What Happened

Guest kar

Last nite scotch got up around 3:00 am. He would not lie back down so I asked him if he wanted to go out. It seemed like he did, however, when we got to the back stairs he acted as if he had never seen stairs before and was afraid to go down them. I finally coaxed him down he walked around the backyard for a long time, finally went and when I tried to get him back in he would not go up the stairs. I then got a leash, opened the gate and tried to get him up the front stairs. Needless to say he did not want to do that either - I had to prod him up the stairs. He finally laid down inside and went to sleep. This morning he was fine went down the stairs as usual. Has anyone ever had this behavior before?

Yup, my boy had done this a few times. It's almost like he's sleep walking. He'll get up from a sound sleep, wander about the bedroom and hesitate the stairs. He'll also appear to be sight impaired. It doesn't last long and it's only happened 3 times within the last year. It doesn't appear to be a sezuire but, I am marking the frequency of these eventss on the calender to document them for a possible vet visit in the future. Oh, it only happens at night.

Yes this happened once before at night in July around fireworks time. I thought it might have been the fireworks - but I guess not. Did not happen again until now. it is the strangest thing.

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

My senior girl Ava (10y young) has done this several times. We have just 5 steps going up to the bedroom area and every once in a while she acts like she doesn't know how to climb them. It always happens at night so agree with the sleep walking part Greypup mentioned. My girl Ava sleeps with her eyes open and she sometimes runs in her sleep. The strange stair behavior my be just in the same category. My DH talks and walks in his sleep so who's to say dogs can't do it to? If any other behavior starts, have your vet check your baby out.

-ava and augie's mum