Finding Ticks On Brindles?

Guest brit1

Seeking to adopt a grey and was trying to keep to fawn and other light coloring. I see a lot of brindles, can you possibly spot ticks on them? My other grey is fawnish coloring and often I can spot a tick before it attaches OR gets on me while he is on my bed. Admittedly there are lots of times I do not see them until they attach and find by feeling a lump. Brit

Ticks are not an issue here, but they're always pretty easy to find on short-haired breeds regardless of color. For me, at least. :dunno

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I have only ever had one on my brindle boy. We had stopped using Frontline too early :blush It was slightly engorged, not huge, and it was gray in color - he is a red brindle. If you are in a hot tick area, I would recommend using a topical year round so as not to worry about it. Good luck.

thanks for responses. I am allergic to antibiotics for lyme disease so trying to avoid getting it. I like my dogs to sleep on bed with me. Somehow I convinced myself that if I only adopt light colored dogs I can spot the ticks crawling on them and perhaps avoid them getting on me. I guess I have already disproved that by finding embedded ticks on my light one so obviously didn't see them crawling =:0 A friend has an american eskie which of course is white but such a thick/long coat apparently impossible to see a tick most of the time so perhaps better to have short coat brindle :) Btw thanks for mentioning check their feet, never even thought of ticks on their feet :eek Frankly I don't think there is any real way to avoid the little buggers. I don't do chemicals and have had pretty good success using alternative tick repellents. brit

Guest sc1911cwp

I have two adopted brindles males and I believe you will not have a problem. I frequently take them in the woods and find ticks without to much difficulty. You will notice a slight upraising of the hair if it latches on. If you use a tick preventative do not be surprised if you find a dead tick latched on, that's how some preventatives work. Be sure to check between the toes and under them. I found 32 ticks after a five minute outing in the woods one day. Yes, I freaked out at first, but if you look and feel you can usually find them. Be warned, sometimes you find them in the house:) BTW, preventatives don't necessarily mean they won't latch on, the insecticide in their skin kills them when they do. Hope this helps. BTW, let the guys in the woods, no harm done and the ticks don't seem to mind:).