If You Could Spare Some Good Thoughts For Mittens Today

In July, Mittens, our Border Collie, had a tumor removed from her upper mouth which turned out to be an aggressive malignant melanoma. The vet didn't expect her to survive very long. Chemotherapy isn't very effective and radiation would seriously mess up her quality of life. She just turned 13. Our vet used the laser to remove all of the tumor that was visible.

Anyway, she has been doing amazingly well. She's happy and eating and as active as ever. The tumor has grown back, so this morning she is having another "debulking", which basically means the vet will laser off as much as he can. She also really needs a dental, so he's going to do that as well today. I feel somewhat optimistic because he wouldn't go through with a dental if she wasn't doing so well.

She's scheduled for this morning, so if you could send some good thoughts and prayers, we would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much!

Edited by Magdalyn58
Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Sendgin healing thought from all the critters here in Battersea

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Sending prayers for Mittens. I have a soft spot for Border Collies. My daughter rescued one nine years ago and he is almost 16 years old. They're a very sweet breed.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

We'll cross our fingers everything goes well for Mittens.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Update at 1:30 PM:

The vet called around 10:30 and Mittens was still in surgery. The melanoma has spread to her tonsils cry1.gif and she also needed several teeth extracted. We gave him the go ahead to try to get as much of the tumor lasered off her tonsils as possible. At 12:30 PM, my DH called him again and he said that we can come and pick her up at 3 PM.

I realize that this is just a matter of time. I keep telling myself that Mittens doesn't know she has cancer, so she is not experiencing the emotional agony that we are. We are determined to keep her as comfortable and as happy for as long as possible.

I will check in again once she's home. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sending my prayers for you and your sweet old girl (I love her name, I can almost see a picture in my mind!) I hope her surgery will buy her a lot more time with you.

Mittens was happy to get back home. My heart broke when I saw her; she really looked beaten up, the poor baby. She had a little supper (soft diet for a week) of ground up chicken breast and brown rice and a little water. She slept most of the night. My DH said that everyone at the vet's office has fallen in love with her.

I have to emotionally force myself NOT to think of the future and to enjoy every minute left with her. But my mind naturally goes to things like, "This will probably be our last Thanksgiving and Christmas together." And then the tears come. I know that I love my dogs too much. I just don't know any other way of being. It's just the way I am.

Daisy was very upset with Mittens' appearance. She stayed near her most of the evening, as if she was watching over her. Right now she's sleeping in her usual spot, in the foyer on the cool tile floor in front of the door. I put a special blanket in her bed for tonight.

Thank you again for all of your kind wishes. They really helped a lot.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest zoolaine

For Mittens: :kiss2 Having gone through cancer this January to June with Sunny, I know what you are going through. You can only enjoy Mittens and love her for the sweet girl she is. I did a lot of crying before Sunny passed and still cry I miss him so much. I hope Mittens has the best Thanksgiving and Christmas ever!