Teach To Roo

Guest johnwe

Is it possible to teach a grey to roo? Our dog is not a big vocalizer, he whines occasionally to communicate.

We have heard him bark a few times, and he can growl (ie to tell a foster where his space is).

Recently a played a YouTube video loudly of some hounds howling and roo-ing. He cam running from across the house to see what was going on. His whole body was wagging with excitement and he joined in with some roo's of his own. His was fantastic to see and hear.

Anyone have experience "training" a grey to roo on command or with you?

Guest greytloves

I did. I will admit to it.

I took a plastic crystal light container and Roo'd in it. After a few times any grey I have had will follow suit. Sometimes it leads to a big howl fest, too!

Guest mbfilby

Our mickey is a huge roo-er and will chime in with very little encouragement. She really gets into it. Her enthusiasm has taught Cy and our beagle to roo. Although the beagle does a barky whine instead of a true howl..

We taught ours, but he was prone to it anyway. Our first grey never once roo'd even when others were singing away around him.

When we first adopted Bootsy, we would roo when he did, and he eventually put the two together. So now all we have to do is give a little roo and he takes it from there!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

One person go high, one person go low - the dog will meet you in the middle. Ignore the messy house in the background :) When we start doing this she knows it's play time.

Ellie won't really vocalize on her own. She'll play bark and play growl but that's about it.

Guest cwholsin

We definitely tried to teach Hermes how to roo. He's not a very vocal hound, but we finally got him to roo with us to a youtube video of a couple dogs rooing. When he finally did it, we got really excited and praised him and he will now roo with us :colgate

A couple days ago, the hubby and doggle went downstairs for morning potty and breakfast and I came down later. When I came down, Hermes looked up from his stretch and ROO-ED at me in greeting!!!! I felt soooooooooo special :wub:

Is it possible to teach a grey to roo? Our dog is not a big vocalizer, he whines occasionally to communicate.

We have heard him bark a few times, and he can growl (ie to tell a foster where his space is).

Recently a played a YouTube video loudly of some hounds howling and roo-ing. He cam running from across the house to see what was going on. His whole body was wagging with excitement and he joined in with some roo's of his own. His was fantastic to see and hear.

Anyone have experience "training" a grey to roo on command or with you?

Neither of my girls will roo for anything. I have them listen to you tube, and go to Sandy Paws, and wont roo!! They listen but dont roo. I wish I could,

Guest avadogner

We live down the street from a firestation and for 6 yrs not a single roo out of Ava. We fostered a grey a few yrs ago and day 1 Zelda rooed with every fire run. We have taught Ava too roo but the DH and I have to do it for a couple minutes before she will join. Today Ava and Augie were in the yard and I heard then both roo with the engines. It just made me feel so much better (passing kidney stone today and feel like s&%$).

Mine only roo when the alarm clock goes off in the morning. I definitely cannot go back to sleep.

My Jack used to do that. I had a cell phone as an alarm and the sound must have caught his ear because no matter how deep of a sleep he was in, even with his eyes still closed he would sing with it. After he passed, I actually had to stop using the cell tone because I would hear it and wait to hear his beautiful voice.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I taught Dazzle to speak, but neither of mine roo, even in a kennel environment. If they don't do it on their own, you probably won't have much luck teaching them to do it on cue.

The best roo Dazzle ever gave me was some kind of yawn/bark/stretch thing. :lol And once in his sleep in the middle of the night. o.O

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest zombrie

Mine only roo when the alarm clock goes off in the morning. I definitely cannot go back to sleep.

That's convenient!

Mira only roos when the phone rings. It's nice because if I don't hear the phone, she lets me know :lol

Edited by zombrie

Guest NeroAmber

I've tried rooing at them, playing the piano- which used to get our old goldie going- playing a tin whistle- nothing! I trued playing several different rooing vids on youtube- nowt! Today we had a playdate with four other sighthounds- they had a happy roo session, but my two just looked happy and remained SILENT! :rolleyes:

I have heard that if they get into the habit they may then continue to roo of their own accord- and while I would like them to roo with me, I live in a terraced house, and I don't want to drive my lovely neighbours crazy! :lol So maybe it's not a bad thing that they're so quiet!

(I have taught Amber to 'speak' on command though! Such a cute little woof!)

No rooing here,,, my boy does not roooooo, and I love to hear others do so,,, I play the vidos,, he comes running with ears perked,,,,, no response,,,,, he does bark when the others do... loudly

When we got Gus. He rooed and started Social rooing too. Seems sirens set them off. I think it's cute but it hurts DH's ears.

They get so excited. I have to go into the room and calm them down.

Edited by CathyI8205

DarbyampChad_zpsvpn9kam5.jpg

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant."
-Cathy, DW to Al, Mom to Darby & Chad. Nana to Gabe, Dominic, & Christopher Welter
Remembering Social (2001-2014) and Gus (2007-2015)

Guest Sunset123

Arrisa is the worst roo-er. :rolleyes:

I can get her to go from a whine into a roo for a little bit, but it usually turns into barking.

We have a local greysitter who sits for most of the greys in town in her home. The last time I went to pick her up the sitter told me that a firetruck with sirens went by and all the other dogs started rooing... except for Arrisa who was barking. She thought it was so strange that she barked!

Edited by Sunset123