How Long Before The 'empty Promise'

depends on the dogs and how old they are when they're neutered. Dude was done when he was barely two, and he doesn't really have a "coin purse" at all. And hasn't since we got him a month or so afterwards. Copper's is still visible, though much shrunken from when he had the surgery at 5 years old (he was also cryptorchid so his "purse" wasn't full to begin with).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We adopted an old boy (non-greyhound) at the age of 10 and we had it done then. He had quite the coin purse for a while and, whenever he exercised, it kind of puffed up a bit. I'd say it took about 6 months to go to its permanent state, which was certainly not non-existent but you didn't really notice and it stopped puffing.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

For Ollie who was 3 when he was neutered. It took about a month for the sacs to completely deflate.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest RocketDog

Rocket was neutered at 3, and he sported the 'saggy baggie' look for a good 6 months or so. I've seen older stud dogs done at 7 and 10 and they kept their 'purses' longer than the young guys, but theirs all dwindled away in time. Maybe not totally gone, but not the same look as a fresh job, if that makes sense.

Guest PhillyPups

DonnieDude - well I think he ended his career cause his knees hurt - he was well endowed. He was 4 and healed quickly - I think my Donnie Baseball (racing name) was just happy that when they took his ballz they left his bat!! :lol

Robin was just over 2, and it didn't take long to all but disappear.

It was gross at first, though. It was the only thing that touched the floor when he sphinxed. :puke (Sorry for that image. I just couldn't resist.)

Bad image :lol:lol Pop didn't have anything when I adopted him, so Uno (foster) is the first one I've seen right after being neutered (I watched the surgery years ago, just never had to deal with the after look). I feel like I'm violating Uno if I look back there to see how it's healing, but I check it over anyway :eek:blush He goes to his first meet'n'greet tomorrow, so I'm hoping no little kid asks what that is on him...that'd be just my luck to try to come up with some age appropriate language for the kids.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lgyure85

Our 3 year-old Boston has been neutered for over a year and still has a bit of a "coin-purse." You would think they could just take that too and sew it up, since they're in there anyway!

I think the younger they are the faster they shrink. My little boys were all under 3 and they went down pretty quickly, a lot quicker than my others who were all over 3 when they were neutered.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lynne893

LOTFRMAO.

Thank you for this thread! I was just over there in Remembrance crying my eyes out. I needed the laugh!

PS my favorite is the dog whose stuff hit the floor when he sphinxed!

Just to let ya'll know I thought about you all the other night, I'm sitting in the chair reading a magazine, listening to the tv & I look over on my bed & Gabby is stretched out across the bed, and Smiley is laying behind her with his hind leg on her back & I happen to notice, there's barely even a money clip back there now...When he stood up, then it came back...he he he he

I didn't dare tell him we were talking about their "stuff".

Funny this should come up. Yesterday when we were out walking, we ran into my neighbors, who just adopted a boy from my group (We have a walking buddy now!). They said "The paperwork said he was neutered, but it doesn't look like it!" I took a looksie and yep, he had a mighty big purse there. I assured them it was normal and they'd know it if he wasn't neutered!

It made me think of Roscoe when I first got him.. I thought it was icky and didn't understand why they didn't just get rid of the whole thing. But now.. his purse could barely hold a quarter!

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

But now.. his purse could barely hold a quarter!

:colgate Poor guy, that won't buy him much.

This thread has enlightened me. I didn't realize they got smaller. I just mentioned to someone that my foster must of had some big gonads compared to my other male. Now I know why they are bigger. :blush

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Going home to check out how big Zuri's purse is! :gmark

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."