Her Neck Is Raw!

I went to the grocery store for 45 minutes.. 45 minutes!! and I come back to this:

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

I was with Sage all day. We had a Meet & Greet, we went shopping, came with me to run errands, we took walks, she snoozed... her neck was not like this before I left for the grocery store. She ate dinner- the EXACT same thing she ate last night where there was no reaction. So what gives? She gives herself hot spots on occasion, and I know she can't reach this area with her mouth. I'm sure it's an allergy of some sort and she scratched it to death, plain and simple. I'm just confused as to why. She didn't appear itchy in any way all day. I leave, and come back to this. I've been home for 30 minutes now and she hasn't touched it. So.. what- it only itched while Mommy was gone? :rolleyes:

I'm just like wth??

Should I leave it since it magically doesn't bother her anymore, give her benadryl, clean it up....? It's pretty red and a bit swollen.

Grrrrrrrr. :dunno

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest greytloves

Sure does look as if she scratched herself with her hind foot there. Did she eat or get sprayed with something unusual for the meet n greet? Maybe was just bored?

the location of those marks really looks like the tag collar caught on something and had to work it loose. Is the collar a breakaway? In the picture there are no red marks other than places the collar could rub, that's what makes me think it was caught. Any red marks elsewhere?

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My boy has seasonal allergies and he does that to himself too. He scratches hiis neck with his back foot. He takes 2 4mg tablets of chlortrimeton 2-3 times a day and it gives him great itchy relief. I hate the cold but, I'm looking forward to the winter--fall is such a tough time for allergies.

A sharp edge on the collar maybe? My other thought would be a bug bite of some kind that she scratched.

I'd clean it with mild soap and warm water, and put some neosporin on it. Then watch her for scratching at it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Youch!! Poor baby... what did you do to her?? :lol

I wrang her little neck for the time she ate my bonsai. I'm still bitter over that! :lol:P

Her tag collar is not new, and it IS a breakaway... so much of one in fact, that it sometimes falls apart on its own. I'm leaning toward scratching, not a tag collar issue. JMHO.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

She didn't happen to wear a snazzy Martingale with metallic threads in it to the meet and greet did she?

Um.. as a matter of fact.. she did! I bought it in Dewey, and this is the first time she wore it since then. I don't think it has metallic threads though. It's a fancy green and gold silk fabric. Her neck is so small, that I have to adjust most martingales as small as they'll go, so there's almost no point to her martingales having a lining.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Carl did that when I discovered fleas <ugh> on him.

I'm think' she picked up a flea hitchhiker at the meet n greet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky -- Love you :kiss2 but If "a" flea could cause that in 45 minutes I'd think it's amazing most of the all breed (and some grey) fosters that came in covered in them are still alive. Not trying to say it's not a flea, but it looks at first glance more than a stray flea picked up a few hours ago -- and it certainly may not be a collar.... :dunno

Most fleas and flea baggage I've found have actually been concentrated on the rear end and the belly, not the neck, but maybe that's just the dogs I've had :dunno Even fleas must have some sort of tiny flea brain and move away from where they are being scratched to where the dog can't reach.

Will be waiting for the mystery to be unraveled.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Possible it could have been a flea, but I've picked rogue fleas off her before, they're always on the butt or back of the thighs.

I do find the whole thing odd. I've been home from the grocery store for almost 3 hours.. and she hasn't even touched that area. No scratching or trying to lick the area, no discomfort that I can see. Whatever it was- it was concentrated to the 45 minutes I was gone.

Maybe I have a ghost who tried to wring her neck for me. :lol

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

She didn't happen to wear a snazzy Martingale with metallic threads in it to the meet and greet did she?

Um.. as a matter of fact.. she did! I bought it in Dewey, and this is the first time she wore it since then. I don't think it has metallic threads though. It's a fancy green and gold silk fabric. Her neck is so small, that I have to adjust most martingales as small as they'll go, so there's almost no point to her martingales having a lining.

Does it have a lining or not? Prickly threads, plastic-y thread ends, or certain types of webbing with no lining will do exactly that to Joseph.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ducky -- Love you :kiss2 but If "a" flea could cause that in 45 minutes I'd think it's amazing most of the all breed (and some grey) fosters that came in covered in them are still alive. Not trying to say it's not a flea, but it looks at first glance more than a stray flea picked up a few hours ago -- and it certainly may not be a collar.... :dunno

Most fleas and flea baggage I've found have actually been concentrated on the rear end and the belly, not the neck, but maybe that's just the dogs I've had :dunno Even fleas must have some sort of tiny flea brain and move away from where they are being scratched to where the dog can't reach.

Will be waiting for the mystery to be unraveled.

Dear Pam, your box of East Coast fleas has been shipped. :lol They are the East Coast invisible Vampire only-bite-on-the-neck Fleas.

Actually, I picked up a foster once with scratches just like Sage's. He was a virtual flea circus and the owners didn't know why he was scratching.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That is how Riley's neck would look after an afternoon in an unlined collar. He has a very sensitive and naked neck. Feel better soon baby.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Energy11

I'd go for a FLEA ALLERGY maybe. ONE flea, can cause a dog to react by intense itching and biting :-( AND/OR, she maybe allergic to the new martingale? Just a thought.

Benedryl would help BOTH of the above. You can give 50 -75 mg, every six hours if needed. Of course, just plain Benedryl or it's generic, not the allergy sinus stuff.

Good Luck. Poor baby ... does look sore.

Having had two dogs with allergies at this point, I believe that is ABSOLUTELY scratching.

Any chance she got a flea passenger at the meet and greet? Some dogs are actually allergic to fleas, and just one bite sets off a reaction.

I'd give her Benadryl and watch her. If it just stops, I'd chalk it up to a bug bite, and try not to worry too much!

As we know, Greyhound skin is very fragile. It doesn't take much to get it looking like that, which is why George has to wear a shirt during allergy season, or his "arm pits" would look like that after a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck