Al E Powee

Guest KreweOfRoo

Guest KreweOfRoo

:::The following is my thank you's to everyone involved in bringing Powie to me:::

In August of 2007, I was sent an e-mail regarding a senior brood greyhound that was in need of a home. Enclosed in the e-mail was a picture and I knew that when I opened up the picture, that I was going to be in trouble...and I was, I fell in love with the sweet, loving, graying face that was staring back at me. The greyhound looking back at me was named Al E Powee and she was at the time, 11.5 years of age. Powie needed to find her forever home and loving family that would adopt a hound of her age. Stu knew I would gladly bring her home, for I love to educate people about the joys of adopting a Senior greyhound. I showed her picture and information to my husband, Jimmy, and he agreed, Al E Powee will come to live with us and our small "Krewe" of four, at the time.

Barbara informed me that Powie had some medical issues and was not in the best of health. I was informed that I may have six months or so with her. I didn't mind, I just wanted to get this sweet soul out of the system and into a home, my home, that would love her, pamper her and give her the life she had earned and deserved. Powie had 88 races in her career and the majority of her racing grade was "AA" and she had won 7 races in the "AA" standing, and managed to have the majority of her career in the "money" placements. Powie raced at Cloverleaf Greyhound Park and Mile High Greyhound Park, both located in Colorado. After her racing career, Powie transitioned into her second career, being a mother. Powie had two litters that totaled thirteen puppies. Nine of Powie's babies have followed in their mother's footsteps and were top racers with grade "AA" as well and were winners. The babies are now all retired as they have aged out.

Powie (I tweaked the spelling of her name over time and it stuck) needed to be "vetted" in Colorado before she could come to California. Powie needed to be spayed, have some fatty tumors removed and have some teeth pulled during her dental. Through the process of Powie's vetting, she came close to passing away twice, on the surgical table due to bleeding and clotting issues, but thankfully the amazing staff at the Vet clinic knew the quirks of greyhounds and were able to stabilize and save her. Barbara and Stu, along with the Board Members of GSGA had entered into a new frontier, they had never had the vet bills that Powie incurred over her Vetting period, but all were willing to give this amazing girl a chance to experience what a home was all about. Powie had a long recovery, ten weeks worth of rest before everyone involved felt that Powie was as stable as possible to transport her to California.

While recovering from the surgeries, Powie was staying with a foster family in Colorado. They had fallen in love with Powie during her stay and were very worried about placing Powie onto an airplane, after everything she had been through. They knew of her fragile state. I was just as worried myself. So much so, that I had conceded that maybe it was best for Powie to stay in Colorado, to live out the rest of her life. Stu rallied on my behalf and was assured from the Vet's and staff, that Powie should be just fine with the transport to California. So needless to say, I was thrilled to hear that Powie, would in fact be coming home to me, and that I would have 4 days before she would arrive.

On Sunday, October 28, 2007, I awoke like a small child does on Christmas morning. This was the day that Powie was going to board an airplane and fly out to California and live her life as it should have been after she had her last litter of puppies. Needless to say, I got the house prepared. I had bought a new pet bed for our new arrival, new bowl and a new martingale collar and leash. I was ready. Drove the two hours to San Francisco airport and found my way to the Frontier Airlines Cargo building and parked my car...then the nerves kicked in...what if Powie had problems while in transport? Was she okay? I wasn't able to get the answers I needed until I saw the luggage cart come rolling down the tarmac and into the cargo building. I waited impatiently for the Frontier employees to raise the curtain that was covering Powie's crate...FINALLY, there she was, she was alive and that was all I knew for a brief time frame. The paperwork and fees couldn't get paid fast enough for me, I just wanted to get my hands on her crate and bust open that crate door and get my hands on this amazing girl. The time had come, time to open her crate...I quickly slipped on her new collar and leash and coaxed her out of the crate. Powie seemed to keep coming out of the crate...I had never seen something like this before...I thought I had picked up a Great Dane! Powie is of "old school" breeding. An era when they bred the greyhounds big and long, so that they could have this amazing long stride while running. Unlike now, where most greyhounds are smaller and some almost the size of Whippets. There she was, my new amazing senior greyhound, looking no worse for wear, sporting a smile and accepting all the hugs and kisses that I was bestowing upon her. I think she knew right then and there that the life she knew before, was never going to be again.

We started the long journey home. Powie rode in the car and fell asleep like this is something she was so used to. The San Francisco traffic didn't excite her, it bored her, she yawned and that was it. Now was the start of her new life and all I was hoping for, is that she would accept the four greyhounds and three little dogs that were waiting for her in the house. Powie walked into our home and instantly knew that this was her home now. She did the customary greyhound greetings with all of the dogs, went out to go potty, drank some water and then proceeded to sniff her new environment before she would try out her new bed.

Powie needed a new bed. Every dog bed in the house was just not big enough for this big girl, so I custom ordered a beautiful bed from Canine Comforts and 3 weeks later, it arrived. I couldn't get that bed ripped out of its box and packaging fast enough. I finally laid out the new bed and Powie immediately stepped in, sniffed, spun around and then just dropped...giving a pleased groan as she settled in. The Queen loved her new "Throne"...and that is the status that the bed has kept.

Powie had a few medical rough spots that arose over time. At age twelve, Powie slipped on wet grass and pinched a nerve and hairline fractured her shoulder, but she recovered and bounced back. At age thirteen, Powie had to have a lower canine and twelve other teeth removed, (She always had bad teeth) she was now living with a grand total of 8 teeth in her mouth. Just two months before Powie turned fourteen, Powie had a huge issue to deal with, life threatening pancreatitis...amazingly, she recovered from that, but unfortunately, that is when we found out that Powie had acquired old age LARYNGEAL PARALYSIS (LP for short). Powie battled a brief episode of her larynx collapsing and she couldn't breathe, but we were able to get her through it.

On October 8, 2010, Powie had another bout of LP. I worked on her by doing CPR nasal breathing . After 10 minutes, she was breathing on her own and resting comfortably. The next 36 hours, Powie was enjoying life as usual, sleeping, running around the yard in her long, gangly-aged gait, she was happy. October 10, Powie was having another normal day, doing her thing...then it hit again, another bout of LP. Powie stopped breathing again, but this time we couldn't bring her back. We rushed her to the Vet's and made the horrid decision to let Powie go. Powie passed away...my Velvet Eared-powder butt-Momma, was gone.

It was a difficult thing to endure, but I know that she is pain free, happy and looking down on me. The "Krewe" also has figured out that she is not coming back...Not a one has even made an gesture to get into Powie's Throne. I see that they are in mourning as well. Powie was a Queen, but she was also the party police and ruled her home with an iron fist. The biggest thing I miss, besides my Powie, is her bickering with our Dachshund puppy, Breesi (Getting her was a whole other mess). Those two would bark at each other for nothing more than the pleasure of "bitching" (sorry for the terminology, but it is what it was). Breesi barking at Powie brought a gleam and a smile on Powie's face every day. The house is a lot quieter now.

Powie, you are missed and forever loved. Next week, your ashes come back home...you will be celebrated by all of us with a huge ROO!

I want to thank everyone who has sent kind and caring words, I really do appreciate it. This is why I love this group so much, we support each other.

Stu and Barbara, I can't thank you both enough, for allowing me the opportunity to love Powie and have her as a member of our family. I have cherished each and every day that she was here. Powie was a very special greyhound and she always will be.

Thank you again, everyone.

With Sadness...

~Chris and Krewe~

AL E POWEE (POWIE)

med_gallery_18352_3160_110662.jpg

August 26, 1996 ~ October 10, 2010

I am so very Sorry!!!!! :grouphug Beautiful Tribute. Tears and smiles!!!!!!

:f_red:f_red Run Free Powee :gh_run

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

:cry1 I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:f_pink

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound