Aleeya Stung By Bee In Paw!

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, given the kids' proclivity toward accidents.

About 30 min ago:

we were walking. Aleeya stops, raises her "bad" back leg.

I wonder "It's not winter, there's no gravel in your sensitive footsies, what's up?"

I look down, and there's a thing on the side of her paw-- I thought maybe a burr-- but no, it's a BEE!

I reach down and sort of pinch/flick the bee off. Then I figure it left behind a stinger, so I look for that (not easy on a light red brindle) and I flick that out too. I think I got all of it.

She is NOT happy-- either not walking on the leg or limping on it/no pressure on the paw.

We do manage to walk home-- she did stop to poop, which I guess is good.

I call the vet-- they said give her 75mg Benadryl up to 3x a day (she weighs around 69lbs)

I clean the paw off with some antiseptic/no sting stuff, and I don't see anything additional.

I just gave her the 3 pink pills in some soft food, and she's lying on her favorite carpet, waiting for dinner.

today was also the day she gets her once-every-3-days-quarter tab of prednisone-- I think that might help with any swelling too?

What am I looking for? I don't think I've ever been stung by a bee, but I know there can be swellilng, itching. In the paw, or in the face, or what? How long do I monitor her?

sigh. Any help/advice/stories appreciated!

Soren

Guest Energy11

OUCH!

Sorry to hear this. YOU are on the perfect track! The Benedryl and Pred will help GREATLY. I WOULD HAVE suggested a NSAID like Deramaxx, BUT, NOT with the pred, of course. If you have some Tramadol, it couldn't hurt to give it to help the pain. You can use a credit card to gently scrap across the pad, which might help remove a stinger if it is there (*old EMT skill :-) ... And, I'd soak her foot in warm water and Epsom Salts, which can really help reducd swelling, and pain, and maybe get rid of a potential stinger.

I would also use some antibacterial ointment and a toddler sock on the foot, and a bootie, if you have it. I did all of the above for Goldie, and she did just fine.

Good luck and lots of hugs to the houndie!

Guest sorenkkg

Ok-- good advice-- I've got Epsom salts (who doesn't, right?) and I'll keep watching her-- I don't think it's too swollen right now, and she's not licking at it, which is a miracle with her :rolleyes:

I do have deramaxx actually, but since she's on the Pred, and not really freaking out in pain, I think I'll reserve that-- I am out of Tramadol, but if she still doesn't want to walk on it tomorrow, I'll call the vet.

I always thought one of them woulld eat a bee, didn't think I'd ever be scraping one off of them.... The joys of greyhound ownership never cease ;)

Guest Energy11

We had this happen a month ago! Benedryl ice for swelling and just watch her breathing. Extra cookies help too ;)

EXCELLENT point, regarding watching the breathing!

You ALWAYS need to be concerned if there is facial swelling, as well, and if the breathing becomes labored, or the animal's gums turn dusky or pale. This is A TRUE medical emergency. I actually had this happen with my Oakly. He got stung with Florida fire ants, and his face looked like a Great Dane. I worked for my vet at the time, which was a mile away, and was able to administer both a steriod and Benedryl injection.

Edited by Energy11

Unless she's allergic to bees, it's not that big a deal. The Benadryl needn't be given beyond the first dose if nothing happens. If she was going to react, it would have been within 15-30 minutes. How do I know?? George stepped on a bee hive when I first got him. He was stung 3-5 times. I called my vet immediately (after shoving Benedryl in him!), and that's what she said.

He didn't even get welts, so I stopped worrying!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, I think you'd already have seen trouble if it was coming.

The real risk is when the dogs snap at bees. Swelling at the site is dangerous if the site of the sting was the mouth or tongue. Foot? Shouldn't be a big deal, especially after this many minutes.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest sorenkkg

That's the stuff I was wondering about-- paw vs face, how long to watch for, etc.

I did give the 75mg benadryl as soon as I could, and frankly, she didn't seem to need anything else-- ice, soaking, whatnot. Such a brave girl :blush

I did only do that one dose of Benadryl, and I wasn't sure if it's supposed to make them sleepy? who can tell with a greyhound anyway :P

She was fine the rest of the night, and totally a-ok today, so as far as a first-aid situation goes, it was a good learning experience and not overly traumatic for anyone.

Thanks for all your help and comments! :colgate

Soren