Half Back?

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

I was just re reading Adam's original thread and I saw that his previous owner said he was dx with "half back", does anyone know what that term means and how it is dx'd?

He has had a couple of flare ups with his back and now the flare ups are become slightly more frequent.

Guest fandogs

Are you sure the term is half back?

There is something that happens to some GHs when they run too hard. (I forget the name) but they are retired right away. It's a spinal injury, and within about a week, they drop all muscle tone.. it's very fast..and very debilitating.. and recovery takes almost a year.

Some of the racing folks on here might know what it's medical name is.

Guest Energy11

The ONLY thing I can think of is Lumbar Stenosis .. .which makes their rear ends "sag" when they stand???

I worked for a vet for four years, and never heard the term, either.

Guest greytbookert

There is something that happens to some GHs when they run too hard. (I forget the name) but they are retired right away. It's a spinal injury, and within about a week, they drop all muscle tone.. it's very fast..and very debilitating.. and recovery takes almost a year.

The term used was half back, that I'm sure of. I know what you are referring to and I think that is called running their back off. This isn't what is going on with Adam. He is kind of having the same issue as Lucy's Legs, where he is biting at his hind quarters. He did have pain in his back about a month ago. He doesn't seem to be in any pain now, he runs normal, walks normal, gets up and down from the sofa and beds without issue. It's strange...

The ONLY thing I can think of is Lumbar Stenosis .. .which makes their rear ends "sag" when they stand???

I worked for a vet for four years, and never heard the term, either.

He doesn't have this, I'm pretty sure. At least it isn't presenting as the rear end sag. My Booker had LS and this is different. Perplexing.... today we noticed if we put even the slightest touch on his rear, his hind quarters twist. Everything else is normal. We will, of course, be bringing him in for another looksee. He's as happy as can be and doesn't appear to have any weakness or pain, no muscle loss, just the strange "biting" and twisting. In my gut, it says something spinal but I'm not sure.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

General kennel term is "running their back off" and the proper term is

Exertional Rhabdomyolysis broken down from there into Hyperacute, Acute and Subacute.

Never heard of the term, half back

Guest greytbookert

General kennel term is "running their back off" and the proper term is

Exertional Rhabdomyolysis broken down from there into Hyperacute, Acute and Subacute.

Never heard of the term, half back

Thanks Heather! I figured if anyone had heard the term, you'd know about it. I guess something got lost in translation :dunno . I'll be taking Adam in next week for a check, probably some xrays to start and we'll go from there.