Myelofibrosis

Guest SueG201

Guest SueG201

My friends 3 yr old Silken Winhound was just diagnosed with Myelofibrosis,, and the outlook is not good, has anyone ever dealt with this, she is distraught to say the least and 10k poorer

Where has she had the dog vetted? If not a university teaching hospital, I'd get to one fast.

It's generally a *secondary* condition -- the dog has another disease which causes this one -- and not common at that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know very little of it in humans and did some reading. It's essentially a form of leukemia where some genetic mutation effects the stem cells that form the bone marrow. As the mutates stem cells proliferate they sort of replace the bone marrow with fibrogenous collagen. (That's the nutshell explanation). This then effects the blood cells because blood cells (platelets, whites and reds) are manufactured in the bone marrow predominantly in the sternum and femurs (of humans, they're the largest bones). It mainly strikes humans over age 50 and I got the feeling it's pretty rare. I did not find anything to indicate it as a secondary disease, but again, that's in humans. I also didn't read much about treatment options

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I did not find anything to indicate it as a secondary disease, but again, that's in humans. I also didn't read much about treatment options

Primary myelofibrosis is either exceedingly rare or nonexistent in dogs depending on what source or study you read. It seems to be almost entirely secondary. However, there were a couple of items on idiopathic myelofibrosis. I've no idea how one determines the difference between primary myelofibrosis and secondary but idiopathic myelofibrosis. Or perhaps it was referred to as idiopathic because there are certain common risk factors associated with secondary myelofibrosis but no conclusive link. It just seems so incredibly rare that info is hard to dredge up. I only searched for it because of the OPs reference to being a sighthound disease & the fact that it sounded familiar but I could not remember why. I believe it must have turned up when I was researching anemia &/or lymphocytosis.

SueG, am sorry about your friend's dog. Why did you say it was a sighthound disease? I found nothing in my admittedly brief search to indicate that it was so I am now wondering what I missed. Though the stats are certainly not what I would want for my dog they do seem to be about 50/50 so I hope most sincerely those odds in this dog's favor.

Guest jerrybird

Now I'm thinking that I have read an article on this in Silken Windhounds a while back. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it is an inherited genetic disorder. Is there any way that your friend cound get in touch with her breeder?