Tramadol And Imodium-New Combo

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

Can Tramadol and Imodium be taken together. Baby Lola has relieved herself and keeps on relieving herself. She is feeling better but now want to get the tummy well too. Thanks!

I would not give the tramadol and immodium together as they're both opiods. Better would be some pepto bismol (gelcaps work best).

It would be better not to feed at all for 24 hours. If you absolutely have to, then just a small amount of her normal food and/or white rice.

Hope she is better asap!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola

Thank you so much. I don't have any pepto gelcaps in the house. Maybe I can get a chewable Pepto down her. I am so tired and trying to prevent a flareup on myself (RA) so I can't get to the store tonight. Thanks again!!!

Hey, Lene, if I have only the chewables, I crush them up to powder and mix with peanutbutter or flavored yogurt or whatever's handy (a little molasses) -- pup will usually just lap the stuff up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I did not know that immodium is considered an opiod! No wonder I get so tired if I need to take one (I also take tramadol.)

Lene, I am sorry Lola is feeling poorly. I like fast the kennel dogs for 24 hours if they are having tummy troubles, then try plain white rice, and if that stays down OK you can gradually add her normal food. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

(A quick, easy way to make rice is in the microwave, just 1 part to 2 parts water and nuke for 15 minutes or so.)

Guest argolola

Thank you both so much! I put the pill on a spoon under a bit of low fat peanut butter. She gobbles it up so fast (wild eyed) she never even knew it was there. She hasn't barked to go out during the middle of the night, so that's a plus. I appreciate you both.

Consider giving a Pepcid or Prilosec (sp). Teyha is on high doses of Tramadol and some Rimadyl and get the stomach med every day.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I dont believe Immodium is an opiod drug. this is sold over the counter.

Lomotil IS an opiod class drug.

if I had to make the choice for my dogs i probaly would give the two.

deb

I dont believe Immodium is an opiod drug. this is sold over the counter.

Active ingredient is Loperamide, which is an opioid. It's sold over the counter because it doesn't do nice trips as some opioids do. It can have a sedating effect, however (a member of this board had a very scary time with a dog who accidentally got too much of it). So I really would not recommend giving it with another opioid such as Tramadol.

Yes it is officially an opoid antagonist which doesn't allow for the nastiness of an opiod. I am not a vet and of course the proper amounts would have to be monitored so if your in doubt always defer to your vets opinion.I'm a nurse and we give out immodium like candy where I work so I guess I have a comfort level around it.

I supposed lots of factors come into play, sucha health and age of the dog. So always wise to check it out. With the vet.

Deb

One of the most common side effects of tramadol in dogs is constipation. While the two (tramadol and immodium) are not specifically contraindicated, they both are metabolized in the liver and they both cause constipation.

Immodium does not cross the blood brain barrier, (so no "high" feeling when you take them) but it binds to the same receptors in the intestines that other opiates do.

Edited by Anne

Glad Lola is feeling better! Hope the pepto is doing the trick; I give Max pepcid (generic) regularly. He had a bought of vomiting earlier this year (never did figure out why) but it certainly helped and seems to continue to help with his appetite.

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves