It Happened...

Guest lynne893

Guest Profgumby

It has been mentioned here a few times. You should see intent or aggression before it becomes a charge or a dominance contest. If you cannot, muzzles! And as also been said, be very careful throwing balls or when they have "high value" treats, possessive issue will rear up even between long time doggie room mates. We had to watch our last 2 whippets even in their last years due to possessive issues of food or high value items. And they were sisters from the same litter, born 7 minutes apart!

Beauty, though high prey drive and high energy is not ever aggressive! But during play, sometimes she will rise up and place paws on PatC's back...which is not good. PatC is Queen of the roost and will tell Beauty so! But I can tell before this will happen and the first time I see Beauty rising up, or putting paws on or putting her head up over PatC I immediately stop their "play" and call them to me.

If I see PatC with tail high,head low and get "that look" I will get between her and Beauty and take control of PatC! Do not allow dogs with dominance issues to work it out or you will see the E-vet more often that anyone would like. PatC gets a thin line of hair that goes up on her neck and back when she is really getting aggressive/dominant. I have my hand on her Martindale collar in 3 seconds and redirect the activities.

And these are great dogs that get along amazingly well! And these "issues" are becoming fewer and further in between as they do establish life in this pack of 4 humans and 2 hounds.(I have a harder time controlling our two sons than the dogs!)

Also, you have to establish the pecking order in your house and be consistent! The husband must be the Alpha, and wife second only to him. Obviously in single parent households you will be the alpha, male or female. What has also worked for us with our dogs is whichever is above the other, we reinforce it, constantly! As an example, with the whippets, Missy was always before Simone. This worked due to actually having Missy for 6 months before Simone and Missy clearly having the dominant personality.

With the girls now, PatC was here first and she also has the dominant personality, even though Beauty is 2 years older. Prey drive and activity level has nothing to do with it, in our experience.

When my sisters Lab is here, or we are at their house even he will not mess with PatC! Maybe once, but one growl from her and he won't bother her again. He will mess with Beauty every chance he gets, and she aggressively defends herself against him. Yet the old horn dog will start air humping if we do not watch him and when he gets too close to Beauty she will snap and growl at him. If that big dopey lab can figure it out.....

PatC is so laid back and easy going but she clearly rules the roost and is the dominant dog here. We even say she is a bully as she will charge Beauty and try to take away a toy when they are playing in the yard or when they get new stuffies inside. PatC will eventually end up with both...

Again, I am no pro trainer or dog psychologist...I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I am merely relating what has worked for us for 14 years with the whippets and so far with these 2 knuckle heads!

Guest 4dogscrazy

Re the "primal scream" to control the dog:

- if you scream at dogs that are fighting you will throw up the prey drive and adrenalin flow that's happening in front of you - you may even be asking for a bite aimed at you if the panicky sound makes the dog redirect... same for yelling frantically at a dog that has a cat or a squirrel in its mouth- yelling sounds like the panic of prey - that's an exciting piece of encouragement if you're a dog...you have to learn not to do what humans do naturally - instead, keep calm and don't yell - get a bite stick, keep it outside and learn how to use it, a blanket, a hose, a pail and banger to make metallic noise, stuff that will surprise them...then practise - rehearse in your mind how this is going to go if it happens - believe it or not, studies say that if you rehearse it, you'll have a much better chance of doing it in real life if you need to.

The scream was not my plan of action. I've had dogs all my life, never saw such a loud and noisey fight ever. Of course, I've never had four dogs at one time either. The scream was my freaking out and totally losing my mind. I'm just glad I didn't try to grab a collar, it was so sudden and I wasn't in the room when it started. Panic set in, and I mean that panic that takes a day for the shakes to go away. My adrenaline was so over the top I saw spots and even peed my pants a little when I screamed! That's why I schooled everyone in the house on what to do if it ever happens again. There were warning signs that my infighting was getting to the breaking point, I was just inexperienced and didn't know what to do. I took control of the problem, and they all get along really well now. I can't remember the last time I had a small nip from the yard, or any kind of skirmish between them. I guess I wasn't clear when I was telling my story. Screaming at them will only make it worse. I'm just lucky that they stopped.

Guest freightsmom

I think he'll just be annoyed to have to take that extra step and also I think he won't believe it's necessary. He's a great guy, I don't mean to make him out to sound like a bone head or anything. You know how sometimes we worry warts see all good reason in the world for something and our spouses just don't see it the same way? But like I said, I'll share everyone's advice.

I so understand the spouse issue...

When we added Aim as a second grey, my better half thought muzzling both dogs when playing outside was not really necessary. So, what did I do? I made him pay the vet bill when Aim play nipped Freightliner in the side within the first month :P

No more issues with muzzles, no more kidding me about being overly cautious and more importantly, no more vet visits for grey on grey injuries :thumbs-up

Guest pichick712

OMG!!! How frightening that must have been. I would have been freaking out!!!! Yes, play outside one on one and if they are outside together, muzzle them. Their skin is so fragile. On other dogs it would have been nothing but on greys, it seems to always be bad.