Jump to content

Dogs With Immune-Mediated Polyarthritis: Do You Vaccinate?


Guest selori
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a 2 year old greyhound with idiopathic immune-mediated polyarthritis. He has now been completely meds free for a little over a month, and we are nervously waiting and watching for any kind of relapse. He is now due for all vaccinations, but I am torn about what to do. Obviously, I feel the rabies is very important (possibly illegal not to vaccinate for this?), but as we were told that any vaccine might trigger the disease again, we don't really know what to do. I guess I feel willing to take the risk of not vaccinating, if it reduces the risk of this debilitating disease coming back and causing our baby so much pain and suffering again.

 

We will discuss all of this with the specialist next week, when we go for our dogs regular blood work, but I was hoping that anyone who has a dog with IMPA might be able to offer advice.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Stacy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest LittleGreys

My girl has IMPA, actually erosive polyarthritis of Greyhounds, and NO, we do not vaccinate her for anything, even rabies. Rabies is required by law, but we still do not vaccinate her for it. My vet will write a letter stating she should not be vaccinated if ever need be. My current foster dog also has an immune mediated disease, and she will not receive any more vaccinations, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, not a thing. Beau has auto imunne deficiencies. He doesn't get anything, including rabies.

 

 

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, RobinM and Little Greys. It helps to know that others have come to the same conclusion that I think I am coming to: It's not worth the risk. I will discuss with the doctor next week, and hopefully she can help us with the decision.

 

Stacy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...