Boys Against Girls

This is strictly a curiosity question. I've never had an issue but watching my crew outside today got me thinking. Any incident I've had so far has been male vs. male and muzzling takes care of that. Do males ever attack females or the other way around?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I think the general consensus is that mixed genders have more harmonious relations. However, I think it depends entirely on the dogs involved and the situation.

If you're talking out and out fighting, it might be more male vs male or female vs female, as they would find the same things worth fighing over. But just playtime snarking in the yard or liviing room, I don't think gender matters.

FWIW, mine will play bite either way. We've never had a serious incident otherwise.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Guest avadogner

Our senior girl Ava is very alpha and space sensitive. A few years ago, we attempted to foster in hopes to adopt a lovely white with blue spots girl we named Zelda Fetchgerald. Ava (Ava Dogner) was territorial and indifferent from day one. I had was recovering from my 6th kidney surgery and pretty sick. Ava has always been my bed buddy when I am sick and has even learned to predict when tumors rupture, fainting episodes etc. I'm sure I give off stress pheramones when at my worst. Well Zelda tried to join us in bed and let's just say Ava flipped out and it was "game on" from there. We had to return Zelda because we were all miserable. Two weeks ago, Augustine Doggiestine "Augie" a 87lb beta male came home and they are BFFs. She tells him to jump and he says "how high mam". She is only 54 lbs so it's funny to see her boss him. He is so taken with her he does everything just like her including urinating which ends up him peeing all over his front legs. I feel like the creep in Silence of the Lambs saying "He pees like a boy or he gets the hose". Now that its cooled off here, we are using bath wipes. For us getting the opposite sex and personality has worked out great. That's only one experience though.

Over here in England where the racing dogs are kept kennelled in pairs, it's always a boy/girl pairing, because it's a whole lot less likely that a male will attack a female or vice versa. However, my Suze came to me with a scarred face and abdomen because they tried to pair her with a male who just didn't like her. It less than a minute he'd bitten her face and attempted to disembowel her.

Overall, I believe that the most difficult pairings are two females - at least, when we're talking about neutered dogs. After that, two males. But it depends a LOT on the personalities concerned.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I've never seen any incidents outside. However, in the 2 times over 14 years blood has been shed inside, it was when a female tried to take something from a male (space; treat) and the male lunged at and bit her: "I'll teach you not to try to steal my chewy again." Not really a fight, because the females didn't retaliate. I've never seen the males here try to take something from a female. Among the dogs, anyway. Can't say the same about the humans. B)

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Greyglo

I had 16 years of nothing but females and only female fosters. No one ever tried to eat each other. :dunno My little man, Che', is a gentleman and a mush with the girls. :wub:

Over here in England where the racing dogs are kept kennelled in pairs, it's always a boy/girl pairing, because it's a whole lot less likely that a male will attack a female or vice versa. However, my Suze came to me with a scarred face and abdomen because they tried to pair her with a male who just didn't like her. It less than a minute he'd bitten her face and attempted to disembowel her.

Overall, I believe that the most difficult pairings are two females - at least, when we're talking about neutered dogs. After that, two males. But it depends a LOT on the personalities concerned.

It is usually girl/boy pairings but a local trainer i know with a small kennel of 15 dogs, prefers to keep female racers so most of his are paired up girl/girl and aren't muzzled, the grumpy ones got single accommodation as they didn't like sharing with the 2 boys that were in either.