Spine Vs Knee In Limping

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Briley (9 year old Catahoula mix) had surgery for a torn CCL 2 months ago. He was limping for about 3-4 weeks prior to the surgery. He would go back and forth over which leg he limp or wouldn't weight bear on and for about 2 days prior to the surgery could hardly walk because they both hurt and were weak from the pain. So he had TTA surgery and has done quite well - still some limping and atrophy on the left but was getting better every week. and he hasn't limped at all on the right since the surgery which surprised me. Sunday he was limping a little on the right. Monday morning he couldn't even stand up until I gave him pain meds and waited about 30 minutes then he managed to the living room and that was it and was not even putting the right leg down. I got him to the surgeon in Seattle which said he probably "tweaked" the right leg. X-rays of the left leg looked good and everything was healing. By that time Briley was walking about 70% of normal. He is now back on Tramadol 100mg 3x/day and Rimadyl 2x/a day. This morning limping bad again and at lunch time wouldn't put the left (operated side) down :huh

Now I am thinking maybe he has a spinal issue. He does seem to have an area along his spine that is bulging out a bit - but I may be paranoid too. Doesn't make sense that he stopped limping after the surgery if it was spinal. But none of his symptoms seem to make sense these days. Any thoughts?

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I dont have any advise but im hoping Briley feels better soon.... you need a break from sick/injuried pets everyone needs to be ok just for a while. :grouphug

Guest zoolaine

I dont have any advise but im hoping Briley feels better soon.... you need a break from sick/injuried pets everyone needs to be ok just for a while. :grouphug

That is for sure. I did make it 5 weeks and 5 days between vet appointments - a record for 2010

Has there been an MRI done of his spine? Could he have a disk that's herniating? You have all my sympathies. A rehab vet recently said that you need to be careful with muscle relaxers because if there *is* any disk bulging, the relaxing of the muscles around it may allow it to go ahead and blow out. (I'll spare you the backstory there.) I don't know if pain killers might have the same effect as muscle relaxers along these lines, but it's conceivable, so I thought I'd mention it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).