Dog Food And Protein Level

Guest Polly

I am looking for a new food for 2 of my greys. I had been using TD and it hasn't helped the teeth at all. I was told to look for food with less than 22% protein (was told it is better for greys not to have too high a protein level). Some posts I have read look as if people want higher protein levels? I am trying Blue Buffalo (22%) but having the loose poop problem. I saw one called Canine Caviar - it is a freeze dried raw food diet - the lamb was 21% protein. What do people think about the importance of protein level? Any other items I should be looking at? Thank you! Rider, Lilly, and Jack's mom

I don't think you'll find many here agreeing with the less than 22% idea -- what's the authority for that?? If it's not protein, fat, moisture, or fiber, it's carbs, and dogs certainly don't need more of those. Remember greys at the track are getting kibble + raw meat.

I wouldn't even think of something as a higher protein food until it gets above 30% protein.

Lots of folks here have had good results with TOTW, which is 25% protein for Pacific Stream, and what, I think around 32% for the others?

Most people here also think Science Diet (that's what TD is, right, their dental prescription food?) is about the worst crap you can buy, unless there's a really specific prescription diet that is needed for a medical reason. But no kibble is going to do any kind of meaningful good for cleaning teeth, vs. brushing, using Petzlife, giving raw bones, or a zillion other things.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Swifthounds

I don't think you'll find many here agreeing with the less than 22% idea -- what's the authority for that?? If it's not protein, fat, moisture, or fiber, it's carbs, and dogs certainly don't need more of those. Remember greys at the track are getting kibble + raw meat.

I wouldn't even think of something as a higher protein food until it gets above 30% protein.

:nod

It's not so much the amount of protein but the quality that matters. Protein should come from meat sources and dry protein is harder on the body.