Incontinence Questions

Guest taylorsmom

Guest taylorsmom

Hi everyone--

My friend has a 10 year old greyhound (she is not on Greytalk so I am posting the question for her) who has had kidney disease for about a year. My friend has been doing a great job of managing the disease with diet, medication, supplements and acupuncture, and her greyhound has done very well up until this weekend at Dewey (we just got back a few hours ago). Her greyhound all of a sudden became extremely incontinent, soaking the dog beds everytime she was laying down. I was thinking that maybe the stress of travelling might have caused this. We did all kinds of things with puppy pee pads just to get through the weekend. My question is--first of all, does anyone have experience with chronic kidney disease and incontinence with their dogs? Is this the beginning of the downward spiral in this horrible disease (my friend's vet won't give her a straight answer on this question, which is quite frustrating, but maybe there is no answer?). And the other question is--does anyone know where we could get some nice, greyhound-fitted "bad girl panties"?? I thought I have seen some people on here posting panties they have made for their dogs, just thought I would see if anyone here sells these for greyhounds. We got some doggie diapers at the pet store but they really didn't fit well and she could hardly walk with them on, poor girl!

Thanks for any help!!

Guest bluefawn

I did post a few months ago about my senior girl Penny becoming incontinent. I bought a 2-pack of the doggy pants at PetSmart. But the liners they sell didn't work very well. So I bought some disposable baby diapers at Wal-Mart, and those worked really well. I had to cut a small hole for her tail. I put the baby diaper inside the doggy pants and figured out from there where to cut the disposable diaper each time. My vet put her on PPA, and she only has an occasional leak now, and only when I forget a dose of the PPA (we had a death in the family recently and I just forgot). Penny's labs don't show any kidney disease or anything, but my vet said that it is probably due to her being spayed so young (at 5 months old - I won't be making that mistake with my whippet puppies), and also her age (she's 12 1/2). Hope this helps :)

Guest taylorsmom

I did post a few months ago about my senior girl Penny becoming incontinent. I bought a 2-pack of the doggy pants at PetSmart. But the liners they sell didn't work very well. So I bought some disposable baby diapers at Wal-Mart, and those worked really well. I had to cut a small hole for her tail. I put the baby diaper inside the doggy pants and figured out from there where to cut the disposable diaper each time. My vet put her on PPA, and she only has an occasional leak now, and only when I forget a dose of the PPA (we had a death in the family recently and I just forgot). Penny's labs don't show any kidney disease or anything, but my vet said that it is probably due to her being spayed so young (at 5 months old - I won't be making that mistake with my whippet puppies), and also her age (she's 12 1/2). Hope this helps :)

That sounds like a great idea!! Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, the vet told my friend that they can't put her on any meds for the incontinence because it will work against the meds for the kidney disease, so they are stuck.

I hope your friend has an appointment for the vet. A drastic change like that, in my opinion, would be cause for an immediate trip to the vet.

Almost all pet supply web sites sell doggy "diaper pants" for male and female dogs, or just use Google. She'll probably need to use a baby diaper inside.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've lost 3 dogs over the years to CRF but only in the last one, who made it to old age, did the sudden incontinence appear about 10 weeks before her quality of life in end-stage Renal Failure caused me to have her put to sleep.

I tried diapers but the only thing that helped was to get absorbent child's cot mattress protectors and cut them into 4 to go in her bed and then change them reguarly and sponge the poor dog clean.

You can get a special bed that's raised up with a drip tray beneath if this is going on long term.

Guest taylorsmom

I've lost 3 dogs over the years to CRF but only in the last one, who made it to old age, did the sudden incontinence appear about 10 weeks before her quality of life in end-stage Renal Failure caused me to have her put to sleep.

I tried diapers but the only thing that helped was to get absorbent child's cot mattress protectors and cut them into 4 to go in her bed and then change them reguarly and sponge the poor dog clean.

You can get a special bed that's raised up with a drip tray beneath if this is going on long term.

That is very helpful to know, thanks JohnF. I know that my friend is going to be just devastated to have to let her girl go, she is her heart dog.