Stroke In 4 Year Old Greyhound

Guest anfordd

Guest anfordd

hello, about a month and a half go my 4 year old baby named Sam had a very minor stroke, and there were no precurser symptons. The day after he started to walk like he was stoned and his head was tilting to one side. Immediately he was taken to the hospital and then transdered to the a neurological hospital in Irvine, CA. They saved him.Sam is literally the air that i breath. After many MRIs and other neurological studies he was able to come home. He walks with a limp and is a little slow, but eats and seems happy.

If anyone has any su ggestions please let me know at andread1969@aol.com.

Thanks everyone who loves greyhounds.

hello, about a month and a half go my 4 year old baby named Sam had a very minor stroke, and there were no precurser symptons. The day after he started to walk like he was stoned and his head was tilting to one side. Immediately he was taken to the hospital and then transdered to the a neurological hospital in Irvine, CA. They saved him.Sam is literally the air that i breath. After many MRIs and other neurological studies he was able to come home. He walks with a limp and is a little slow, but eats and seems happy.

How horrible for you both! I'm so glad that they saved him - I know how it is to be so worried about your 'baby'.

It could be that there is no particular reason for the stroke (maybe a genetic weakness), but there are things which can make it more likely - like high blood pressure, some infections/parasites, and the stuff they give you for 'spay incontinence' in female greys, 'propanol' I think it is. I know we were given some once for our older girl and after reading about it, I decided not to give it to her. However, as with all medicines, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.

It sounds as if Sam was in very good hands. What did they say about the cause and likelihood of it happening again? Fingers crossed that it doesn't!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Might want to contact Dr Couto at Ohio State University. He has performed extensive research on strokes in GH's. I do know that he uses aspirin as the primary medication for treatment.

Yes I heard him talk about it in his address at the Bluegrass Festival. It is AMAZINGLY effective- kind of like a miracle cure! Definietly worth pursuing. It may prevent a recurrence. Do check w/ Dr. Couto.

Yep. Dr. Couto for sure. :nod

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Might want to contact Dr Couto at Ohio State University. He has performed extensive research on strokes in GH's. I do know that he uses aspirin as the primary medication for treatment.

Yes I heard him talk about it in his address at the Bluegrass Festival. It is AMAZINGLY effective- kind of like a miracle cure! Definietly worth pursuing. It may prevent a recurrence. Do check w/ Dr. Couto.

Third vote for Dr. Couto.

Koda had a something similar to a stroke when she was 4 or 5 yrs old...it was called Fibrocartilaginous Embolism (FCE). It is like a stroke in the spine and where it blocks is the point of where the damage will occur. For her it lodged around her neck causing her to have instant...and I mean INSTANT (no warning whatsoever) paralysis of her left limbs. FCE does hit around 4-6yrs old as well. My mode of treatment was more holistic in which she had acupuncture every 2-3 days for about a month. And I also had her on natural joint supplements and I gave her Metacam to help her aching muscles as she tried to hold her body up while using only the right side of her body. She would show HUGE signs of improvement after each acupuncture treatment...she would even take a good 3-4 normal steps before collapsing and each time it would increase by a step or 2. Within 2-3 months she was virtually 100% recovered (with most recovery occurring in the first few weeks). I can't recommend acupuncture enough. I would also recommend water treatment if you have a facility nearby that you can use. I unfortunately didn't have one nearby but have heard about amazing recoveries via water (ie. water treadmill, etc). Best of luck!

Guest nikkikaye

i went thru stroke with my Jasmine when she was 7ish. Pls look up my thread. use the search word "nikkikaye" and you'll see a post called "possible stroke/FCE..." Thats the one. It is full of periodic updates and great advice from peeps with stroke experience. Jas was paralyzed for a few days and I thought she was a goner. She came back slowly- every day better and better- every week, then every month. It took about 6 mos- 1 yr for her to fully recover. They do recover. Just be active and get him moving- that was one thing everyone told me- including the neurologist. That is not to say physically pushing him- but mentally stimulating. It works. Sadly, Jasmine died of Osteo on August 11th at age 10. But she lived a full 2.5 yrs after the stroke and we lived every day like it was her last. I miss her like crazy, but her stroke changed us- for the better- and I am so glad we lived the way we did the last couple years. We had a ball!

I had a dog who had a stroke. She fully recovered with the help of acupuncture.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jskelton

My girl, Cher, 7 yrs old, had a pretty serious stroke in her right cerebellum almost 4 weeks ago. We determined that she has idiopathic hypertension. We did an MRI, ultrasound on heart and adrenal gland and lab tests to rule out tumors and diseases causing the hypertension.

It took frequent home visits from the vet to determine the right dosage of amlodopine to control her hypertension. The vet was kind enough to come to the house to take her blood pressure where she is most comfortable and relaxed.

I intend to get my own bp monitor with an infant cuff, as suggested by another on greytalk, so that I can check on my own.