Growling After Resting Comfortably With Me

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles will be attending CGC class in a few weeks, and so I'd like to get some insight on some growling.

Sprinkles will snuggle up to me on the couch or bed quite often, and he's fine for a while. He'll put his feet and his head on my lap. Let me pet him. After 15-20 minutes, though, he'll growl (and sometimes bark) as if he just woke up and realized I was standing over him. (Neither is happening.) It's just seems strange that he exhibits what appears to be a form of space aggression after being fine for a while.

Does anyone have any insights on why this happening and how I might get it to stop? I don't want him doing this if we're on a therapy visit.

Does he do this at night when you sleep as well? My bridge boy Jack battled a sleep disorder where he would attack aggressively from a deep sleep - and then have no idea or recollection that he had done it. I would be happy to chat more if you want to PM me to get phone number, etc.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

It could be two things, one you could be dealing with sleep aggression if he's fallen asleep and your moving wakes him up and startles him. He may grow out of it and he may not.

The other thing is he may be comfortable and trying to let you know he doesn't appreciate your moving. If he's awake and growls, I'd make him get down immediately. He will soon learn that growling will get you ejected from the comfy couch or bed.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

He sleeps on his own puff and is fine all night.

Yes...when Jack slept alone it was not a problem. It was when he sensed us in the bed - but he clearly didn't know it was us....we knew it was physiological when I was able to catch it on video and we saw that his pupils were fully dilated even when I had the lights on with it happening. I was working w/Dr. Dodman at Tufts for intervention before Jack passed away from something unrelated.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

It could be two things, one you could be dealing with sleep aggression if he's fallen asleep and your moving wakes him up and startles him. He may grow out of it and he may not.

The other thing is he may be comfortable and trying to let you know he doesn't appreciate your moving. If he's awake and growls, I'd make him get down immediately. He will soon learn that growling will get you ejected from the comfy couch or bed.

Judy just described my Pooh girl.

She loves to curl up and cuddle with you but heaven for bid if you move or adjust yourself.

If she's sleeping or not she really gets ticked off :lol

She gives a growl and now knows that she did wrong so evicts herself off the bed or couch all on her own :)

I kinda look at it like they are being grumpy. Just like me, when Kevin climbs into bed and starts fussing around it totally pisses me off me :blush

Guest Tokolos

Greysandmoregreys - That's how it goes a lot of the time. Sprinkles seems to get really irritated, growls, and then leaves. I'm only concerned about it if we decide to do home visits (Sprinkles is working toward a TDI) in the future. I don't want him growling at an elderly person.

Guest Jollybug

Amazing. I was getting on here to ask this same question. we have only had our Greyhound, female for 2 months. She has just started growling when we get in her space. Not all the time. It seems to be after she gets comfortable.

Greysandmoregreys - That's how it goes a lot of the time. Sprinkles seems to get really irritated, growls, and then leaves. I'm only concerned about it if we decide to do home visits (Sprinkles is working toward a TDI) in the future. I don't want him growling at an elderly person.

I would definitely work through those issues before taking him anywhere where he is likely to become that comfortable.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We had this same issue with one of our hounds. He was perfectly content snuggling with a human and then if you moved at all, he growled. He was immediately corrected verbally and made to get off whatever he was on (lap, bed, couch). It took a few training momements but he learned to not growl when cosnuggler moved. He now lifts his head when someone is moving towards or away from his comfortable self.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)