The Pet Pantry

Guest whatahound

Guest greyhound9797

My first thought is that it's quite expensive. My second thought, after looking at the ingredients, is "where is the meat?!?!". I checked out the first dog food selection, Chicken & Rice, and the first ingredient was chicken MEAL; that is not a quality meat protein. The second and third ingredients are brown rice and milo. 2 grains listed in the first 3 ingredients? I think your money can be spent on a better quality food.

Sandra in FL

Guest whatahound

Thanks for your thoughts. Here is the one I'm looking at. My hounds are 8,10 and 12.

http://thepetpantrync.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FYP&Product_Code=700-010&Category_Code=dogDryFood

Right now I'm feeding Natures Variety-Prairie (Chicken) it's $47.00 for a 30 lb. bag.This is the product info on it. It is 26% protein vs. 20%

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Prairie/dog/kibble/chicken

Guest greyhound9797

Both foods seem to have a lot of extras that don't add up to much. Dogs aren't "built" to properly digest grains, hence the big, smelly "piles" that they leave.

If you're currently feeding Nature's Variety, why not switch to raw prey model? It's the best you can feed =)

Sandra in FL

In a dry dog food, you WANT a named meat meal rather than meat. "Meat" includes a lot of water -- a wonderful thing for a canned dog food, and a really crappy thing for a dry one.

It's a myth that dogs can't digest grains. An individual dog may have food intolerance or allergy to an individual grain (or meat), but in general dogs digest and make good metabolic use of cooked carbohydrates.

All that said, I'm not sure why you want to switch. Are the dogs not doing well on the Nature's Variety?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.