Skinned Pad

Guest Avisher224

Guest Avisher224

My greyhound boy Orion was doing some crazy playing in the yard on Friday and when he came back in I noticed he was leaving little blood spots all over the kitchen floor. I checked his feet and he seems to have skinned two of his pads on one of his back feet. They aren't deep, it almost looks like a small crack on one pad (like if you have really dry skin) and like the top layer of skin got taken off on the other. I cleaned the dirt off the cuts and applied pressure until the bleeding stopped and he seemed fine. Well, then yesterday morning, he decided to go sprinting in the yard again and when he came back in, he was bleeding again- yep, he broke the injury back open. So, I went to Petsmart to try and get something to cover it with (someone told me they carried a sock-like bandage there). Well, I couldn't find it, so the salesperson suggested a liquid bandage, which I bought, along with some antiseptic wash. So, I treated him with both when I got home and he was fine all afternoon- following me around in and outside as usual, however when he got up to go out before bed, I noticed he was limping. The injury doesn't look any worse- I can tell it's sore because he acts a little freaky if I press on the area. He definitely limps much more when he goes in the yard than around the house, so I'm not sure if he's just being overly dramatic about it (especially since it happened in the yard) or if I should be concerned. I was thinking if he's still limping tomorrow I might try and take him to the vet- any opinions or thoughts on this?

Keep them clean, you can use vet wrap to wrap them up until they heal and then a little bag balm to soften them up if they're dried out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest bigorangedog

Keep them clean, you can use vet wrap to wrap them up until they heal and then a little bag balm to soften them up if they're dried out.

Yep, although as you're washing it out, you should try to look around in there and make sure there's not a splinter or other object stuck in the wound. Some of them are just babies about their feet though.

Guest Houndstown

He's probably also limping more outside because the ground is harder and there are rocks, acorns and such that hurt more to walk on with an injured foot. Keep it clean and keep the ointment on it like everyone said and you should be fine.

Also, our one grey likes to bite at her foot injuries. She keeps them from healing by ripping off the scabs, etc. Just an FYI to check your guy's feet to make sure the pad is growing back okay.