Grain-Free Recommendation

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

I had my Tahoe on natural balance for many years, on the advice of his vet who said he was allergic to chicken and needed a different single-source protein food.

Now my Brendan has severe diarrhea, and I've been told he may need to be on grain-free feed.

I'm sure others have done this research.

Please tell me which grain-free feed is the best and most economical for the greyhound?

Thanks,

joyce

Gee had allergies and we switched her to Taste Of The Wild and she's doing wonderfully on it. There are several varieties from bison to duck. You can check out their website and see what they offer and what you think would be best for your pup.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest EmbersDad

we have been using taste of the wild's salmon based kibble for althea and hero. i mix in a bit of the bison/venison canned with it. oddly enough, the high prairie canine kibble ( the bison/venison) does list checken in it's ingredients, however the canned stuff does not. althea has grown the fur back on her side. it has taken a few months, but she is looking good.

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (salmon) and the new Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain (lamb; not available everywhere yet) are the only two TOTW formulas without chicken. Lots of hounds on this site, mine included, do terrifically on TOTW Pacific Stream, and TOTW is one of most economical grain-free foods too.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Another vote here for TOTW Pacific Stream. :thumbs-up

I feed it to all 3 of mine and go through about 2.5 bags/month.

(We tried the High Prairie and Wetlands versions (although, admittedly, only the trial sizes) and didn't do as well on those.)

Guest greyhoundude

The best? Orijen

The most economical? Taste Of The Wild

I feed my guys Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with excellent results.

I also feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream to my two with excellent results.

To jazz it up, I sometimes add in boiled chicken or boiled beef. I also add liquid to the dry food. Not to be gross, but they went from pudding poo to rolling tootsie rolls - a sight I waited many years for!

Guest TBSFlame

Gee had allergies and we switched her to Taste Of The Wild and she's doing wonderfully on it. There are several varieties from bison to duck. You can check out their website and see what they offer and what you think would be best for your pup.

I have recently put Star on Taste of The Wild. She has a runny nose most of the time. Thought I would try a food change. Dh and I are on a grain free diet and we are both feeling so much better. Thinking maybe all the hounds may need to be on TOTW.

Guest KennelMom

The best? Orijen

The most economical? Taste Of The Wild

I feed my guys Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with excellent results.

:nod Though, PS did not sit well with about half our crew. We feed the High Prairie.

Guest fandogs

I feed TOTW, Pacific Salmon to both, my 5 YO and my senior 9 YO.

They do great on it. I add some canned to the older girls food... She is a bit more spoiled then the younger one. LOL.

Great stools and very minimal gas.

All of my dogs eat TOTW Pacific Stream. My mom started her two out on the Pacific Stream, then decided to try the High Prairie, but had to switch back to the Pacific Stream because the High Prairie gave her boy runny poop :dunno My guess is the chicken. I have at least 2 pups here (I suspect 3) that can't have anything with processed chicken.

Oddly they can eat a cooked chicken breast without a problem :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Natural Balance makes grain free food. I feed Fish and Sweet Potato.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

TOTW here. High Prairie right now. Pacific Stream works well also but HP is their preferred flavor. The duck version seemed the one their palates liked theist but not tmy nose. Apparently it wasn't just my crew as the K9 PT had same prob w/ her Dobes. "The fowl formula produced foul air," is how I remember her describing it.

TOTW line has formulas with a range of Pro & Fat levels to suit different dogs. It is the most economical grain free I have fed. Produces better stool quality. Is quite readily available in our area which is a big bonus. My Grey has a gorgeous coat even without supplementation. Just realize that it may not have grain but still has lots & lots of potato.

My staghound prefers the Earthborn grain free formula. It is the second most affordable grain free in our area. She holds her weight very well on it which is a big deal. Not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it just because I know of no one else feeding it so cannot compare experiences.

Wellness Core did work well for my girl but had 3 big drawbacks: 1-price, 2-few points of sale, 3-availability even at POS.

EVO... OMG so many people love this stuff but mine had horrid soft stool regadless of how slowly switched. Someone suggested a fast switch instead. EEEK! Plus two of mine didn't like it so much unless the red meat formula.

Natural Balance was the least liked & is a potato & meat food as opposed to a meat & potato food. TOTW already has more than enough potato. No need for us to use something with even more. Plus it is more expensive.

Another vote for TOTW. Phaelin eats the Pacific Salmon but I started him on the High Prairie. His stools are firmer on the PS than on the HP.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest WhiteWave

To buy up front Taste of the Wild seems like the best, but I found we went thur more kibble than feeding some of the others so they worked about to be about the same price as feeding Evo, but it really depends on which food works better for your dog.

My dogs overall preferred Earthborn Holistic Primitive. They all did very well on it other than Ripley gaining too much weight, but helped my other dogs who tend to be thin! Even my one I thought had chicken allergies could eat it.

I gave up on kibble and went back to raw. But I do feed fosters kibble and I'm using Taste of the Wild on my current foster as Evo was too rich for her. She is eating the Pacific Stream and doing really well on it.

Guest greytloves

I feed EVO until my supplier stopped selling it and went looking to buy elsewhere until they were bought by P&G. Then I switched to TOTW, so far so good.

Guest sweetpea

I just bought a bag of the costco grain free, "Nature's Domain".

It's Salmon and Sweet Potato.

I decided to try it because Sebastian (the rat terrier), has some skin issues and some

itching issues and I wanted to see if grain might be the culprit.

It was $29.99 for a 35# bag.

Sebby has a cast-iron stomach, so I don't foresee any trouble transitioning him over (but I will take care, of course)

If Sweetpea thrives on it, it will be half the price of her old food.

Finger's crossed.....

I'll let you know how it goes

Buzzy

I've been rotating formulas of TOTW, which is more economical than the others I've looked at. Wasn't impressed with the Wetlands formula. I had to feed more of it and their coats didn't look as good, so I cut it out of the rotation.

I just rotated from Pacific Stream to High Prairie, and now they have big D. This hasn't happened before... usually I can switch them fast (over a couple of meals) and it doesn't bother them at all. Maybe they changed the formula?

Might have to stick with Pacific Stream if this continues, but I like to give them a variety.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Instead of lugging heavy bags around, we went to a dehydrated (just add water) dog food and started feeding Honest Kitchen Embark. The ingredients are awesome and my dogs love this food! We get a ten pound box which will make over 40lbs of food when mixed with water. Also, it doesn't take up all the room in my house like our old big bags of food did. We couldn't get it in our area so I've gotten it online. The shipping is cheap because the box is light and not bulky. We've got it from from this company and shipping was fast.

Guest caiteag

While I know lots of people who have found their hounds do great on TOTW, I should tell you that it made my Choo Choo sicker than any other food we have tried. She is currently on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison and Sweet Potato and does WONDERFULLY.

Guest xshivax

While I know lots of people who have found their hounds do great on TOTW, I should tell you that it made my Choo Choo sicker than any other food we have tried. She is currently on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison and Sweet Potato and does WONDERFULLY.

My dogs didn't care for TOTW dog food and not sure about anything made by Diamond.