Vibrating Jaw

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Sometimes Hermes' lower jaw will vibrate. It usually happens after we've been howling together, but sometimes happens randomly and sometimes when we're petting him.

We -think- it's his version of nitting his teeth at us, but we're not sure. Does anyone else have a hound that does this? His lower jaw literally vibrates. He's not clacking his teeth, he's vibrating. wink.gif

Sometimes Hermes' lower jaw will vibrate. It usually happens after we've been howling together, but sometimes happens randomly and sometimes when we're petting him.

We -think- it's his version of nitting his teeth at us, but we're not sure. Does anyone else have a hound that does this? His lower jaw literally vibrates. He's not clacking his teeth, he's vibrating. wink.gif

It sounds like he's a very happy boy in his new loving home! Many Greyhounds do some version of this behavior (including chattering teeth) when they feel extra happy and comfortable with their family. Have fun with your new boy!

My boy ranges from a vibrating jaw (as you described) to a full teeth chatter. Some Greyhounds also "smile/grin" by lifting their lips up showing their teeth when they are happy. One of my hounds does this upon awakening to greet me each morning. It's adorable... she makes my day!

Dazzle does that when he's super excited, more often in cold weather. He's really loud! It confuses people who hear it for the first time. "Is that coming from the dog?!" :lol Echo chatters too but she's more ladylike about it. ;)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest freightsmom

Freightliner has always been a lip quiverer as we call it in our house but just this past year he smiled for the first. He's 7 and we've had him going on 4 yrs. I was so excited I called DH immediately, who happended to be in Florida at the time, to tell him Freight just smiled for the first time. :lol

Last week, I opened one of the Natural Balance food rolls and was cutting it up for the pups when I hear this chattering of teeth. I spun around to see which of the four hounds was chattering and was surprised to see it was Aim. This girl doesn't lip quiver, smile or chatter.....well,at least up to now. Must have been the lamb food roll that got to her...LOL.

I love that just when you think you have these babies personalities all figured out, they go and surprise you :wub:

Beau is a MAJOR chatterer. He chatters when he is happyu, scared, nervous, anxious and excited. He basically chatters allll the time!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hoolyghans

Yep! Normal and means he's happy happy happy!

It's funny when someone sees it for the first time. We had one chatter at a vet tech who was giving him scritches, the poor girl almost fell over her own feet because she thought he was about to bite her.

I explained, she tentatively scritched some more and then declared it the cutest thing on earth colgate.gif

Guest Jubilee251

Take it as a compliment! Molly and Jet both chatter (quietly) when they are happy and/or excited, usually followed by a deep content sigh. (And then usually followed by a fart, but that's not as endearing or cute.)

Beth doesn't chatter audibly but she does vibrate -- I don't recall her doing it when she was new, but she definitely does it now. I get so many "Aww, she's shivering" comments now that the weather's cooler, and am constantly telling folks nope, she's not cold, she's just excited.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest cwholsin

Awww! That's great! We thought it was probably that, but weren't completely sure :)

Also, at this very moment, he's playing with himself. And by playing, I mean pretending to bite himself on the butt.... :P

We do lots of meet n greets and I often get questions from people about it: is he cold? is he scared? why is your dog's mouth quivering? I love they're reaction when I tell them he is happy! More petting and hugs!

june

We have two chatterers here too which leads to lots of questions at meet and greets. One of the hounds has a huge overbite so when he chatters, which is often, it is quite a sight. :lol

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Shakey face! :lol

Both of mine do that, Fenway more than Grace. Generally, it means they are happy hounds.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Hahaha, Myka was chattering at The Squeeze last night, we both just laughed and laughed cuz it's just adorable ;)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

It sounds like he's a very happy boy in his new loving home! Many Greyhounds do some version of this behavior (including chattering teeth) when they feel extra happy and comfortable with their family. Have fun with your new boy!

My boy ranges from a vibrating jaw (as you described) to a full teeth chatter. Some Greyhounds also "smile/grin" by lifting their lips up showing their teeth when they are happy. One of my hounds does this upon awakening to greet me each morning. It's adorable... she makes my day!

Yes, yes, yes, this is so true. My Nylah use to chatter teeth, and smile a lot. She would pull both sides of upper lip up to have a big smile with eyes squinted and all. And she would chatter long and loud a lot. What a happy girl.

Guest avadogner

Ava chatters and makes these grunty groaning noises that almost sound like a growl but for her means "oh please keep scratching that spot right there". It's still too early to tell with Augie (Day 17 in our home). It seems greys have their own language and it takes us people a while to "speak grey". It sounds like Hermes is very happy and in his own little piece of heaven.

-ava and augie's mum

DH's boy is a chatterer. EZ just chatters and chatters especially when he wants to go for a walk or he is headed on the road with his Daddy!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.