Chloe's T4

RobinM

Chloe has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in 06. We did the full panel and sent it to MSU. After being put on .05 bid she became the Chloe we all love. Our crazy and silly girl.

Every 6 months we get her T4 done. We had it done this past Saturday, however it was 2.5 hours after her morning pill.

Her T-4 results are .02 with the meds. She seems other wise OK. and my vet doesn't see any reason to increase the dose. I don't think she is being any more sluggish then usual, her weight is good and everything else appears to be status quo.

Leave it alone?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

05 mg 2 x a day= bid

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Opps- didn't see the bid. She is on such a low dose. Per Dr Couto he has only seen 3 hounds that are truly hypothyroid. I know you said that you ran a panel from MSU-gold standard so I assume supplementation was recommended.

Usually, you would repeat a T-4 4-6 post medication so I would expect her number to be even higher than what it was. It's a tough call- if she's not clinical I don't think I would change a thing and retest in 6 months.

Edited cause typing on an iPhone can be quite a feat

Edited by tbhounds

Opps- didn't see the bid. She is on such a low dose. Per Dr Couto he has only seen 3 hounds that are truly hypothyroid. I know you said that you ran a panel from MSU-gold standard so I assume supplementation was recommended.

Usually, you would repeat a T-4 4-6 post medication so I would expect her number to be even higher than what it was. It's a tough call- if she's not clinical I don't think I would change a thing and retest in 6 months.

Edited cause typing on an iPhone can be quite a feat

If you saw the difference in Chloe before and after the meds, you would have put her on the meds no matter what her numbers. It was that bad.

So you are saying since she was tested 2 hours after taking the meds, she tested lower than she would have had I waited 4-6 hours? that makes me feel a little better,

I think MSU says the meds peak 3 hours after they are given. (Batmom posted this link: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/Endocrinology/Monitoring.php ) MSU says you can get accurate numbers after that as long as you know what the interval was.

My vet advises 4-6 hours after meds. Jacey goes in tomorrow at noon for tests, so I'm getting up at 7am on my day off to make sure she gets her pills early enough.

I wish I thought she'd appreciate my efforts.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

So back to my orginal question...Leave it alone?

Yep. Unless she gives you a reason to re-evaluate her. Since it was obvious when she needed the meds in the first place, I think I'd trust that she'll tell you when she needs to be reassessed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If it were me, I would leave it alone based on your description of her improvement while on the med. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

leave it alone, I will.

I just get a little concerned about the low numbers when she is on the meds. But I wouldn't have known otherwise. OK, we have a plan to do nothing. That works!

thanks!