Ava's Just Not Herself

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

Last winter, Ava started limping and showing signs of pain in her low back/hips. We did a sedation with our vet to get the perfect films and was diagnosed with arthritis and congenital flatten femur heads (we adopted her 18 months when she washed out of track training). We also had a vet ortho confirm the diagnosis. She was placed on rimadyl and responded very well. When spring came she improved so much the vet discontinued the Rimadyl. Since her 10 th bday in March, she has been becoming less interested in food and I've had to start getting creative to feed her. When Augie came home 3 wks ago, her appetite initally improved. We started taking walks with Augie to get his destructive energy under control. About 5 days in, Ava started refusing to go on walks. I cried and felt terrible for my girl feeling bad enough to miss out on things she used to love. She visitied the vet and was pronounced healthy for a 10yr greyhound with arthritis. We refilled our Rimadyl script which should arrive tomorrow from online pet pharmacy. We boarded her and Augie at McGregor this past weekend. We had a trip with my in laws to Orange Beach which was very beautiful. I left detailed info and instructions with the sweet girls at the rescue center for her meds and food issues. When we picked them up last night, we were told Ava went on a hunger strike and refused to eat all weekend. They also reported she guzzled a bunch of water then threw it up and was acting really pitiful. I was so upset and worried with this news. I am terrified of losing my sweet girl. We brought her home and I introduced a small amount of water and she did fine and then she ate a few plain biscuits. A severe thunderstorm came though (knocking down a huge tree in our yard) so both Augie and Ava were upset though the night. I held off introducing food till this morning. I put together her special kibble and a little wet food and offered it to her. She does this picky thing where she pushes the bowl away with her nose. Apparently at the track she did this so much she scabbed her nose. This mornings refusal made her nose start bleeding everywhere sending me in a tizzy. I called the vet and was directed to make a mix of ground sirloin, broth, rice, yogurt and a small amount of kibble. I gave her a 1/4 size portion and she ate it all and kept it down. She hasn't vomited or had the big D but she just doesn't seem herself. The vet suggested giving her a day or two of severe thunderstorm free rest and keep a close eye on her intake and output. Her mucous membranes are moist, turgur is good and heart rate and resp. rate and within normal limits. (I'm a Ex ER and NICU nurse). She doesn't seem like she's in mortal danger but she's just not herself. I'm giving her until the morning and if she doesn't perk up, we are going back to the vet again. My vet(thank God he's a family friend and humors me) has tried reassuring me that this is part of her getting old but she is my baby and I can't stand seeing her so glum. I've been waiting on a kidney transplant for 3 yrs and know how it feels to feel bad all the time. Is there any tips or reassurance anyone can offer me? I've made her promise she won't leave me until she's atleast 13 but I breaks my heart to see my baby so pitiful.

Ava's worried mum

When did she come home? If she was stressed at the kennel, it could take her 2-3 days to recover from that. I would continue the small, frequent meals for a few days and see how she does.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest avadogner

Hi Batmom,

Ava and Augie just came home last night. I know she needs a couple days to adjust back to home but I guess I'm just bugging out because she did a 4 day food strike at the kennel and she can't afford to loose anymore weight. She snubbed the gourmet ground beef mix at dinner but easily took treats. I guess I shouldn't fret since there's still room for treats. My DH just read me the riot act over my worrying over Ava because he is always trying to get me to eat. Kidney failure and chronic pain from the 10 lb mass of cystic tumors that is now what's left of my 1 kidney wrecks my appetite. He hit me with the pot calling the kettle black talk. I do try to eat but when your so sick, it becomes nauseating to even look at food. I'll try to relax for my BPs sake and give her a couple days. I'll keep y'all posted.

-ava and augie's mum

I would wait on starting the Rimadyl until she's getting some good meals in her tummy as it really needs to be taken with food.

Fingers crossed she just needs some rest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Since she's been refusing food, her stomach's in the same state yours sometimes is, where you just don't want food. I don't think the vet will be able to help with that.

In fact, right now a visit to the vet is just one more event that isn't part of her regular schedule--just one more thing she isn't going to welcome.

Yes, there could be something wrong. But is a vet visit going to fix it since you've said her condition actually is good? Is there anything a vet's going to see without intrusive scans or studies? And if there isn't anything more "wrong" than her missing you, the stress of a vet visit may put her that much further away from getting back to normal.

Take care of her at home. You'll know if her condition actually warrants the stress and disruption of a vet visit. Meantime, let her settle down, rebuild her appetite, etc.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have to agree, it may take her a couple of days to unwind from being in the kennel and be free of thunderstorms. One thing you can try to increase her appetite is to add about a tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast to her food. It tastes like cheese and can stimulate the appetite because it has vitamin B-12 in it. You can purchase it at a Whole Foods grocery or get it on line. It worked wonders on my Emmy when she quit eating.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I don't know if this will help or mean anything, but when my first girl got a bit older, probably around 9 or 10 she not only became a very picky eater but she just never wanted to eat 'breakfast'. She just wasn't interested in food in the mornings any longer. She would usually eat around lunchtime and then again at her dinner time. Also, I split her dinner into portions...gave her about 3/4 of her regular dinner at dinner time and then gave her the rest of her dinner right before bed. She seemed to do better on a full stomach at night.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

Ava is a little more frisky tonight. She snubbed dinner but was all about out late evening treat time. We break up treats and throw them around them for Augie and Ava does tricks for them. She is acting more herself so we are just going to play it by ear. Another batch of thunderstorms are coming tomorrow so I imagine it's probably irritating her arthritis. I will hold on to the Rimadyl until she can get a decent meal in her. Thanks for the reassurance for my sweet girl. I worry so much about her now that her age is showing. She has given me so much and I just want the best for her. Augie has been really sweet to her today and my "space aggressive girl" shared her bed with him and seemed grateful for the support. It was so sweet. I'll have to keep a camera on hand for the next time it happens.

-ava and augie's mum

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to happily report that Ava ate a whole bowl of the ground beef, rice, yogurt and salmon kibble mix yesterday. It took us all day in 3 small meals to do it be she ate it all. We had Tornado warnings all yesterday so I never expected her to eat half as well as she did. Today at lunch she ate half her bowl of the same mix! I'm so happy she has given up the hunger strike. I can see everyone of her ribs and vertebrae. I am going to pick up some ensure plus today and see if she would drink a little of it to boost her calories. Thanks for the support everyone!

-ava and augie's mum