New To Greyhounds And Their Diets

Guest Teenieleenie

Guest Teenieleenie

We adopted an ex-racer about 2 months ago. She's a 3 year old fawn with a slight limp. We have 3 other rescue mutts and have been feeding them home cooked meals since the dog food scare several years ago. We generally use ground beef, roast or chicken as the protein and mix this with macaroni and cheese along with frozen mixed vegetables or string beans. We have Iams kibble available all day for inbetween meals.

All my dogs are healthy and the vet, although dismayed at my choice of diet for them over the years, always gives them a clean bill of health twice a year.

I've been reading up on Greyhounds and it seems they may need a more specialized diet than what I'm currently preparing. The greyhound absolutely loves the food we prepare and rejects the Iams kibble. Should I be adding something special to her diet to ensure her health ?

Thanks for reading this and I hope to get some good advice ! Thanks all !

The only problem I see with the diet you've been feeding is that it doesn't seem really balanced, but I am no expert. Iams is also not generally the best food, but if your dog is thriving on it, then you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm a HUGE fan of Taste of the Wild and all your dogs may do well on it. Otherwise if you do a search on here, you'll find a list of grades for pet food that is pretty informative.

Good luck, and welcome!

Guest sirsmom

I've read you can feed up to 1/4 cup a day of homecooked food without vitamin supplementation but anymore than that needs additional vitamins. You can do a search for homecooking for dogs. I have a friend that used to homecook for her dog and I believe she added a multi-vitamin tablet and calcium carbonate, but I'm sure there is a lot of info in the library and online that could verify this.

Guest greyhound9797

We adopted an ex-racer about 2 months ago. She's a 3 year old fawn with a slight limp. We have 3 other rescue mutts and have been feeding them home cooked meals since the dog food scare several years ago. We generally use ground beef, roast or chicken as the protein and mix this with macaroni and cheese along with frozen mixed vegetables or string beans. We have Iams kibble available all day for inbetween meals.

All my dogs are healthy and the vet, although dismayed at my choice of diet for them over the years, always gives them a clean bill of health twice a year.

I've been reading up on Greyhounds and it seems they may need a more specialized diet than what I'm currently preparing. The greyhound absolutely loves the food we prepare and rejects the Iams kibble. Should I be adding something special to her diet to ensure her health ?

Thanks for reading this and I hope to get some good advice ! Thanks all !

Macaroni and cheese? Like the Kraft or Velveeta product? That's a new one! I feed raw which I find, among other things, more nutritionally balanced and easier than anything else. Canines truly don't need (or even digest well) the macaroni, cheese or veggies. If you're not interested in a raw diet, I guess you could keep doing what you're doing but keep in mind that those veggies aren't necessary since a dogs' digestive tract can't even process them unless they are mush. Cheese is just a flavorful fat and calorie addition, the macaroni is filler but the meat is good as long as you aren't feeding any cooked bones.

There is no breed of dog that requires a different diet than any other breed, barring any health issues. Iams is one of the lowest rated foods you can feed and allowing free feeding can many times lead to overweight pets.

Sandra in FL

No, greyhounds don't need a special diet. As long as your hound is doing well on what you are feeding your other dogs (good weight, muscle tone, solid formed stools) it's not an issue.

However I do think you should look into calcium needs - dogs usually need 1 tsp of calcium per pound of food or something like that. I also feed raw like a previous poster and the advantage of that is that if you're feeding the right amount of meat and bones then the calcium needs are met automatically. And I agree that there's no need for veggies or grains, but as long as it doesn't cause them digestive issues and isn't taking the place of meat and the nutrients that they do need.

I'm sure they love it, but it doesn't sound very balanced to me either.

Iams used to be considered a premium food, but it isn't anymore. There are LOTS of good kibbles, nutritionally complete, all natural, no junk added. If you like making their meals, I say go for it, but maybe do a little research? Not sure there is much, if any, nutritional value in mac and cheese, unless you're a fussy six year old who won't eat anything else! Specially if it's the kind you make from a box.

Welcome to GT, by the way!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytloves

It sounds as if you will do the extra things for your dogs diets, so I would certainly suggest reading some of the numerous posts on GT about nutrition. A lot of great advice and opinions. Maybe it can help you make some changes, additions or modifications for everyone.

I also love TOTW. Not knowing your grey, keep in mind that free feeding with kibble may not work. I have one that would eat all day if you do that and one that would not. So, just keep that in mind. Some from kennel worlds have lived in a world of eat when the food is down and if not it will be taken back up!

feeding is always such a diverse topic,,, I often think about how the dogs we had as kids lives long lives on scraps my mother gave them along with raw eggs from our chickens everyday and day old homemade bread,,, no dry or canned food, :blink: she wormed them once a year and gave them baths with a smelly soap "to keep bugs away", :lol , anyway,,, I do homecooked and dry,,, and I enjoy cooking for them,, the only thing I can see is maybe to make sure they have enough calcium, yogurt,, cottage cheese is given here, I use Taste of the Wild dry