Neyla's Latest X-Ray

Neyla was in a lot of pain starting Friday night and through the weekend and it took some effort to get her pain controlled with meds so I took her in for an x-ray yesterday afternoon to see if what I feared and suspected was true. Unfortunately it is - Neyla's tumor has started to progress. It was quite clear to me looking at the x-ray, although the vet said it's not terrible yet, as in we're not at the point where we really worry about a risk of fracture.

Given that she had a "clean" x-ray one month ago, I am afraid the progression will be quick now, although we'll have to wait and see. It seems like the tumor was being kept at bay and now suddenly it's been unleashed and I'm left wondering whether I screwed something up since the limping started after we returned from Dewey. If she had seemed stressed, tired, or unhappy I would have brought her home in a second, but she seemed to really enjoy herself aside from an isolated incident of fireworks going off on the beach. But still, I wonder if it tired her out and stressed her immune system. I know I shouldn't second guess myself, but it's what I do. :(

Anyway, we would appreciate any good thoughts you can spare. I need to make some decisions about pain management. She's doing well on the increased Tramadol and Deramaxx and this afternoon I will be picking up Gabapentin to add in so that hopefully her pain is totally controlled for the time being. I discussed again the possibility of IV pamidronate or palliative radiation with my oncologist, but my gut says it would be selfish to do either. And yet, I can't bear the thought of what that means. We're also going to redouble our efforts on the holistic front. I've increased her artemisinin some and have started adding in the second chinese herb my vet gave to me. I'm also reviewing Dr. Dressler's book and will probably choose one more supplement to add in and am going to sub in krill oil for fish oil some days because it's supposed to have some added benefits.

Anyway, my mind is whirring and mostly in work mode. If anyone has any advice, or input on the things we are considering, I would appreciate it. Or if someone can tell me how I'm going to have the strength to get through this... :weep

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find the strength Jen. You have to. Neyla is depending on you to make the right choices for her. You have and you will continue to do just that. I am sorry the two of you are going through this. You both remain in my thoughts.

Edited by gazehund

sad.gif

I'm sorry things went awry, but you can't second guess your decision to take her to Dewey...you didn't cause the flare up, nor did the trip. These things just happen, unfortunately.

Sending you lot's of strength and prayers. You've done amazing for her and you will keep doing so. Not to worry, you are doing awesome. Hang in there!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I'm so sorry you got this news. I have no experience - no advise. But sweet Neyla is in my prayers. Hugs to you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Thinking of you and your sweet girl Jen.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest PiagetsMom

I saw your x-ray results in the ABT - I've posted a couple of times there but I kind feel like I'm crashing a thread of very good friends there, so this thread gives me an opportunity to say I'm really sorry that the news isn't better for Neyla. I know you've been working hard and doing all that you know how to make Neyla as comfortable and happy as possible. You've been very proactive in your research and approach to her treatment, but it's normal to second guess yourself. As long as you put Neyla's needs first, you'll be able to do what you have to do. Sending wishes for continued wisdom and strength. :grouphug

:grouphug

What Nancy said, and I am so sorry you are having to go through this. You are a great mom and have done an amazing job dealing with Neyla's osteo so far.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I agree with Nancy, you will get through it, sometimes minute by minute, but the most important thing right now is that you have her and you have done everything for her out of love and need to continue doing so. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I saw your x-ray results in the ABT - I've posted a couple of times there but I kind feel like I'm crashing a thread of very good friends there, so this thread gives me an opportunity to say I'm really sorry that the news isn't better for Neyla. I know you've been working hard and doing all that you know how to make Neyla as comfortable and happy as possible. You've been very proactive in your research and approach to her treatment, but it's normal to second guess yourself. As long as you put Neyla's needs first, you'll be able to do what you have to do. Sending wishes for continued wisdom and strength. :grouphug

Hijack alert:

Neither you, nor anyone else who wants to post in the ABT thread, is crashing. It is a true bar - all are welcome. Some of us have become very good friends over the years, but only because we all were bar "crashers" at one point. :)

/hijack over

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Jen, you didn't screw anything up. Do not beat yourself up over a thing. This is just a horrible, horrible disease. Thinking of you and Neyla, and sending good thoughts :grouphug :grouphug :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am sorry that the news wasn't better. You have done an amazing job in working with and against Neyla's cancer. If only we could all do as well as you have! As for "causing" the tumor to grow, while a natural thought process due to the timiing of her pain increase, you did NOT cause the tumor to grow. I do understand exactly how you feel, though. I went through that many times when my son was battling his cancerous tumor. That being said, you and Neyla are tucked deep in my heart and I hope that you are able to continue to have wonderful times with your sweetie.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sad and sorry for your bad news.

Cancer sucks, and you cannot blame yourself for anything. You have been doing a super job for Neyla.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I know you were worried about her at the picnic...

Hang in there, you're doing really well...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Hijack alert:

Neither you, nor anyone else who wants to post in the ABT thread, is crashing. It is a true bar - all are welcome. Some of us have become very good friends over the years, but only because we all were bar "crashers" at one point. :)

/hijack over

:nod Exactly what I was going to say.

Thank you everyone for your support, it means so much. I seriously don't know how I would get through this without my GT family.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest vahoundlover

You didn't screw anything up by taking your baby girl to dewey. In fact, just the opposite, you two had a good time, did stuff that beautiful memories are made of. Please don't beat yourself up.

You will have the strength and wisdom when the time comes just like you have had over the course of this battle. My thoughts and prayers are with you, I wish I could do more. :cry1

Edited by vahoundlover

Jen, I'm so sorry the news wasn't better. You will be strong for Neyla, just as you have been, even if you go on "auto pilot" for a time. I am quite sure that later, much later, you will be thankful for the trip you girls took this year to Dewey. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

jen - you have not only been sensational for neyla - you have been a great source of information/support/comfort to all of us that have had pups with os dx in the past 6 months!! over july 4th weekend we took win & rivie on a little trip -- we had the BEST time - at the time i wondered if it was ok - did it hurt her or make the cancer go faster -- now that she has been gone for 2 months i can honestly say that i would not have traded the GREAT time we all had that day for one extra day of her laying around the house!! do not second guess yourself on anything - you have been there for not only neyla, but the rest of us, too - and i say a huge THANK YOU from all of the warriors.

my thoughts and prayers are with you as you enter this new phase - not going to lie - it sucks - but remember that we are all here for you just as you have been here for us -- just keep loving her and make sure you take plenty of pictures -- i can't look at all the pics i took of rivie yet, but it does comfort me to know they are there

hugs

Sorry about the bad news. :(

Been there, done that, it sucks, I know.