Any Experience With Rescue Remedy?

Guest DunksMom

Guest DunksMom

Hello all! So Dunkin' is still a mess in the car. Standing, panting, drooling......you get the picture. This is new behavior, he used to love the car. We used to drive 2 hours to ME for the weekends and he would lay down and pass out on the way there and back. Someone told me about Rescue Remedy and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this product. I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

-Emily & Dunkin'

I, too, have tried it - without much visible result in horses or dogs...but some people swear by it. I do know someone (with a non-grey) who was having trouble in the car and bought one of those pheramone collars at a pet store and said it calmed the dog right down.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Energy11

I really like Rescue Remedy for mild relaxation, but not sure it would help with what you are describing.

A LOT of people use Meclazine (Bonine) or Dramamine, for travel. Not only does it prevent nausea and vomiting, it is calming as well. You might want to try that. I have also used Valium (5) mg. when I had a senior who hated travel. NOT mixed, though.

Good Luck!

Guest DunksMom

I really like Rescue Remedy for mild relaxation, but not sure it would help with what you are describing.

A LOT of people use Meclazine (Bonine) or Dramamine, for travel. Not only does it prevent nausea and vomiting, it is calming as well. You might want to try that. I have also used Valium (5) mg. when I had a senior who hated travel. NOT mixed, though.

Good Luck!

Yeah, tried it today in the car on the way in and home from work and it didn't seem to work at all.....The dramamine makes sense because when the car is stopped Dunkin' relaxes and lays down, stops panting... Is there a "doggy" dramamine or were you just giving human dramamine? And what dosage?

Thanks!

I have used Rescue Remedy for years on both horses and dogs; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's usually my go-to-first attempt at calming. I keep a tin of the lozenges at my office :thumbs-up Passion Flower is good, too.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It works on some and not on others.

In my experience most people do not give near enough. I start with 2 or 3 droppers full (which is really about a dropper and a bit more as that funky dropper doesn't fill but about 1/2 way) straight on their tongue. You cannot get enough rescue remedy to do any good into a dog by putting it in water.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Good Luck!

I agree. I have used RR for myself on many occasions, especially as I am about to step into the show ring or a job interview. It really helps relax me, but if I were more than a little nervous, it probably would not help much!

I have noticed that RR seems to work okay on nervous dogs, too, but again, not if it's more than a little stage fright. I keep a bottle of the spray in my tack box for shows, and a tin of the lozenges in my purse.

BEAR IN MIND, however, the lozenges contain xylitol, so DO NOT give them to dogs! It's probably not enough to do harm in a Greyhound sized dog, but I prefer not to experiment!

But Dramamine tends to help when it comes to travel.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

RR doesn't seem to be as effective after the fact. If you can get it on board and working (if it works on your dog) before he starts having anxiety, then it *might* keep him a bit calmer. And it takes A LOT more than they say - one or two droppers to start with (instead of mere drops) and on up from there.

I would bet he's developed a bit of car sickness. The dramamine should help much more than the RR for this.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have used RR to good effect on myself and the shephard. However it doesn't always work for the dogs. Since we're about to move to Mississippi, I am going to go the dramamine route for all the dogs, as its at least a 12 hour ride.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Rescue Remedy is essentially alcohol with some herbs thrown in. You could probably get the same effect with vodka. :rolleyes:

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Rescue Remedy is essentially alcohol with some herbs thrown in. You could probably get the same effect with vodka. :rolleyes:

I was going to say this--it's flower "essence" in brandy, in point of fact!

I found it totally useless on George.

You'd have more luck giving him a couple of Benadryl an hour before the trip.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I was going to say this--it's flower "essence" in brandy, in point of fact!

I found it totally useless on George.

You'd have more luck giving him a couple of Benadryl an hour before the trip.

When it comes to the liquid, I do agree with this. However, I can attest to what the lozenges have done for me personally. However, as I stated above, they are not something I am willing to give to a dog.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I had one grey that I tried several things without much success. Working with my vet we finally came up with a combination that works. Give 1 ginger capsule and 1-6 mg melatonin (both human grade)given at least 1/2 hour before planning to leave. This did not put him to sleep, but there was no more drooling and he was relaxed on the trip.

Good Luck,

june