Harness And Coat - How Do You Manage Both?

For those of you folks who have their greyhounds wearing a harness, what do you do about their fleece coats in the cold weather? Callie only walks well with her harness but the leash attachment is on her back. Her fleece coat will cover it and we wouldn't have the control that we do now.

Should be put the harness over the coat? Just wondering what the best solution is so we won't have to go back to a collar & leash for the cold weather.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

You order a coat with a slit made in the appropriate spot for the harness/leash attachment. Any coat maker should be able to do this. I'd think putting the harness over the coat would be doable in a pinch but far from an easy or ideal solution, especially with a heavy winter coat.

Or if you could stand it, you could cut a slit in an existing coat yourself. I did this on one of several hand-me-down fleece coats I have (I use a harness sometimes, not predominately).

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I just re-adjust my guys harnesses for the winter to fit over their coats, I have not had any problems doing this, they walk fine. We always walk with harnesses and I actually have 2 sets of harnesses, one I keep adjusted to fit over their coats and one adjusted to fit without coats.

Edited by MyBoys

Harness goes on first, then the coat which has a slit in the back to accommodate the leash. Callie :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just adjust the harness to fit over their coats. I haven't had any problems with the harness working correctly that way.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest carmasims

if the coat is fleece alone, i usually just cut a small slit in the coat to allow the harness loop through! fleece doesn't fray so you shouldn't have any problems :)

I hadn't thought of adding the slit in the coat near the top where the leash could be pulled through. Good idea! We also have a harness that is a little too large for Callie but would go nicely over her coat. We'll try both ideas and see which one works the best and allows us good control while walking.

Great suggestions - thanks so much. You guys are the best.smile.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest brindleandfawn

We bought a harness this week at Dewey. The coat folks here said to put it over the coats, special order the lower leash slit, or, of course, you can do it yourself. I plan to put it on over the coat. We really like the harness. I think Sly is happy about no neck pulling.

Guest carmasims

everyone's got their own preference, i guess! :) we tried with the harness over the coats/sweaters, but found that it moved the clothing around a lot-- sometimes, by the end of the walk, chevelle's sweater would be all twisted around-- could be because he's pretty wiggly with happiness on walks though... :P

I forgot to mention to be careful about the type of clip you use if you do go the harness-under-the-coat route. It should be a smooth clip and not one with a piece sticking off of it, which could get caught in the coat and come undone. I also use a carbineer along with the clip for extra security, because I'm safety-neurotic :P

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The coats I make have a slit for the collar AND harness - I had struggled for years with coats that didn't have the slit so I started making my own coats.