Bed Agression

Guest Weenieal

Guest Weenieal

I have had my gray, Roof for 2-1/2 years. Recently he has been very aggressive with anyone (other than me) approaching him while he is on his bed. He snaps and snarls and although he has not bitten anyone, he has clamped his mouth on hands enough to bruise. He is a wonderfully social doggie other than when he is on his bed. I am working on getting my friends to approach him while I am with them so that I can attempt to correct his behavior -- both by grasping his muzzle and talling him in a very low voice, no. I would love some advice from those more savvy than I. I have taken him to the Vet, and ruled out any physical causes. Any help would be most appreciated.

Let sleeping dogs lie. No reason anybody needs to pet him/approach him while he's on his bed.

Exception: He's injured and won't get up, and you have to examine, treat, etc. In that case, basket muzzle on and do what you need to do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If this is behavioral and not a Whiggy thyroid causing aggression, grabbing his muzzle will probably do nothing. Any of my girls growl unnecessarily (they are allowed to growl when needed) they are evicted from the room. THEY have to leave the room on their own because I told them too. I refuse to lead them out. I point and body block them out the first few times and they catch on quick. :) If he's guarding the bed... then he looses the bed. This being said I would not touch him while he is on his dog bed. You give him that respect and he should give you enough respect to not growl at you when you walk by. A squirt bottle might help too when he growls.

Or you can also have strangers toss treats to him to get him to pair strangers coming up to his bed as a good thing. There are bunches of ways to fix this you just have to pick one and try it.

Also no matter what I would start NILF (nothing in life is free) he has to work on getting his meals, cookies, not allowed to walk through the door in front of you, etc.

------

Jessica

Does it happen from a deep sleep - or is he awake when they approach and doesn't like them coming? If it is coming from out of a deep sleep, it could be thyroid or a sleep disorder.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Weenieal

Does it happen from a deep sleep - or is he awake when they approach and doesn't like them coming? If it is coming from out of a deep sleep, it could be thyroid or a sleep disorder.

He is not asleep -- I'm fairly certain this is a territorial issue -- and I had him checked by his Vet -- not thyroid issue. He is awake and alert, alas.

Guest mbfilby

Already said, let the dog alone on his bed. Saying that, we would not allow this behavior in our home, (to humans or other dogs) so a space greedy growl gets the offender evicted from the space. It does not take long.

Guest Weenieal

Has he always been this way or is this a new behavior?

He's always been a little "snarky" - but it is getting more prevalent. I appreciate all the recommendations -- I'm going to try the suggested banishment if he acts up -- I know this can be handled -- thanks all.