Larry Need Every Good Thought You Can Spare

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

I can't believe I'm posting this, and I don't want to be posting this......but I feel like my head is about to explode.

I was going to type out a whole long story, but here's the Cliff Notes version:

Larry fell last night after we went to bed. I heard what sounded like a puppy whimpering. I got up and found Larry; his hind end was wedged between a recliner and an end table. He was up on his front legs, but he couldn't get his back end up and out. We got him free and on his feet, and he walked around a bit. He was stressed, but he settled down pretty quickly. I stayed up with him for a while to make sure he was resting comfortably. Once I was sure he was, I went to bed, and he was quiet the rest of the night.

Today, he can't get up. Once he's up, he can walk, but he's favoring his left hind leg.

The vet has been seen, and he's being treated for pulled muscle at this point. We didn't xray, and I'm not going to get into the reasoning behind this. Suffice to say, careful thought and deliberation went into the decision, it was a joint decision made by the vet and me, and Larry's well-being was the most important consideration in the decision.

He's in obvious pain and distress this afternoon, but I do think the medicine is starting to kick in. I see him relaxing a bit as I type this.

Larry is an old boy, 12.5. His health is much better today than when he arrived here six months ago, but he's not the strong, healthy boy Wilbur was. I try to be a strong, positive person, and I am for the most part. But my experience with Wilbur's final weeks changed me. Except for a time or two, I stayed upbeat, and I just knew he was going to get well. I'm a frazzled mess today, and I can't stop crying. I know a pulled muscle can heal, but I also know Larry---he's a 12.5 year old arthritic greyhound with hind end weakness.

Am I giving up on him? Absolutely not! But I don't want this boy to suffer. He's much too sweet, and he's been through too much trauma in the last year.

So please.....good thoughts, prayers, whatever you have to spare.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Hey there! I am glad the Deramaxx is kicking in a bit, and helping.

You know, of course, that the fall could have aggrevated that pulled muscle/injury to the rear leg, too.

If it is just an aggrevation to the pulled muscle, the Deramaxx should help. Of course, if you see him getting worse, or you think he is suffering, a look-see from the vet is a good idea.

Keeping you and Larry in our thoughts and prayers! The phone is on my hip, or near my bed, 24/7! Many hugs coming your way from me and The Five! Dee

Many prayers to Larry for his body pain and to you for your heart pain. We will keep all paws crossed here that it is just a temporary issue.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sending all the good thoughts and white healing light we can. Hugs to both you and Larry!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am so sorry to see that Larry has an injury and I can also see how terribly stressful this is for you. Fiona has a tendency to pull the muscle in one leg and it can be incredibly painful for her and to watch. The healing sometimes takes about two weeks with lots of rest and leash walking only to go outside. Metacam has helped her for the first few days, then a painkiller (such as Tramadol or Deramaxx).

All my hopes and prayers will be with you and Larry that he has a smooth and quick recovery. He is a very special boy.

Edited because I can't spell!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Many good thoughts and prayers for your handsome boy.

Just as a side note, it really bothers me when people feel the need to explain the decisions they have made.

You made the decisions you did out of nothing but pure love for him. That said, you can't go wrong

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Houndie

I am SO sorry you and Larry are having to go through this. It has certainly been a rough week for both of you. There's a good chance Larry did pull a muscle during the cat attack, and it is just aggravated now. Whatever is going on, I KNOW you have Larry's best interests at heart, and are doing what is best for Larry. For lots of reasons, Larry has tugged at many of our hearts, and we all love him, too. There is no doubt in my mind that you are giving Larry all he could hope for, and more, in terms of a a wonderful home, great care, and all the love he can handle. We're sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Larry and you.

Guest Energy11

I am so sorry to see that Larry has an injury and I can also see how terribly stressful this is for you. Fiona has a tendency to pull the muscle in one leg and it can be incredibly painful for her and to watch. The healing sometimes takes about two weeks with lots of rest and leash walking only to go outside. Metacam has helped her for the first few days, then a painkiller (such as Tramadol or Deramaxx).

All my hopes and prayers will be with you and Larry that he has a smooth and quick recovery. He is a very special boy.

Edited because I can't spell!

I hadn't thought of the Metacam (same family as the Deramaxx and Rimadyl), Some vets carry the injectable version of this, which might be a huge help to Larry as well ... just a thought if you decide to take him into see the vet later on or tomorrow . Sending more love, many hugs and prayers!

Sending good thoughts and prayers. I hope the pain meds make him feel a lot better.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!My heart stopped when I saw the topic title. MANY prayers going up fast and furious for precious Larry. Getting my Mom in on it too. The prayers of a righteous man availeth much-- it says that in the Bible- and Larry has MANY righteous people praying for him. I am going to think positive! I am going to think that it is all logical. He was OK right afterwards and then there was inflammation building until AM- of course/ swelling/pain- and then the resulting issues. Now that the medication is getting rid of the inflammation he will start getting better. That's what I'm gona believe. Please give him another kiss from his KY friends and tell him we are praying for his rapid recovery and love him more than he knows! Hang in there. God bless you.

Edited by racindog

Guest Adrianne

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

The power of GT is awesome! I finally had to shower today; I couldn't put it off any longer. When I got out, Larry was in a completely different spot on the other side of the living room. YAY!!!! He got up by himself!!!!!

This worried mom is breathing a huge sigh of relief and doing a happy dance!

I believe it will take a while to heal, but I think the Deramaxx is doing what it's supposed to be doing!!!

Adrianne :grouphug

As some have said, Larry may have injured himself during the cat attack and it is showing up more prounounced now. Tramadol and Deramaxx are good drugs. Give Larry (and yourself) some time for the medication to do its work; you will know when it is or it isn't, and work from there. With an arthritic senior, it could take some time for Larry to feel comfy and to use that limb normally as he had been. My heart is breaking for how scared you must be, I'm so sorry. We are here for you, 24/7.

edited b/c I just saw your WONDERFUL updated post! Yay Larry!!!

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We have followed Larry since the original post about him needing a home. We will be thinking about you and Larry, and wish him a speedy recovery from his muscle pull. Give that boy an extra cookie from his pal Rocket, in Illinois.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yay, Larry! :clap

Hoping and praying that you keep getting better, sweetheart. :heart

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Glad to see that Larry seems to be feeling a little better. I hope he has a nice relaxing evening and you all can get some rest.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Adrianne, I'm crying here reading about that dear sweet boy, whom we have all come to love so much. My DH and I will be sending many prayers for him. I really think he's going to be OK. It's just going to take him a little longer for the soreness to go away from his injury.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you all from Wilkes Barre, PA.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg