrong, this is not your fault, you have no control over what is happening, you know that right? If anything you have done everything humanly possible to give Neyla the best chance, you are a GREAT mom to her and Zuri! I am so sorry you are going through this, it is so hard, and the price we all pay for loving our dogs, or loving anyone, ever, really....hugs to you and the pups, I know this is tough, but you will get through it.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I am so sorry that there has been a change in Neyla's films. Please don't beat yourself up for going to Dewey. You made a wonderful memory. I have been following this journey and am absolutely awed by your courage, humor and openess to new methods of care for your girl.

As to how you will get through this, you will, day by day. I never thought that I would get through losing Scarlett to this monster but you do because all that matters is getting them through it as well as you can.

Sending lots of prayers and healing thoughts for Neyla.

I'm so sorry your news wasn't better. It sounds like you are doing everything right. And as for finding the strength-you will. There truly were days when I thought I could not handle losing Smiley and Peanut, but much to my surprise, I did find the strength to get through. You will too. Give your baby a big, big hug for me.

I have followed Neyla's journey. I am so sorry. :cry1

As "Smiley" said, there are times when your emotions are so incredibly raw and your heart is drowning in sorrow, but you will get through this.

I lost my beloved Indy to nasal cancer in February. The weeks leading up to that last car ride to the vet were truly unbearable. So many tears. But I tried very hard to stay focused on what was in Indy's best interest - not mine. There was no cure for Indy and prolonging his life would only bring him more pain and suffering -- so I said goodbye while he could still walk, eat, do his business, etc. I didn't want to have to carry him in because he could no longer get up. I don't think I could have looked him in the eye had I waited too long - the guilt would have been overwhelming.

You are Neyla's advocate and protector, but sadly, with that role comes great responsibility and heartache. Honestly, I think of Indy every day and miss him so very much, but I know I did right by him.

Thinking of you and Neyla. I'm sure she knows how much you love her.

I'm so sorry for Neyla's prognosis. I haven't been following this as much as I should have but I can say this: if it was my dog, Dewey would have been the perfect destination on your timetable because my hounds live for those events! They mill around and greet their own kind and get numerous pets and lovies from total, but caring, strangers. They might get tired, but it's a good tired.

Maybe greyhounds live their lives just like they run a race: run fast, run hard and then it's quickly over and they get a congratulatory hug. Of course, this is simplified but they like the quick run, they are not long distance, long endurance dogs. Love her while you have her and then remind me of this fact when it's my turn to prepare to say goodbye to my loving companion.

Many hugs and good thoughts for a long pain-free time in the winners circle!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Jen, my heart breaks with you. You gave Neyla the gift of a Dewey, with her comfort being your number one concern. Everything you are doing you are doing for love of Neyla.

I, too, have walked this journey too many times. It sukks, the second guessing, the constant knowing eats at the emotions. Love her, cherish the moments, spoil her. When the time comes that you need the strength, it will be there for Neyla.

On my final ride with The Divine Ms.SugarBear, (who held court at GIG shortky before) I was looking at telephone poles on the left side of the road thinking of flooring the SUV and taking me with her when my cell phone rang and a dear friend, Amy, called and talked me through it. You are not alone, we are walking beside you giving hugs and holding you close in our hearts and prayers.

Why can't I read and/or respond to these threads without reliving and crying buckets. I guess the experience is a gift our hounds left us when we took their pain from them to carry forever in our hearts.

:bighug to you Jen.

Pat

Edited by PhillyPups

Jen, I'm so sorry the news isn't better. You have always done the best for Neyla and I know your love for her will guide you through this difficult journey.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

No advice, just :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm sorry, this news sucks, Jen. Don't feel the least bit guilty about bringing her to Dewey. If you didn't the outcome would be the same and then you'd regret not spending that special time with her. Hang in there, Hugs to you and Neyla.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars