Chancy Dancer

Guest AmazinGreyz

Guest AmazinGreyz

I'll never forget walking into the SPCA looking for a dog. As I walked through the rows of kennel cages, the noise was amazing... until I came to a kennel on the right with a very quiet fellow looking out with bewilderment. That was my first glimpse of Chancy Dancer, the whippet with whom I was honored to share a life. He had been dropped off by his first family because they were going to have a baby. He was seven at the time. We took a walk together, and I brought him home right then and there. I helped him to the bridge since old age, that incurable ailment had relentlessly worn him out.

ChancyD was a dignified, quiet boy. He was never one for playing rough, but he was a cuddler beyond compare. Every night he slept in my bed, curled next to my left side in my arm. We walked everyday through our neighborhood. ChancyD invited comments from everyone for his good manners and they way he'd prance down the street. Even when I was slowed by each knee replacement, he was my "therapy".. he could prance at a snails pace.

Chancy was famous for his duck. The duck and ChancyD were rarely parted. He never barked at company. Instead, each person was greeted at the door by a Chancy drive-by, duck in mouth. Each guest or workman was expected to say "nice duck". Then Chancy could go back to his sofa. Earlier this year, my sister and her small puppy stayed a few weeks. Puppy had the audacity to grab the duck. ChancyD never snarked or fussed. He waited until puppy's attention was diverted, jumped off his sofa and most firmly retook possession of his duck. Later that evening, ChancyD pranced up and down the hallway in front of the bedroom in which puppy was staying, duck in mouth, as if to assset his proprietary rights.

I adopted Ivan, my wonderful greyhound in January. Chancy immediately took charge in his own way. I give him all the credit for teaching Ivan his good leash manners. ChanceyD pranced on my left while Ivan walks on my left. At mealtime, ChancyD always inspected Ivan's dinner until he was directed to mind his own business and eat his own dinner. Ivan always waited patiently for his dinner while ChancyD gave his paws up for what was being served.

Most of all, my boy saw that my heart was opened up to the grace and beauty of a sighthound. I have been blessed more than I can find ways to describe. I know it was selfish to try to ignore the signs he was ready to go, but he was able to let me know it was time. My boy's last gift to me was to lick my hand as we waited for the doctor. Even counting that time, I still have fingers left over from counting al the time over the years he licked. In my heart, I know it was his way of saying it was ok to say goodbye for now.

He's prancing now in those fields over the bridge.

My ChancyD

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed ChancyD.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

The dog of a lifetime. Hugs to you, missing your perfect boy.

Godspeed, ChancyD.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry for the loss of Chancy. I, too, adopted a whippet in his later years (he was 11) and he will be 14 in January. He also prances along on our walks. It is a perfect description! They are such special souls and I am so sorry that he had to leave.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Sounds like he was an awesome boy...there's never enough time is there? ChancyD....rest well buddy.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)