Sallie With A Sore Paw

Last night Sallie hurt her foot somehow. When I came home from work, she was fine, doing her part in the "mom's home" frenzy. Part of that involves everyone running in and out through the dog door. So, I was putting my stuff away and heard her yelp. I turned around and she was standing in the kitchen, holding up her back (right) foot. I checked it over, no blood, no sharp objects embedded, no obviously broken bones. I got everybody fed and checked her over again more closely, still nothing obvious, so I decided no e-vet. This morning I was hoping she would be better. She's not, really, still limping/hopping, although she will put it down when she stands.

So, I am not sure if I should take her to the vet or not. Still no obvious injury, so I am guessing a sprained or fractured toe, or a soft tissue injury. Which the vet can't really do anything for. Take her in? Give her some pain meds and wait and see?

I'd wait a couple of days and see if it doesn't resolve itself. Someone may have just stepped on her in the frenzy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Sorry she got hurt!

You can try to see if the vet will give you some Deramaxx or Rimadyl and keep her on it for a few days, also leash walking her and/or restricting her activity. My former vet/employer always told me to put mine on Deramaxx and restrict activity for a few days before "panicking," and his advice always worked.

Obviously, if this doesn't clear up in a few days with rest and meds, you might want to get an xray, because some there might be a small fracture, you can't feel.

Good Luck!

I have Tramadol, I gave her one last night and it seemed to help. No problem restricting activity! She has only gotten up to eat, and go out this morning for a potty break (fenced yard, dog door) I am inclined to wait, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks!

Are you 100% sure all her toe joints are properly in line (not dislocated), no foreign bodies, no swollen spots?

Asking just because it is very odd for a dog not to put a foot down for that length of time unless there's something seriously wrong. If it's a dislocation, you'd really want to address that ASAP -- waiting is not good.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I went over that whole side, hip, knee, everything pretty carefully last night, and again this morning. She really only seems to be sensitive with the foot. She will put the foot down when standing, and sometimes steps (limps) on it to walk. In fact, this morning she is mostly limping, not much hopping. It is clearly sore and she doesn't want to put weight on it, but I really think it is a foot/toe problem.

Fletcher was gimping around earlier in the week with a sore/swollen paw, but his resolved in less than 24 hrs (he's such a klutz) It's been a week, though :rolleyes:

edited to add, it is *maybe* slightly swollen, not at all like Fletcher's was earlier this week, or Molly's was when she broke her toe.

Edited by Remolacha

Well, unfortunately, Sallie's paw did NOT get better over the weekend, so I took her in this morning. Broken toe :( Vet showed me the xray, it looks pretty nasty, and I know it's sore. Poor little girl. Vet is putting a foam bandage on it, wants to try and stabilize it for a few days. She says, it's like a boot for a person. So I go and pick her up at lunch time. I hope they give her good drugs :lol

Poor thing, hope she heals quickly. Bullet broke two toes at once and wore a huge bandage up to his elbow for several weeks but healed up nicely.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Well, this bandage isn't huge, although the vet said she kept trying to shake it off :rolleyes: Ten days to two weeks would be "optimal", but even a week will help. At least she should feel better. I know this injury isn't uncommon for greys (those long bony feet).