Antlers As Chews

Jerilyn

I have seen topics here about giving deer antlers to the dogs to chew on. I think they were purchased commercially.

Does anyone know if they are processed in any way? I have access to antlers through relatives who hunt. Could I give them to Lila right off the deer? :blink:

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I have seen topics here about giving deer antlers to the dogs to chew on. I think they were purchased commercially.

Does anyone know if they are processed in any way? I have access to antlers through relatives who hunt. Could I give them to Lila right off the deer? :blink:

I think they're fine to give right off the deer (if you can get them away from the hunter :eek ). I'm looking forward to deer season here to get good raw bones for my pups. The "trash" after they're done butchering. I grab it up! I never get antlers though - they don't part with those! :lol

Lovely raw venison bones, with marrow and scraps of meat attached - woo hoo! Divvied up into freezer bags, and it's good protein and chewing for months to come. :) Deer leg bones aren't nearly as dense as cow - so no worries about chipped teeth. (I DO give my dogs cow marrow bones though with no issue, but some don't). Ribs are great too - pretty much anything is fine. Go grab that hunting garbage! Your dogs will LOVE you! B)

Guest Wasserbuffel

Ask for anything you gan get. I know a lot of hunters who butcher their own and they often don't use meat that is tough to get to, or too full of connective tissue. The connective tissue makes for gamey meat, but the dogs don't care. The portions of the legs above the knee, but below the larger muscles, the ribs and much of the neck are very often just wasted. I would avoid taking ribs from deer that were gut shot though.

If you have access to that meat, your dog will be in venison heaven! I've gotten scrap meat from two deer this year and have been giving Jayne some with her kibble for a few weeks now. She LOVES it.

Guest lynne893

We bought some deer antler chews (maybe 5" long) from a special pet boutique. They were expensive! Maybe $13 each? The dogs seemed delighted at first, but now are kind of blase about them. I think they were too hard to really knaw on.

Guest Lovemyhound

We bought some deer antler chews (maybe 5" long) from a special pet boutique. They were expensive! Maybe $13 each? The dogs seemed delighted at first, but now are kind of blase about them. I think they were too hard to really knaw on.

Actually my dogs were quite the opposite - they were not really sure what to do with them at first, it took a loooooong time of casual gnawing to finally get into something that interested them. Now they chew on them quite regularly. I'm probably soon gonna be placing a second order.

And, don't buy them from a specialty shop, I'm sure you will pay more. Go to this link at Elkusa.com and scroll down the page. There are several options. I think I bought the small antlers, can't remember now it's been so long ago. They certainly are the longest lasting dog toy/chew that has ever graced this house!! :lol You'll notice if you scroll all the way down the page of options that you can buy the antlers sliced down the middle so they are apparently more appealling to the pup. Somehow I didn't like that idea as it seemed it may create a sharp edge for the pup to chew on. :blink:

Good Luck with your shopping!

Oh, and no, I don't believe they are "processed" in any way. You could possibly send a message to that supplier and ask that very question.