Tramadol

For those of you with hounds on Tramadol, what's the prescribed dosage? How do they respond to it?

Echo (67lbs) is on 100mg 3x/day. I feel like I'm pumping her full of the stuff but the vet says we can even go up from there. Sure it's helping (she's also on 50mg Deramaxx), but not as much as I'd expect it to. She's better than she was but nowhere near 100%.

Thoughts?

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Diagnosis?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Vet thinks it's arthritis, but not 100% sure. Not CHD, probably not LS, but it's in that general area.

Edited by Brindles

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest Energy11

To ME anyway, that seems like a lot of Tramadol for arthritis. I know with Osteo, one can really high dose the Tramadol.

I have two with arthritis, and usually, I just use 37.5 mg of Deramaxx a day, but they aren't really that bad.

Good Luck! -

Ugh. Two days ago she started limping on our walk so I gave her a day off yesterday. Today she's still limping. It's ever so subtle, but she's been in this baseline chronic pain off and on for a couple years and I've never seen her limp. Echo is the most stoic dog I know, so for her to show signs of pain is telling.

I'm not sure what to make of this but it's getting awfully reminiscent of Julio's last few months. :mellow: I hope this goes away.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

Range for Tramadol is 2-5mg/kg every 8 - 12 hours. So for her weight, 150 mg per dose is at the high end.

I agree, that seems like a lot just for arthritis. When DesiRay (85 lb) was having his nail problems, he did ok on 100 mg, every 12 hours.

It never phased him with side effects, but I had a 60 lb (non-grey) a few years ago with horrible hips; she took 50 mg twice a

day. Toward the end, I tried to kick the dose up some, but it really knocked her for a loop. She couldn't even get up, just

wanted to lay & sleep; when she did get up, seemed "out of it."

Good luck. Hope she's feeling better.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Jamey has just has his osteo return and the vet started with 20 mg, twice a day, we were allowed to go up to 40 mg twice per day. This is the dosage we are on now. The vet said there were stronger drugs out there for Jamey as his pain increases.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Assume she's had x-rays in all the right places.......

The Tramadol won't hurt her but it won't do much for any inflammation she has, either. If the Deramaxx isn't helping either, might need to try some of the other anti-inflammatories to see if one *will* help her adequately.

Hugs and scritchies to prettiest girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So far there have been no visible side effects. She's always slept a lot, and has always been a little... loopy, as evidenced by this caricature my friend did!

caricatureecho01.jpg

I'm going to retract my previous statement, though. The first 2-3 weeks were pretty promising, but I think now she is right back to where she was before we started. At this point I don't think she's better at all. No other anti-inflammatories have helped her so far. Guess I'll call the vet tomorrow.

Personally I've suspected LS this whole time.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

Guest bellenzo

Mine took 50mg twice a day. Seemed to help a lot without side effects, although side effects can happen. My mom had to stop taking it because it caused her to lose weight.

Scoop-dog takes:

100mg Tramadol 3x per day

30mg Codeine Sulfate 2x per day (sometimes 3x on his bad days)

100 mg Novox 2x per day

Scoop has Osteo :( and these are the dosages that keep his pain at bay.

So basically she's getting a diagnosis typical of osteo, not of arthritis. And it's still not helping. Yeesh. And today she has an obvious limp. Not really sure what to do or think.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

100 mg seems like a LOT, especially for arthritis. Sutra takes Deramaxx for his osteo. On occasion I will add tramadol but no more than 75mg every 4-6 hours. It can make him restless and it makes him loopy/drunk. Usually I only give 50mg and that's usually enough to knock him on his butt, which I don't like. It makes him such a zombie that he's peed in his sleep :blink: He hovers around 60 lbs.

I'd be looking into other anti inflammatories if whatever you've tried hasn't helped. There are so many out there now. Tramadol isn't going to do anything for inflammation, it's just pure pain relief.

Do you use any supplements? I've used many and the best I've found is the joint health chewables from Springtime, Inc. They made a huge difference for Sutra when he was starting to get a little creaky (before his osteo dx).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I've tried glucosamine and chondroitin for a long time with no response. I've tried rimadyl. I've tried rimadyl and tramadol. I've tried baby aspirin. There have been several others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I've stayed away from MSM because my vet said it can cause liver damage over time. Now that shes on an NSAID, I'm even more wary of starting it. She responds only slightly to anti inflammatories but not enough to outweigh the risk and cost associated.

I'll be calling the vet shortly.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

Gosh Rachel, this is tough. Valentino was just diagnosed with arthritis. It showed up very nicely on an x-ray. I started him on supplements right away and he's doing quite well on them. If he goes outside and runs too much or too hard he will have a slight limp the next day. I just put him on metacam for a few days and he's good to go. I wish things were this easy for Echo.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Exactly, Judy. Julio's arthritis pain was an easy fix too (up until the last week). That's why I've suspected this whole time that it has to be more than that. She's had a lot of these symptoms since I got her at 4 years old, albeit on a smaller scale. Trouble getting up and down, holds her head low, and she has a goofy, twisty run. Even the way she wags her tail is different. Ever since she was 4. Now, five years later, all of those same symptoms are more exaggerated and they've started to bother her within the last few months.

Vet is going to look at her radiographs and call me back today.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

I almost wonder if she might benefit from some acupuncture or something of that nature...poor girl. Hope you figure something out! :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I think I'm with your thinking on this Rachel, it sounds like LS. Poor Saint has developed it over the last two years. The rear end weakness I was attributing to his medications got worse instead of better. He now runs with that twist to it and if you pat him on the rear with any force at all, his legs collapse under him. He's not showing any signs of pain yet though. He's able to get up and down with no problem and doesn't pant or anything like he's in pain. Sometimes he will whine a little when turning around and around to lay down but not often.

Have you thought of getting the depo medrol shot for her to see if she gets some pain relief from it?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Have you thought of getting the depo medrol shot for her to see if she gets some pain relief from it?

Yes, actually. I asked the doc about that and gabapentin. He said those were last resort type treatments and he'd rather try the anti inflammatory route first.

Sorry to hear about Saint! I had no idea of his diagnosis.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg