Larry Attacked By Neighbor's Cat

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Sweet, sweet Larry was attacked about an hour ago by the neighbor's cat. He got him good on one of his ears and right below both eyes. Right below as in less than a millimeter below the eye line. I've stopped the bleeding on his ear, and the scratches below the eyes didn't really bleed. I've given him an aspirin for pain.

Should I take him to the vet? Of course, my regular vet closes at noon on Friday, and the e-vet doesn't open til 5:00. But.....if he needs to go, he needs to go.

Thoughts?

Edited by Adrianne

If it were one of mine, I would just keep the wounds clean and watch for infection. Kitty scratches can be nasty. *but* if you want to be paranoid since it's a 3 day weekend. Go to the vet and see if they will give you some antibiotics to prevent possible infection. ;)

------

Jessica

I'd call the vet, describe what happened and his injuries and see what they have to say and weigh my decision to take him in on that.

Poor Larry, I'm so sorry this happened to him. Gentle hugs for him.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I would at least call to be sure that they don't think he needs an antibiotic as cat scratches can get infected.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest bigorangedog

NO! Not my Larry!! I'm going to send one-toothed Chester down there to dispense with that cat immediately. He only has one tooth, but he knows how to use it! GRRRR

Anyway, if I were you I would clean him up good with some Bactene or Neosporin (maybe put on a q-tip to avoid getting it in his eye) and watch for infection. Definitely put some antibiotic goo on it.

And then give him tons and tons of extra treats and love. Maybe he needs a trip to McDonald's. Or a trip to Minnesota to be spoiled at Casa BigOrangeDog.

Guest Houndie

Poor, poor Larry! Our boy was also attacked by a cat last week -- what is up with the cat attacks?? I would also call the vet office and see what they think. We cleaned the wounds up, and put antibiotic cream on them, and they are healing. Greyson's wounds were not on the face, though, so that may make a difference. Let us know how he is doing.

Edited by Houndie

Guest Adrianne

Thank you everyone. I have an antiseptic spray I've used to clean the wounds and an antibiotic cream I've put on them. I will call the e-vet as soon as they open at 5:00.

The initial attack caused Larry to lose his footing, and he fell down. It took him a couple minutes to get back up, during which time the cat continued to attack and Larry screamed bloody murder.

Stupid cat!

Ugh, I am so sorry. I am not a cat person and stories like this really make that feeling stronger. A few weeks ago Carl, Claire & I were charged by what appeared to be a frightened/angry cat on the walk way. I was so afraid it would attack I'd turned on my stun gun. Fortunately, he zipped around us, but not before Claire pulled away from her shortened leash (it was still looped around my wrist) and stuck her nose on him. That scared me half to death, too. I yelled NO when I saw her lunging towards the cat, she just put her nose on his back. If she'd really wanted to harm him she'd have had a perfect opportunity. She is cat friendly and lived with 2 or 3 of them in her foster home. I think she was giving him a "gentle" warning. Scary scary, stuff.

Please give Larry an extra hug and cookie for his troubles...from his fan club here in Los Angeles.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Oh my precious precious Larry! Lucky for the stupid cat I wasn't around. I can't be held responsible when a villian of any type is hurting a hound I love. I kind of go beserk and attack back. Please give Larry kisses and scritches from his KY friends.:kiss2 Will be praying for his quick recovery. Would be careful about aspirin unless you know he can handle it. As long as it isn't a bite it shouldn't be a problem. Its the bites from felines that can be so devastating-usually want antibiotics for sure then. :getwell

Guest Energy11

I am soo sorry to hear about this!

As everyone was saying, clean wounds, antibiotic on cuts (*be CAREFUL not to get into eyes). I think he might need to be on oral antibiotics, as well. I wouldn't give the aspirin, as it IS a blood thinner. It probably isn't as painful as it looks.

Poor Guy! Yes, with the long weekend, (***however*** MANY vets will be open as Monday isn't a "real" holiday) I'd call the vet just to get his/her take on all of this, maybe prescribe an antibiotic cream that can be used near the eyes, and possibly an oral antibiotic.

Cal me if you need ANYTHING over the weekend!

Many hugs! Dee

Poor Larry!

Rocky got attacked by a declawed, white fluffy cat in our backyard once. He got bitten on the leg and it abscessed. Nasty!

You'll probably be OK just putting antibiotic cream on it and watching it.

What I want to know is where was Ollie in all this!

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Oh poor Larry! You're on the right track, and knowing him, he'll heal up in no time just because he won't want to worry you, the sweetheart. The vet may want to put him on antibiotics to prevent any infection, but it's very lucky the cat missed his eyes.

Hugs and healing thoughts to both of you!

Guest Adrianne

Poor Larry!

Rocky got attacked by a declawed, white fluffy cat in our backyard once. He got bitten on the leg and it abscessed. Nasty!

You'll probably be OK just putting antibiotic cream on it and watching it.

What I want to know is where was Ollie in all this!

Unfortunately (or fortunately for the cat), Ollie was not outside when this happened. After seeing how she's protected Larry from other dogs, I fear she would have torn in to the kitty.

I have since learned more of the cat's story, and I have to take back my "Stupid cat" remark and replace it with "Stupid Owner."

The cat is a female and was a completely indoor cat (and had been for years) up until four months ago. At that time, my neighbor's daughter, who lives with her mom, gave birth to her first child. The day the baby came home from the hospital, this indoor and unfixed kitty was put out to be a completely outdoor cat. Well, of course she got pregnant and now has a litter of kittens. They're very new, and their box is outside right close to the property line.

So.....when Larry very innocently ventured too close (in the Mama cat's opinion) to the box, she went crazy. She didn't care that he was in his yard; she just saw this sweetie boy as a threat.

How brilliant, how kind & caring of my neighbor to throw her unspayed pet out into the wide open world of stray, unfixed male cats.

Guest greytloves

Larry needs to learn some kitty defense training! Maybe employee a small terrier to patrol the yard for awhile!

Poor guy! I can just see the "what did I do to deserve this? why, oh why is kitteh so evil?" Poor boy. Hope you go out there with him next time to be his bodyguard!

You in jammies : RUN, Larry RUN!

Larry: :gh_run

You still in jammies: OK kitty it is time to meet my friend the water hose!!

Kitty : ACK! WATER!

besides the injuries, there is some humor to be had! Hope he feels better soon and gets lots of :cookie for not attacking back!

It normally is the owners, isn't it? It is a good thing Ollie did not tear up the kitty or you would be dealing with motherless kittens!

Edited by greytloves

I think Larry needs to come to FL and recover in the warm weather lounging by our pool.;) Oh, and isn't that always the way? Stupid owners! :angryfire Don't get me started!

Larry, honey, you just make sure that your Momma gets you absolutely e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g your need to recover. Hope you feel better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Gee whiz, Adrianne, I'm just seeing this. My poor Larry :kiss2 I hope he is feeling better today. :grouphug for you both.

Yeah, good thing Ms. Ollie wasn't around when this happened. Is there any chance of trapping and rehoming the kitteh and her litter? Those neighbors :angryfire

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Poor Larry. I hope he heals up without consequence; I think antibiotics are a good idea too.

What is wrong with those neighbors? Don't they know that a cat can live with a baby? If she has always been an inside cat, I can't imagine how many litters she will have

and/or how long she will last outside. :angryfire

Edited by maryz

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Adrianne

Good morning, and thank you for all the good thoughts. The vet says we are doing fine with what we're doing, and so we'll keep the areas clean and covered in antibiotic cream for the next few days.

He slept peacefully last night and is still sleeping this morning. Not unusual for him, as he is always a late riser.

He's just such a sweetie, and this really seemed to scare him as much as anything. He was nervous about going outside when we took our walk yesterday evening.

As for my neighbor, sigh......unfortunately, her treatment of the cat is kind of par for the course of how she treats her animals. Her cousin, Allison, is the mother of Seth's girlfriend. Allison told me yesterday that she had tried to talk B (the neighbor) for years about having the cat fixed, even when she was an indoor cat. She also said that B was very surprised when the cat became pregnant after being tossed outside. Hello!!! What did you think was going to happen? She also has two outdoor dogs that would be wonderful pets for someone willing to give them some time and attention.

Our Larry sends healing wishes to your Larry. Our Larry does not care for cats and just shook his head when he heard your Larry's story.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)