Melatonin For Situational Axiety?

Max is bothered a bit by small dogs, and especially small dogs that bark. Unfortunately his primary babysitter has acquired a dachshund who is pretty barky, and he gets anxious around her. He will settle down after a few days, but he is staying with them twice in November while we are away and I was wondering if Melatonin would help not feel so anxious around her. He is not at all aggressive - he really is scared of her! Kind of acts the way he does with thunderstorms - gets a bit shaky and panting. As he gets older (he is 12 and a half), he tends to fret a bit more than he used to (I love my little old man :blush ) Otherwise they are perfect babysitters - they have looked after him for years, they have another grey girlie and they adore him!

Hoping someone can share with me how melatonin works - how much to give - do you have to give it for a while in advance, like clomicalm,or does it work immediately? Does it have any negative side effects? I know I've taken it to help me sleep; does it make them tired? Can I give him the same stuff I use?

Any advice and experience is most appreciated!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

My big boy HATES little barky dogs,,, he backs away then turns to leave. I have been using Meletonin,,, human grade,,, 3mgs, for months to see if it helps him grow some hair on his poor bald butt,,,, I have not noticed it makeing him sleepy,,,, :unsure though it's hard to tell, :unsure he is really laid back

I don't know about barky dogs, but, we give Paul a melatonin about 1/2 hour before a car ride and he seems to settle down. Otherwise, he stands for the entire ride, no matter how long, and pants a lot.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Melatonin can be irritating to a stomach if it is already irritated. Don't know about your situation, but you might watch for that.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Give it with food and he should be fine. It helps mine around here during thunder storms.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've tried giving Jade melatonin for thunderstorms. I didn't notice that much of a difference. It seems more of a little bit of this and a little bit of that will shave a little bit off the terror. (she also has a thundercape). She is severely thunderphobic, so the change may be too minor to notice.

But if he has no tummy troubles, it can't hurt.

Any suggestions on brand? We've been toying with the idea of melatonin for Oliver too for awhile. Thanks for starting this thread!

Well, I have some human stuff I use here; some health store brand, 3 mg. I'm going to give it a try tonight and see how it goes. We're looking after another grey this weekend, and that always makes him a bit antsy at first too (I told you, he has become a fretter in his old age!) see if it helps settle him...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I have a huge bottle I bought in Costco. It is Schiff brand. I think it was $5.99. Occasionally, I take one and sometimes my grandson does. He is on medication for ADHD.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Lisa I've always bought the store brand at WalMart. I've used it on different dogs for different reasons with reasonably good response. I hope this works for my buddy Max.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.