Buddy - Now Liver Cancer..

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Thurs Went to MVS - they did ultrasound needle aspirate of liver, blood & urine collection for cultures. Gave Bud antibiotic shot to see if that helped

Vet called Sat - said had abnormal cells, but couldn't with 100% certainty say they are cancer. Normally there is a mass that can be seen on liver ultrasound and this isn't the case. Trying antibiotics over weekend to see if improvement while we wait for culture results.

Bud seemed to do better on Antibiotic - called Monday and got more thru Wed.

Today another Vet on the team called (orig Dr E mom broke leg so he's out of office) - she said preliminarly nothing came back from cultures so they are now thinking it's liver cancer.

She said orig Dr E didn't think operating would be good given Bud's 10 and he has a soft tissue sarcoma on his paw. We were going to do radiation on his paw - that's what started all blood tests.

She has no idea how long Bud's got - I can't find anything on internet. She's gonna call back Friday to see how Bud's doing.

He's not jaundice, still wants to go for walks and car rides. He's finicky about what he wants to eat and when he wants to eat. He has lost weight.

I don't know what to do....please help!

:cry1:sad1:brokenheart

Oh man, that is just so unfair!!! :grouphug

Yes, please get a second opinion from OSU. A few years ago my local radiologist vet diagnosed Loca with bone cancer (chondrosarcoma, not osteo) and the vets at OSU determined that she was misdiagnosed and was fine.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hoping for just some inflammation. And sending hugs to you -- I can imagine how worried you must feel.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending our best thoughts!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hoping hard that vet is not right.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

In the meantime, would you consider giving Buddy some Denamarin? You can get it from your Vet. It's a little pricey, but it's an excellent liver support med and will take effect immediately.

Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Todd, my other grey has been on Denamarin for a a few years. I'll ask the vet tomorrow am. Wonder why they didn't suggest? It really irriates me that they offer no suggestions/hope, etc.

I sent lab work & results to Dr Cuoto today. I'm still praying for my Bud...

Sending many prayers and hugs to you and your sweet boy.

:hope:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I still don't understand - Dr C said a liver biopsy will tell what kind of patholgoy Buddy has and he mentioned maybe it's hepatits.

I don't understand possible liver cancer...would it be unnecessary suffering for Bud to have a biospy?

If they could fix his liver - would his Soft Tisue Sarcoma be too advanced that they couldn't do radiation..

I wish I could understand this..

Waiting for a call back from Animal Cancer Imaging & MVS....

Edited by DundeeToddsMom

Actually obtaining a liver bx isn't that hard. You can get a bx much the way they got the cytology only instead of using a fine needle to aspirate the liver they use an a larger bore instrument to get a "core bx". The tissue they get from that procedure allows a larger sample--actually a piece of the liver (they actually call the tissue obtained a "worm"--because it is in the same shape). Your pup will need to be sedated but, only a short acting sed is required---I would recommend a clotting profile to be done first (livers bleed). I see your in Michigan--how close are you to OSU?? Really might be worthwhile to make the trip there. Many of us have traveled many hours to receive their care--myself included--(8 hours each way). ;) If you decide to go pm me and I can fill you in with the details---hotels etc or contact Jane--joejoesmom--she's always only to glad to help!

I wanted to add that if it's hepatitis--antibotics are neeeded

Edited by tbhounds

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Update - now we get a call from MVS that Buddy's tested postivie for Bartonella. They call in a script to local Meijers for Zythromycin (not sure if I spelled that right) and we are supposed to give him SAME also. They are still concerned about cancer. Please send prayers for my Cuddle Bud!

This is the most understandable info on Bartonella I found in a quick search: Bartonella in dogs Does your vet think the Bartonella could be causing the liver abnormalities (I see that it can cause hepatitis), or is a separate infection?

Hugs to your cuddle bud.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I hope it's just Bartonella and not cancer too. :grouphug

We've gotten sam-e at Costco cheaper than other places, but it's still expensive. Sometimes they have sales on it.

Hugs to you and scritches to Buddy!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Todd, my other grey has been on Denamarin for a a few years. I'll ask the vet tomorrow am. Wonder why they didn't suggest? It really irriates me that they offer no suggestions/hope, etc.

I sent lab work & results to Dr Cuoto today. I'm still praying for my Bud...

Denamarin

I have another link at home for it and it is even cheaper.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****