I Lost My Echo Yesterday

Guest cms121979

Guest cms121979

Dont know how many remember me, but I started on this forum about a year or so ago trying to find help for my plaqued boy with separation anxiety. Well yesterday was a normal day until I came home from work and found my Echo passed away in his crate. He was a young boy - only 5 years old - and all seemed perfectly normal yesterday morning. Sunday night he seemed like he had a LOT of gas and was yaking without producing vomit, but that was only for about an hour. After he drank some water, he curled up on his spot on the couch and I tucked him in for the night. Yesterday morning he woke me bright and early with the typical cold nose under the blanket and against the most opportune place to wake me up in a hurry. We snuggled in bed, he stole the covers, and proceeded to stretch as far as he could to take up the most amount of space. We walked a few time yesterday before I went to work in the afternoon. Potty functions were all normal. He ate some treats around lunch time for his usual stupid human tricks session. He seemed perky and happy and normal. I opened his crate and he walked right in, settled down for a nap and I left for work. I came home and he was gone. My vet is doing a necropsy because I can't imagine what the issue was. Vet doesn't think bloat because his abdomen wasn't distended. His throat was, and it appeared that he bit his tongue hard, so the vet thinks possible seizure or acute heart attack. But we will have more answers hopefully later today.

Echo was my first grey. He had a lot of issues. The life the greys lead is a hard and fast one - one with little consistency and formal training. He hated to be home alone. He needed to know where I was at all times. But he was fantastic with other animals, great with kids (he loved to play with my neices and nephew) and generally an all around wonderful soul. He gave me a sense of being needed and loved. He taught me that it doesn't matter how many people think you're not worth the effort, just so long as someone does. He taught me the value of patience and consistency. Within 6 months of adoption, he was CGC and Therapy Dog certified, proving that even if the body is retired from racing, the heart and the mind never go out of business. My life is forever changed by him. He will never know just how much I needed and loved him. Hug your grey today. Every day is a gift.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so so very sorry to hear about Echo. The first grey I lost (Topaz) was only 5 as well. But I had a month's notice. Not sudden like you. My first girl (Brindle) who outlived Topaz however died suddenly. She bled out from hemangiosarcoma.

Topaz's loss has stayed with me ever since (11 yrs now) and in fact has started a legacy. She was white and black. And I've now have had 3 more white/black girls. Pearl, became my heart and soul (and I just lost her this year...age 12). Jade and Opal are still with me. I feel that I will always need a white and black girl in my pack.

You have my sincerest and deepest sympathy.

:f_red

I am so sorry for your loss. He was much much too young to leave.

Run free Echo - no more separation to worry about.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest grammarules

I know that my greyhound is like my baby and I've only had her for less than a year. I can't imagine how you must feel. So sorry for your loss.

:f_pink

Guest longdoglady

I am so sorry for your sudden loss :grouphug Echo went to the bridge knowing how much you loved him and loving you even though your time together was far too short. God speed Echo.

My heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry. It sounds to me like you two were so meant for each other. I think Echo does know how you love him always and how important he is to you and personally I think he'll be with you always. Maybe not the same way as before but he'll be there for you-just like you were for him when he needed it. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

I am so sorry that your boy had to leave. I am sure that there is a new star shining brightly in the heavens named Echo.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very sorry for your loss. Do not blame yourself ... it sounds as though he started the day just like any other with no reason for alarm. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. My thoughts are with you today. :grouphug

I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow