Unexplained Sudden Yelping

Guest Janden

Guest Janden

Hi all

My grey is 8 years old and is on Propalin for incontinence. She has been on it for a few years and has had no problems so far. The vet diagnosed her with a heart murmur but said it was no cause for concern. She has dislocated a toe twice a couple of years ago but has not suffered since then. Occasionally when turning too quickly she yelps and holds her leg up. I give her a rub on her shoulder and then she is fine. She had both upper canine teeth removed two years ago. That is her medical history.

For a couple of days every now and then she will suddenly yelp, usually when she is lying in her bed. As far as I have seen she is not moving around when she yelps. I feel all over her and have not found any tender spots on her legs, abdomen, back or head. She is eating normally and her poops are normal. She is perhaps not so energetic as she used to be but I put that down to her age.

I am totally perplexed as to what the problem is. I will take her to the vet of course, but I just wondered if any of you knowledgable people had any ideas? I would be very grateful for any information you could give me.

Many thanks

Jan

Guest racergirl435

I would definitely take her to the vet. Seymour was doing the very same thing just before he started limping. He would just wake up from a nap and yelp. I hope this is the case for you, but for Seymour it turned out to be osteo. I would recommend getting x-rays of the offending leg and go from there.

Guest Janden

Is it just one quick yelp and that's it or does it go on for a while?

Jenn

Hi Jenn

It's one quick yelp, she has done it twice today, night before last she did it about six times during the night. She doesn't appear to be in pain, she is moving about okay.

Jan

Guest Janden

I would definitely take her to the vet. Seymour was doing the very same thing just before he started limping. He would just wake up from a nap and yelp. I hope this is the case for you, but for Seymour it turned out to be osteo. I would recommend getting x-rays of the offending leg and go from there.

Hi Racergirl

Thanks for the reply, that's a bit worrying. I will let you know how we get on.

Jan

Maybe a muscle spasm. Sam went through a spell like that, and it stopped as suddenly as it started. But a vet can examine your girl with an eye to looking for what areas seem to be most sensitive to his touch.

Keep track of how long after meals as well as what she seems to be doing--or about to do--when she yelps. Is it when she's been lying down for a while? Maybe sleeping "funny" so there's a twinge when she wakes up? That kind of info might help the vet.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

X-rays sooner rather than later.

Definitely. Nothing to play around with. However, my very first thought just from seeing the subject line & then your description really reminded me of two of my dogs, a Spaniel mix & my Greyhound. In both cases it was actually neck pain. And in both cases one round of acupuncture seemed to set things right. Hoping it is that mild & simple for your pup.

Well, I'll throw my story in just in case your vet cannot find anything else wrong.

Onyx was yelping 2 or 3 times at night and it seemed kind of strange that it was just out of the blue. No movement. No indication of where the problem might be. My vet could not find anything on physical examination, so we scheduled x-rays for the next day. That night I noticed him tilting his head slightly a couple of times. Next day, I mentioned it to the vet and he took a real good look in his ear, then apologized for missing whatever it was way deep in side. He managed to get a sample to test but gave me some drops in the meantime and they cleared up the problem pretty quick.

I am not saying your dog's problem is the same but just giving an example of how far off we (and our vets) can sometimes be with these mystery yelpings. Hopefully, yours will be easy to figure out and simple to fix but make sure he checks the ears just in case! :)

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

No input...just wishing you the best.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the input. Since I first posted she hasn't yelped again, she seems absolutely fine but I will take her to the vet for a check over.

Thanks again

Jan