Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul

Guest Karen

I ran into this brand at my local feed store the other day, and this food looked decent as far as the ingredients go compared to a lot of other brands. It lists two forms of meat first, and then a meal version of the first meat (generally this is chicken, followed by turkey). My dogs, luckily, do not have poultry allergies. Even Taste of The Wild only boasts one meat and one (or two) meal(s). This food is a Diamond product, which has been recalled in the past for various reasons, but I haven't seen anything in the recall lists that were life-threatening.

As of now I'm feeding my dogs Blue Buffalo, which is fine, but CSFTPLS is cheaper, is available in larger quantities, and has a better ingredient list. Has anyone used this brand and had any adverse reactions?

Here are comparable ingredient lists:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, turkey meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, natural chicken flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried chicory root, chondroitin sulfate, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Taste of the Wild High Sierra

Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, potato protein, roasted lamb, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E) dried chicory root, taurine, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Taste of the Wild High Prairie

Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I fed it for a while -- maybe 6 or 8 months and didn't have any problems. As far as strict label reading I think it is the best food for the price out there, but there may be some Diamond Healthy Naturals that are close. I quit feeding it as a couple of years ago it got so wildly popular here that they couldn't keep it in stock at Canine Commissary.

If it matters both Chicken Soup and TOTW are made by Diamond.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yeah, that's what I thought of it too. The ingredient list looked great, but it was the price that pulled me in. I can buy a 35lb bag of Chicken Soup for $40.99 at the feed store, or a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo for $47.99 at Petsmart. No contest.

Thanks for your input. Glad to hear that it worked for your dogs!

I've been feeding Chicken Soup to my pups for a few years now. Their coats improved when I switched them over from the brand I had used before and they've always been happy to eat it. Definitely a great food, especially for the price!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest Energy11

I use it too, and we love it! I mix the Chicken Soup lite and the senior together. It helps keep the excess weight off mine, mixing the lite. I get it through Petflow.com, which delivers it to your DOOR, and the prices are pretty competitive to stores. ... AND, I can't get it locally here :-))

Good Luck!

Thanks, everyone! I had no idea this was a common brand, since it isn't something that is carried by the big box companies. Since no one has anything negative to say about it, I'm going to switch over as soon as my Blue Buffalo supply dwindles. Luckily, my local feed store is only a couple blocks away!

Guest Energy11

Thanks, everyone! I had no idea this was a common brand, since it isn't something that is carried by the big box companies. Since no one has anything negative to say about it, I'm going to switch over as soon as my Blue Buffalo supply dwindles. Luckily, my local feed store is only a couple blocks away!

Hi again! First of all, I see you are in Largo! I used to live in that area, and worked for Pinellas County EMS as a paramedic! Small world, for sure! I even spent some time working at Largo Medical Center in it's ICU! :-)

I am just seeing that you are feeding Blue Buffalo now. SOME of it's brands have been recalled: See link. I just wanted to be sure you aren't feeding any of the recalled versions. http://hubpages.com/hub/Blue_Buffalo_Dog_Food_Recall_Information

Good Luck!

Hi again! First of all, I see you are in Largo! I used to live in that area, and worked for Pinellas County EMS as a paramedic! Small world, for sure! I even spent some time working at Largo Medical Center in it's ICU! :-)

I am just seeing that you are feeding Blue Buffalo now. SOME of it's brands have been recalled: See link. I just wanted to be sure you aren't feeding any of the recalled versions. http://hubpages.com/hub/Blue_Buffalo_Dog_Food_Recall_Information

Good Luck!

Small world, indeed! I'm in the Central Park area, so you were right in my hometown! I've heard about the recall, but that had nothing to do with my decision to switch food brands. Blue Buffalo is simply too expensive for the quality of food. There are many better options, and I think I may have found one, both nutritionally and economically.

I do feed my dogs Blue Buffalo Large Breed, however, none of my specific "best by" dates were on the recalled list. I haven't seen any adverse reaction in my pack either, so I'm sure we're in the clear.

I just started feeding the Chicken Soup brand to my cat, Irwin! He loves their dry food. I used to use Precise cat food, which is good quality - but he was losing interest. He loves this stuff. Of course, I do also feed him so wet food now, so that may be part of his renewed interest - but he really is eating this dry food with some vigor!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I buy it too. I made the switch when Canidae changed their formula. Two dogs have eaten it and they have never had any problems with it. I also likr it because it's reasonable priced.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

I just started feeding the Chicken Soup brand to my cat, Irwin! He loves their dry food. I used to use Precise cat food, which is good quality - but he was losing interest. He loves this stuff. Of course, I do also feed him so wet food now, so that may be part of his renewed interest - but he really is eating this dry food with some vigor!

LOL, cats and wet food.

I care for my aunt's cats when she's out of town. I can't get them to eat any of their kibble when she's away, they are so attached. However, I pull out a can of wet food and suddenly I'm their new best friend! I learned my lesson and started bringing a bag of them with me everytime I kittysit.

LOL, cats and wet food.

I care for my aunt's cats when she's out of town. I can't get them to eat any of their kibble when she's away, they are so attached. However, I pull out a can of wet food and suddenly I'm their new best friend! I learned my lesson and started bringing a bag of them with me everytime I kittysit.

LOL!!! Yeah, I was always against it....bad for teeth, etc. But after I got these latest two greys, the poor boy has pretty much banished himself to the basement....so to lure him out, I resorted to the wet food. It seems like it's more important to keep him engaged with the family than to worry about his teeth.....I know I will kick myself someday when he needs a dental himself!!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

LOL, cats and wet food.

LOL!!! Yeah, I was always against it....bad for teeth, etc. But after I got these latest two greys, the poor boy has pretty much banished himself to the basement....so to lure him out, I resorted to the wet food. It seems like it's more important to keep him engaged with the family than to worry about his teeth.....I know I will kick myself someday when he needs a dental himself!!

Aww! Greyhounds have such gnarly teeth, it's likely you will have that problem anyway. It's best to let him have his cake while he can still eat it, amiright?

On a side note, isn't it funny how the stinkiest, nastiest, unidentifiable-mush food is always the most popular? I mean, I feed my dogs green tripe on occasion, and it actually makes me retch from the smell. My dogs, however, are so enthralled by the scent that they see who can knock the can from my hand before I make it to the bowls. They win if it ends up all over the floor (which has only happened once, thank goodness!). It's the best game ever, just ask them!

LOL, cats and wet food.

Aww! Greyhounds have such gnarly teeth, it's likely you will have that problem anyway. It's best to let him have his cake while he can still eat it, amiright?

Actually it is the cat's teeth I was talking about - because yes, you are absolutely right, no matter what I do with the greys, I'm going to be battling teeth!!:blush

Guest Profgumby

Well, I just bought some to transition our girls over to it. It seems to be well liked by the local shop and 2 of their people feed it to their dogs. Also it gets a 4 star rating on this site -

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/chicken-soup-dog-lovers-soul-dry/

And the price is really nice too!! Lets hope this works for our girls and I get the pleasure of picking up dog poop piles, not poop soup!

It has come to this, hoping for piles of dog poop in the yard......Jeez!

Actually it is the cat's teeth I was talking about - because yes, you are absolutely right, no matter what I do with the greys, I'm going to be battling teeth!!:blush

Ahh, right. I lost track of who we were talking about somewhere in the middle!

Well, I just bought some to transition our girls over to it. It seems to be well liked by the local shop and 2 of their people feed it to their dogs. Also it gets a 4 star rating on this site -

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/chicken-soup-dog-lovers-soul-dry/

And the price is really nice too!! Lets hope this works for our girls and I get the pleasure of picking up dog poop piles, not poop soup!

It has come to this, hoping for piles of dog poop in the yard......Jeez!

Here, here!

Edited by Karen

Guest Profgumby

Here is an update on the Chicken Soup food so far -

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/262706-wellness-foods/

So far, so good...

Good to hear! This bodes well when I switch my kids. I still have far too much of the Blue Buffalo left over to start mixing, but I've heard too many good things about CS4PLS not to try it.

My biggest grip with the food is the name. Shouldn't it be "Chicken Soup for your Dogs Soul"? And with the name "Chicken Soup For The Dog lovers Soul" I picture a neck-bearded, Birkenstock wearing, ovulating, tree hugger dude strumming his six string acoustic guitar, whilst, and at the same time, singing love songs to Mother Earth....

My biggest grip with the food is the name. Shouldn't it be "Chicken Soup for your Dogs Soul"? And with the name "Chicken Soup For The Dog lovers Soul" I picture a neck-bearded, Birkenstock wearing, ovulating, tree hugger dude

:lol :lol If you're picturing a tree hugging *ovulating* dude...Aren't ovulating and dude mutually exclusive???? :dunno

Anywho -- About 10 years ago thare was (and still is after many splinters) a very successful book series called "Chicken Soup For The XXXXX soul" was a big hit. Here is the link --

http://www.chickensoup.com/

http://www.chickenso...lt_dog_formula/

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My biggest grip with the food is the name. Shouldn't it be "Chicken Soup for your Dogs Soul"? And with the name "Chicken Soup For The Dog lovers Soul" I picture a neck-bearded, Birkenstock wearing, ovulating, tree hugger dude

:lol :lol If you're picturing a tree hugging *ovulating* dude...Aren't ovulating and dude mutually exclusive???? :dunno

Anywho -- About 10 years ago thare was (and still is after many splinters) a very successful book series called "Chicken Soup For The XXXXX soul" was a big hit. Here is the link --

http://www.chickensoup.com/

http://www.chickenso...lt_dog_formula/

LOL.

I remember seeing those books around, though was never interested in picking one up. Frankly, I could care less what it's called. If it had that kind of ingredient list as was called "Wallyworld's Grab Bag", I'd still buy it. Hell, I'm sure Walmart could get away with selling it even cheaper.

Guest Profgumby

Oh yea, I am familiar with the books. And when I first saw the dog food I thought it was just a way to cash on on the Chicken Soup name....shows what I knew then....

What I know now is much different and the girls thank me for it!

• 9 months later...
Guest Ledalia

I'm a bit late to join this discussion, but for anyone else checking in this is also what we feed our greyhound. The name does make it seem quite gimmicky, but it's actually a very nice food. We switched because it has an excellent ingredient list for such a low price. It's usually rated four or five stars depending on what pet food rating website you look at and it seems like every time we go to the pet store someone is always commenting on the high quality. Odin is currently eating the large breed formula and he loves it. Our four cats eat the kitty version and they chow it down!