Brushing Dogs Teeth Vs Dental Bones

Guest grammarules

Guest grammarules

I have arthritic hands and can barely brush my own teeth let alone my Shelby's teeth. I regularly give her dental bones especially if she's been eating canned meat. Is this enough? Do groomers do this for you? :unsure

Guest racergirl435

In my opinion, it really depends on the dog. Our lab is going to be 11 in December. We've never had to brush her teeth nor has she needed a dental cleaning as she's always been a chewer. Her teeth are as sparkly white now as they were when she was a puppy. For dogs that aren't chewers, I personally don't think a dental bone is enough. They should, at the very least get a good dental cleaning once a year. Good dental health is so important. Our Seymour was not a chewer and though he wasn't a fan of it, he tolerated having his teeth brushed every now and then. It didn't matter how often I brushed them, he still always needed his dental cleanings. I used to use an electric tooth brush on him and seemed to tolerate that a little better. Probably because I was pushing as hard with that.

I think some groomers will brush teeth, but this will vary widely.

Greyhound teeth follow no rules. I have four greys - one needs a dental every year, one needs one every 2-3 years, two have not needed dentals and don't appear to need one in the near future. They all get exactly the same food and treats. I do not brush their teeth. They all get a chew bone of various sorts every night.

Check on your girls teeth - are the gums pink and healthy? Is there tartar build-up, especially at the gum line? Is her breath fresh or not? Does she exhibit any difficulty or pain when chewing? Is there any swelling inside or outside her mouth? Any lesions or open sores or unusual growths visible?

Any one of these things would be a reason to take her to a vet for a good dental check up and cleaning.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Petzlife oral care spray might be just the ticket for you ... lots of us here have seen great results from it. All you'd need to do is press the top of a small spray bottle 4-5 times.

I do raw bones (no fake/processed dental bones), brush, use Petzlife ... not all on the same day! but at a minimum I either brush or use Petzlife every single night before bed. When I adopted Beth I was told (via the vet who'd done her dental) that she had exceptionally good teeth for a greyhound, and I've been diligent (many might say obsessed) about keeping them good. I've had her 2+ years and she's very far from needing a dental any time soon.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Swifthounds

There's nothing that's really a good substitute for daily brushing. Quality chewing can help. A dental can be helpful if teeth are bad and for inspection of teeth for soundness. Dental cleanings aren't really all that useful for the health and condition of teeth as even if you do it every six months (with all of the anesthesia risks) the dog still has a nasty mouth with bacteria being dumped into the bloodstream and carried to vital organs to wreak havoc there as well the other 363 days of the year. Elminimation of kibble from the diet goes a long way to not adding the buidling blocks of tartar and bacteria as well. Petzlife spray or gel and/or a dental rinse with chlorhexidine is helpful as well.

Guest Sunset123

I'm pretty obsessive about teeth cleaning. I brush and do Petzlife every evening, use Plaqueoff supplement in the kibble, and give a weekly bully stick.

Every dog is different. I have one that could use a dental once a month even if I brush every day and use Petzlife. Another might need a dental once a year and the third could probably go about 2 or 3 years between dentals.

I have a friend with RA and she has patiently trained her dog to accept an electric toothbrush! Has made a world of difference in the appearance of his teeth! She gives a treat after using the electric brush, so he now comes running when she gets it out. :rolleyes:

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I have arthritic hands and can barely brush my own teeth let alone my Shelby's teeth. I regularly give her dental bones especially if she's been eating canned meat. Is this enough? Do groomers do this for you? :unsure

Yes groomers can brush dogs teeth, but the thing most people dont realize is that dog tooth paste doesnt actually need to be rubbed on a lot its enzyme based and breaks down the plaque on its own.

there a a few thing i could suggest that may be easier on you

-petz life oral care spray/gel

-bully sticks/pizzle Nothing added dog treats

-Raw knuckle/soup bones

The lady who sells the bully sticks (beef pizzle) are one of the cheapest places i have found in canada to order from, at her prices they get a few sticks a week.

I do both! Electric toothbrush here, too - it's amazing how most will tolerate it. Even my spooky little Jack let me brush his teeth with a battery operated toothbrush and learned to like it for the treats he got afterwards (he was a VERY food oriented little dog, was Jack!).

I also feed at least one of the following: pig ears, pizzles, dried green tripe, dried chicken necks, dental sticks, etc. every day, and my dogs always have something like a smoked bone available as well, because I personally believe that chewing is good for a dog's mental/psychological welfare as well as his teeth.

It's also true, as Lovey Hounds says, that a good enzymatic toothpaste will still do some good if you just put it into the dogs' mouths without brushing, though brushing with it is better because you're removing some gunk mechanically as well.

There are solutions you can add to the water, and there are supplements to add to their food, and there are gels or sprays you can put directly in your dog's mouth. By all means try them, but so far, I've found that nothing is as good as a combination of brushing and chewing.

Some hounds have gunky saliva (just as some people do) and this makes them lay down plaque and then tartar far more quickly than usual. I've had two dogs like this; Jack, and now Sid. Sid recently came back from two weeks in kennels with his sparkly whites yellowed and with a thin dark line of tartar already forming - in two weeks! So, I do everything I can think of, since poor Jack ended up with only about three teeth left to chew on. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I have to agree with teeth brushing,,, :brushteeth I use a sonic tooth brush on all of mine,,, even though the GSP does not need it,, I do it anyway,, and do not think "dental bones" do much,,, I too use all natural "chews" such as bully sticks,,, beef tendons, or raw bones

Guest DoofBert

We use the electric toothbrushes on the hounds.... And, when I apply the petzlife, I use the spray or wrap a finger in guaze and apply the gel.

Sometimes I'll just dip the gauze in biotine mouthwash and rub the teeth/gums. (I do this more often for our Tessa who has troublesome tartar buildup)

Good luck.

Guest grammarules

I had to take Shelby for some blood work yesterday and the Vet showed me how to brush her teeth. I was surprised that she let me do it. Thanks for every ones help. I was wondering if there was something other than doggy toothpaste I could use. Something more natural.:colgate