Vibrating Jaw

Guest cwholsin

Guest NeroAmber

Nero did a few very quiet chatters over the last few months- then BOOM! Last week he started full-on chattering- it's so loud we didn't know what on earth it was at first! I was so happy I got a little bit tearful! Nero isn't amazingly open with his emotions, so a big, clear, loud chatter was such a wonderful way to know that he's HAPPY and loves being here! He hasn't stopped since last week- I just gave them dinner and got another round of happy teeth! :colgate

Oh yes. We've had a big smiler (Renie) and chatterers (Jim, Susan, Renie and Jack all chattered to some degree) and a little bit of shivering can go along with chattering.

But now we have a major shiverer in Sid. It's usually just his head and neck and more than one person has said 'Is that dog having a seizure?' :lol But when I went to pick him up from the 'kennel' (actually, his trainer's home) after being away for two weeks, and he caught sight of me through the window, his whole body was vibrating!

It was very funny, because he was standing in a crowd of happy dogs (six others) who were all bouncing, milling about and barking at me, wagging their tails like crazy, and he was standing like a statue, on full alert but shaking like a leaf. When she opened the door and let him out, he ran full tilt to me and stopped on a sixpence, leaning across my legs, so I got the full force of the tremor. Felt like an '8' on the Richter scale. :rofl

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest twhitehouse

Tess does this vibrating jaw thing. I guess it's just a different version of chattering. She also chatters too, but at random times she just do this vibrating thing. I think she's doing it because she's excited. I've noticed her doing it when Lexi has a toy she might want to play with and Tess will have her ears up and her jaw will be vibrating (no chattering sound though).

It's definitely a good thing though! :)

Stella was a smiler, big goofy grin, and a 'talker'

Jeffy doesn't smile but he chatters all the time. He also only wags his tail in a complete circle, when we first get home and he is excited chattering and tail going like crazy. My daughter calls it his 'helicopter tail'

Edited by Mystella

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest RocketDog

My boy does it too, and his half-bro did it while we had him as a foster. It was hilarious when they'd go off in unison, surround-sound chattering!

Guest greytpets

Yup, I have two chatterers.

People think they are cold all the time.

lol

haha yep ive got 2 chatterer and people always comment that he must be cold :)

Guest gr8hound47

Happy Hounds, we have to the chatter when they are excited!!! Have one that lost 4 of his small front teeth with a cleaning and now he really sound like woody woodpecker when he vibrates, because it really echo's, to cute.

Nadia chatters, quite loudly. Kara's jaw vibrates. Poor girl only has seven teeth left, so she couldn't actually chatter if she wanted to. "Chattering... It's how greyhounds purr."

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Marc, that's what we call it. The greyhound purr! Brilly is the only one of our three to do it, and he ranges from the jaw quiver, jaw shaking so hard it makes his head vibrate (how can he SEE like that!? :P ), to the full-on castanet chatter.

What does it mean? For Brilly, it means he's not eating or sleeping. :P He doesn't wag his tail much, but he does wag his jaw a lot!

Oh yes. We've had a big smiler (Renie) and chatterers (Jim, Susan, Renie and Jack all chattered to some degree) and a little bit of shivering can go along with chattering.

But now we have a major shiverer in Sid. It's usually just his head and neck and more than one person has said 'Is that dog having a seizure?' :lol But when I went to pick him up from the 'kennel' (actually, his trainer's home) after being away for two weeks, and he caught sight of me through the window, his whole body was vibrating!

It was very funny, because he was standing in a crowd of happy dogs (six others) who were all bouncing, milling about and barking at me, wagging their tails like crazy, and he was standing like a statue, on full alert but shaking like a leaf. When she opened the door and let him out, he ran full tilt to me and stopped on a sixpence, leaning across my legs, so I got the full force of the tremor. Felt like an '8' on the Richter scale. :rofl

:rofl I can just see this!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

In our house ty the female vibrates so fast its stunning. I don't understand how its possible to do but posativly the cutest behavior a dog could have.

Our Buck on the othetr hand "clicks" his teeth. He has pretty big teeth and the litteraly click together , unfortunatly for Buck his noise is usually because he 's nervous. But ty definitly happy!

Guest cwholsin

From observing when Hermes vibrates, it definitely seems to indicate excitement first and foremost, and sometimes just plain happies.

I like the 'purring' idea. It does seem awfully close to it!! lol.gif

Guest breakxdownn

Finley chatters a lot, especially when he's really excited! People get a kick out of it - the other night our friends said he sounded like the Predator in "Alien vs. Predators" :lol :lol :lol