Is He Grieving?

Guest AmazinGreyz

Guest AmazinGreyz

On Friday evening, I had to help my Whippet to the bridge. My Ivan seems to have stopped eating. He seems to be his regular happy, go lucky self, but he skipped food yesterday altogether, and this morning show no interest in his breakfast. I put some peanut butter on his kibble this morning, but he looked at it and turned away to go lay down. I believe this is the first time he's been an only dog, and I'm wondering if he's missing his little big brother. Part of me says he's going to come around and be a hungry bunny, but the raw part of me is getting awfully worried. I keep telling myself he's a healthy boy and a couple of missed meals won't hurt, but still....

Guest fandogs

I think you are correct on both counts.

He will come around and a few missed meals aren't things to worry about (Although it's hard) We "mama's always worry.. it's what we do best.

BUT I would bet my bottom dollar that you Whippet is grieving the loss of his companion and friend. If you fed them together (at the same time) each one triggered the need to EAT, in the other.. now nothing is triggering him.

If he has never been an only, and you have room and time, I would think a new buddy would work wonders. It has in my home on three occasions.

Good luck,

Give the little guy a few extra hugs.

Maxine

Guest AmazinGreyz

Thank you. You may be right. I found a wonderful adoption group in January and have been so blessed that I've discovered the joy of a greyhound. My whippet was getting on in years, and Ivan, a silly 3 year old grey really brought some energy to him. I always fed them together. ChancyD, the whippet, always checked out Ivan's dish till I shooed him away. Ivan always waited very patiently until the inspection was over, then would eat. Perhaps he's missing his routine?

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry for the loss of ChancyD. :bighug

My Runner and SugarBear were very bonded. When I lost Runner very suddenly, Sugs went into deep depression, including not eating, I almost lost her. When I brought Stepper home, within one hour she ate. I was concerned about the missed meals as she was 12.

I would try something stinky like tunafish or salmon and see if he eats.

:bighug to you :bighug

You've described Phene after Loca passed away :(. I solved the problem by adopting Treasure.

I'm sorry for your loss flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry your whippet had to leave you.

Hopefully Ivan will begin to recover in a few more days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry to hear that Ivan is grieving so......Wishing some happiness his way.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug When my Champ went to the bridge Sophie would not eat, she would not play.... She would only go outside when we made her. She stayed in the back bedroom and slept on Champs bed. Then we got a foster Aladdin(he became a foster failure) and she came out of it.... I am not telling you to get another one but that was the only way Sophie came out of it. She became her happy self again.... But since he is his happy self you maybe right it might be he was used to the other one inspecting the food. Good Luck and again I am very Sorry.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I think he is grieving the loss of his little brother. And the loss of everything else associated with him - the little rituals and sharing, going outside together, laying together - it's all different now. He's probably not gotten to the stage of being "lonely," but that will be next. You may see him develop some separation anxiety, or other bad habits he's never had before.

Try and make sure he's staying hydrated. Some juice or pedialyte in his water will encourage him to drink. Maybe take him for a car ride or something else he enjoys and go to McDonald's for a cheesburger together. That might spark his appetite a bit.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How is he today??

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest greytbookert

I hope Ivan is doing better today.

When we've had losses in our house, some would grieve and others wouldn't. The ones that did grieve, I would give them something that smelled like the one that passed. When Mama died and then Annie, I let Sahra wear their collars for a while and that seemed to help a bit. The grieving ones always seemed to come around fully within a week or so. However, they wouldn't miss more than a couple of meals. If it is just a couple of meals, I wouldn't worry too much unless it goes on for more than a couple of days. We've always had multiple hounds though. Maybe Ivan would benefit from a play date or just a car ride for now.

hugs to Ivan and you!

Guest AmazinGreyz

Just a quick update. Thank you for all your suggestions. Ivan ate most of his dinner last evening after I added a can of tuna to it (thanks Miss Pat). He has eaten about half his breakfast and half his dinner this evening.

I've noticed he's very interested in sniffing the places where ChancyD normally relieved himself. He's still quite clingy (I don't know if I can explain the difference between clingy and the normal velcro.. I hope you know what I mean).

I'm going to try the idea of giving him something of ChancyD's.. right away I can think of ChancyD's precious duck (it's always been off limits) and hit crate mat. Thank you Greybookert.

Thank you all so much for the support. I was a bit afraid I was projecting a bit of the upset I'm feeling onto my Ivan.

Just a quick update. Thank you for all your suggestions. Ivan ate most of his dinner last evening after I added a can of tuna to it (thanks Miss Pat). He has eaten about half his breakfast and half his dinner this evening.

I've noticed he's very interested in sniffing the places where ChancyD normally relieved himself. He's still quite clingy (I don't know if I can explain the difference between clingy and the normal velcro.. I hope you know what I mean).

I'm going to try the idea of giving him something of ChancyD's.. right away I can think of ChancyD's precious duck (it's always been off limits) and hit crate mat. Thank you Greybookert.

Thank you all so much for the support. I was a bit afraid I was projecting a bit of the upset I'm feeling onto my Ivan.

I'm glad to hear that he is beginning to eat... How heartbreaking...their level and depth of love is incredible.

Guest Profgumby

Sometimes it is us projecting upon them...sometimes not. When we had to put Simone down, I am sure Missy knew something was not right with Simone. But we took Simone on a car ride (to the vet) and never brought her home. I know Missy missed Simone and in some doggie way knew she was never coming back and she definitely knew we were very sad. Missy ate pretty much normally but for weeks we could see her looking for Simone as she moved through the house in her day to day routine. And I know she was lonely when crated as the two shared the same crate from the day Simone arrived.

I think if a dog sees another dog die it can be worse than one just going away. But then every dog is different.

Ivan is picking up your being upset and is probably upset as well. But I am certain he will find a way to go on as you will. Another playmate may be the cure, it may not. One thing is for sure if you add another dog, the dynamic will not be the same. Ivan (and new friend) will find a level of normal. It is important to not project onto them as they will find their way.

Guest AmazinGreyz

Finally today, Ivan actually finished breakfast and dinner. I have to keep an eye on him though. While I was working, he started a new behavior..... pulling pillows off the sofa and playing. I also found stuff-squeakers that had been pulled out of the stuffy. I was able to save the pillows (thank goodness I pace when I'm on the phone), and the stuffy has now lost its voice. But, my boy is now eating like he should.

Good news that he's eating. Also good news that he's playing, he's obviously feeling better. With him by himself you may have to play with him more but heck, that's fun!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Wonderful news....

i have been in the two dog syndrome for quite some time, it is really the only thing that i found that helps with the greiving. when velcro died i tried really hard to keep willie wonka as a solo dog(9 months). i just couldn't keep that dog stareing at the floor any more and he started aging really fast. he picked out emily(at an adoption day at the track). she brought lots of spunk back to willie who was 11 at the time.when willie died at 14 i did not notice any greiving, emily and our new pup felix were a duo. when emily suddenly died(osteo- 6 weeks from diagnoisi to intense pain) last winter felix the surviving pup started to pee and was sooooo clingy(he was hand raised by the resuce group and clingy anyway) i started to foster. he chose annie and the two are 2 peas in a pod.

how about fostering until you decide exactly what you need to do? if it's the right combo it won't feel like 2 dogs are present ;)

glad he is eating again, sorry for your loss- it's always difficult.

I am so so sorry for the loss of your whippet :( I am sure your grey is feeling the loss,,, and am glad he is feeling better,,,, some feel animals don't grieve,,, IMHO any change in the pack order is a loss to the remaining dogs,, Is this grieving? could be,, but as others have stated your grey is also picking up on your saddness,, again I am so sorry about your old friend

Guest Shermanator

You've described Phene after Loca passed away :(. I solved the problem by adopting Treasure.

I'm sorry for your loss flowers_red.gif

First, I am really sorry about your loss.

Travel stopped eating after Patton had passed, and they had only been together 3 weeks. (Our Sherman had passed away from bone cancer, and Travel was adopted for us and as a companion for Patton. Little did we know that Patton was also battling bone cancer, and we lost him quickly.)

When Sherman died, and Patton was left alone, he did mope around the house for about a week, and not eat for several days. With lots of attention and hugs, he started to come around. But, when we adopted Travel, he quickly turned around, and feel in love with her. However, at the time he was battling cancer, which we did not know.

We made the decision to adopt another grey, and it took 2 weeks for Echo to join our family. Travel was spooky to begin with, but when Patton died, she further retreated into herself. She stopped eating, and I had to force feed her Pedialite with a syringe. It Echo hadn't come home as quickly as she did, we would have needed to hospitalize her for IV fluids.

However, she was a super spook, so she was a mess to begin with. Losing Patton drove her over the edge. Poor little thing.

BTW- Travel is now a goofy, crazy, happy little girl.

My heart is aching for you both.

We too became a close family unit and found it very tough when we lost our Lima suddenly in August. She was the outgoing, goofy big sister that started all games, assaulted all toys was always willing to entertain or to be entertained by other hounds, go anywhere, anytime and was always gretyful to be there. She was such an amazing gift to live with for more than 5 years that when she left us, Leah and I were devastated. Leah is my "delicate flower" - timid, shy, less playful and slow to accept changes. For days she moped and withdrew to corners and closets. She tolerated the routine walks but was clearly miserable most of the time, and it broke my heart to watch her suffering so I started bringing in foster hounds as soon as I could. We've now had 3 dogs in here and Leah has not attached to any of them like she did with Lima, but she clearly enjoys the company and that makes me so happy. She has adjusted to the occasional solitude and will toss stuffies in the evenings and sometimes even run zoomies in the house like she and Lima used to do. We also visit other hound houses for play dates just to keep her engaged and active - well for me too actually :)

The big hole in your heart will probably mend in time, but if you focus on keeping your remaining dog active and entertained you may find that you will both be smiling again soon :rolleyes:

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart