New Greyhound Servants:p

Guest Miller

My wife and I have had Jeff our very loving Greyhound for almost a week. He has been a pretty good boy and we love him and he seems very comfy in his new home. We adopted him from GreyHound Friends in Hopkinton MA. He now lives his happy life in Rhode Island.

Jeff gets a little anxious when we are not home. We are trying to work with him to get him used to it but today he destroyed one of the blinds in the living room. Other then that this week he has not damaged anything.

P1050157.jpg

Can you crate him? Many greyhounds like their crates, it's their own private apartment. Many nap inside of their crates with the door open. Have you considered leaving a muzzle on him while you are out. They are use to muzzles and they know they should be good when they have the muzzle on.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Welcome from Ontario. There's lots of threads on GT about alone training if you want more info.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks everybody.

Our apartment is small so I crate would be a hard fit, but we could make it work if we had to. We might try a muzzle if the problem consists.

Guest avadogner

Welcome to Greytalk from Birmingham, Alabama. :yay :yay :yay I am also dealing with a new dog who has SA (sep. anxiety). I muzzle him when gone but try to make nice by putting a little peanut butter inside the muzzle. He licks the dollup off prettty quick but takes a little of the indignity of being muzzled off him. He ate several coffee table books and our coffee table's corners. We have since sprayed all wood surfaces down with chew repellant (we use the Nature's Miracle Brand since it's non citrus based and easy on wood). I also stuff a couple XL Kongs with broken up training treats and then fill the end with PB and freeze it. It takes him a while longer to get through the PB and get to the treats. It's helped a lot. It takes the hounds a couple months to realize you will come back. Hang in there. I also try to walk Augie before I know we are going out so he's tired and a little less destructive.

-ava and augie's mum