Excited For My First Grey In Tx

Guest knowimagination

Guest knowimagination

Hello all, I just joined this forum because I am nearly to a point in life where I can adopt my first greyhound. I am 25 and married and we have a staffordshire bull terrier currently in our little apartment and I really want a greyhound, but we are probably going to wait until we get our first house before we do.

I have always loved greyhounds and I grew up in Houston so I made it to gulf greyhound park every once in a while to watch them race. The thing I love about them is that they are much like myself in the fact that they are fit looking couch potatoes that love to expend lots of energy in short bursts. I have already fallen in love with a girl named olga that I found at a grey placement place near me, but I just feel like we should wait for the house.

So I was grateful to find such a nice forum to learn more about them before I eventually adopt one.

Thanks for reading,

Kyle

Oh and here is a picture of Roxy my staffie

83d1e163.jpg

:welcome

Welcome to GT. I really enjoy this site.

Just to let you know, you don't have to have a house to have a greyhound. I adopted my guy when I lived in an efficiency apartment of about 250 sq ft. He fit just fine! We took lots of walks and went to off leash dog parks almost every day. they make great apartment dogs because they're so quiet and lazy er, such couch potatoes.

Enjoy this site and enjoy your dog when you finally get him/her/them!

Rebecca and Manny

Welcome from Plano :wave Where in DFW are you? We have several DFW greyhound peeps on here :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Welcome from someone else who's in the DFW metroplex. There are a few of us here. :colgate If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm with Greyhounds Unlimited but there are two other groups that operate in the metroplex and they are all good. I stay neutral whenever I can here on GT. Good luck with your decision. I waited until I got a house, too, but I've since seen greyhounds in friends' apartments and condos and they do fine there. Just something to keep in mind if you start getting impatient for that 'grey fix".

Speaking of greyhound fixes, if you really do want to wait to adopt, but want to get a better feel for the breed, go out to the meet and greets the groups have - they are always posted on their websites - or consider volunteering with a group. Having a greyhound isn't a pre-requisite to volunteering. And the groups always need helping hands with something.

Welcome, again, and good luck!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

WELCOME TO GREYTALK KYLE! :confetti

Check out all the different forums here. So much info. Lots of wonderful pictures and stories. We tend to get to know each other through the greys and we share the good, the bad, the ugly, and the sad. We offer ideas, encouragement, support and sympathy, too often sharing the grief of a loss. Not at all unusual to find ones-self repeatedly checking back in to follow a thread!

I came here first for the laughs when I was in a very deep valley of my life and had no grey in my home, though I worked on a greyhound farm at the time. Learned lots and laughed lots. Later the folks here shared my grief when I did suddenly lose my first grey. Blood family may think me nuts, but the family here understands the bonds we develop with our greys.

Looking forward to your journey. Please share it with us. When the time is right, the magic will happen and your life will change forever with a grey in your home.

sue

Guest knowimagination

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone it is nice to find a community of people who understand what its like to have such a close relationship with their dog counterparts :)

For those in the area I live pretty far south right now down near waxahachie. I would love to move somewhere near ft worth, but my wife has a teaching job down here so for now I am stuck.. haha

Welcome from someone else who's in the DFW metroplex. There are a few of us here. :colgate If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm with Greyhounds Unlimited but there are two other groups that operate in the metroplex and they are all good. I stay neutral whenever I can here on GT. Good luck with your decision. I waited until I got a house, too, but I've since seen greyhounds in friends' apartments and condos and they do fine there. Just something to keep in mind if you start getting impatient for that 'grey fix".

Speaking of greyhound fixes, if you really do want to wait to adopt, but want to get a better feel for the breed, go out to the meet and greets the groups have - they are always posted on their websites - or consider volunteering with a group. Having a greyhound isn't a pre-requisite to volunteering. And the groups always need helping hands with something.

Olga the grey I mentioned, I found her on greyhounds unlimited website! I was thinking about stopping by greyfest this weekend, but wasn't sure if I needed to register or what so I may just wait and go to one of the meet and greets some time.

Guest knowimagination

Welcome from the north! And I love Roxie! -- I just want to give raspberries to her little tummy!

We do... she hates it :P

sometimes her belly looks pretty big like when she is sleeping on momma

ad803cc9.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone it is nice to find a community of people who understand what its like to have such a close relationship with their dog counterparts :)

For those in the area I live pretty far south right now down near waxahachie. I would love to move somewhere near ft worth, but my wife has a teaching job down here so for now I am stuck.. haha

Olga the grey I mentioned, I found her on greyhounds unlimited website! I was thinking about stopping by greyfest this weekend, but wasn't sure if I needed to register or what so I may just wait and go to one of the meet and greets some time.

I will be at Greyfest and so will Kate (mangosmom). You should definately come :) Just email Susan Lemon on the website and tell her you are interested in Olga and want to come and visit. Who knows, she may even be there :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

She may indeed be there. I don't know who's where right now, so I don't know which fosters will be out tomorrow. But we will have fosters there, for sure.

We would love to have you and your wife join us, Kyle. Please do email Susan Lemon about late registration. It's not too late. And then ask for me - Kate - when you get there and I'll introduce you to some folks.

Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest knowimagination

She may indeed be there. I don't know who's where right now, so I don't know which fosters will be out tomorrow. But we will have fosters there, for sure.

We would love to have you and your wife join us, Kyle. Please do email Susan Lemon about late registration. It's not too late. And then ask for me - Kate - when you get there and I'll introduce you to some folks.

Thanks I will do that and hopefully my wife and I can make it tomorrow!

Your little one is adorable! Welcome from RI!!! And as someone else said, they don't need a lot of space, so if you have found your girl, it might be worth thinking about. The adoption group would know work with you to determine if she would be OK in your current residence. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hey, Kyle, I was just talking to Susan so I know you've talked to her already and are planning on coming out. The event itself is our big picnic, with food and drink and greyhound merchandise. If you want to just check out the available dogs there, let the people at the registration desk know that you talked to Susan and me. Lunch is $12 per person if you want to join in while you're there. Looking forward to meeting you and your wife. You can bring Roxy along, too, if you want!

Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest knowimagination

Hey, Kyle, I was just talking to Susan so I know you've talked to her already and are planning on coming out. The event itself is our big picnic, with food and drink and greyhound merchandise. If you want to just check out the available dogs there, let the people at the registration desk know that you talked to Susan and me. Lunch is $12 per person if you want to join in while you're there. Looking forward to meeting you and your wife. You can bring Roxy along, too, if you want!

Thanks so much Kate after talking with my wife we probably wont be able to stay for the whole event so we may take up the offer of just stopping by. Thanks again.

Guest greytloves

Love little Roxy! She is adorable! What a cutie sleeping on her mom.

Good luck in your adventure. Unfortunately I can't make Greyfest this year, but it is a blast! You will certainly find lots of hounds and people willing to talk to you about having a grey!

Guest knowimagination

Well I am super glad my wife and I were able to stop by greyfest today now she is as in love with greys as me! we just have to try and work out stuff with our apartments (crossing our fingers for no separate pet deposit) and make sure everything is in order then file the adoption application. :offwall:eek

Welcome Kyle!! I live about 20 miles SW of Fort Worth. My assistance dog trainer lives in Waxahachie - it's not that bad a drive - straight down 67. You will find this site is wonderful - lots of greyt people and lots of info and humour!

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Kyle, it was great to meet you and your wife at Greyfest! I hope you checked everything out and enjoyed your time there. Please don't hesitate to ping me through GT if you have any questions at all.

Greyhounds Unlimited

Roxie is a DOLL!! There are several Staffies on GT who are favorites!

Welcome from Maryland - and I hope you went to the event last weekend - Are you hooked yet? :lol

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge